The Student Room Group

Biochemistry Uni Choices

edit:removed
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by asdfghjklidek
Hi everyone, I'm looking at sending off my UCAS application as soon as possible as I have approval for every aspect of it incl. personal statement but I backed out of sending it because I'm unsure of my uni choices.
To preface I have 41 IB points with a 7,6,6 at HL, 10A*s and 2As at GCSE and my uni choices are as follows:
UCL (Ambitious)
Edinburgh
King's
Exeter
Bath
But I feel as if my predicted score is not competitive for UCL and I'm having doubts about Bath and Exeter as a whole. I'm also considering swapping one of them for a different one but I'm not sure.
I'm an international applicant so I can't go and visit but I was wondering if anyone could shed light on location factors and whether my university choices are viable.

Whether you are competitive or not depends largely on the requirements of the five universities compared to your exam results. And I'm too hung over to bother looking them up...
[QUOTE=ageshallnot;68272264]Whether you are competitive or not depends largely on the requirements of the five universities compared to your exam results. And I'm too hung over to bother looking them up...

Most of the universities list 32-36 for entry requirements except for UCL which has 38 with 7,6,6 at HL but I've been told by my teacher that UCL is very hard to get into hence the confusion
Most of the universities list 32-36 for entry requirements except for UCL which has 38 with 7,6,6 at HL but I've been told by my teacher that UCL is very hard to get into hence the confusion

Yes, UCL is very competitive but so what? You have already exceeded their requirements (you say you already have your grades) so you obviously have an excellent chance.

As for the others, you exceed all their requirements by a margin ranging from significant to huge. You will get 4-5 offers.
Hi everyone, I'm looking at sending off my UCAS application as soon as possible as I have approval for every aspect of it incl. personal statement but I backed out of sending it because I'm unsure of my uni choices.
To preface I have 41 IB points with a 7,6,6 at HL, 10A*s and 2As at GCSE and my uni choices are as follows:
UCL (Ambitious)
Edinburgh
King's
Exeter
Bath
But I feel as if my predicted score is not competitive for UCL and I'm having doubts about Bath and Exeter as a whole. I'm also considering swapping one of them for a different one but I'm not sure.
I'm an international applicant so I can't go and visit but I was wondering if anyone could shed light on location factors and whether my university choices are viable.

You will get 5 offers easily, aim higher.
Reply 5
Posted from TSR Mobile

I personally haven't applied for biochemistry, but I know someone who has and they really liked York and Warwick. There's also Imperial College London as well that I think you have the grades for. Though I would look at the courses as they all are slightly different in terms of content depending on the university. If you're into the medical side a lot you might like Newcastle.
My son looked at Birmingham.. Southampton, Leicester, York, UEA, Warwick and Sussex. Dropped Leicester (no particular reason apart from it just got pipped by five others ) and Sussex (just didn't like the feel of the place, sadly). He got offers from all five that he applied to and after revisiting all of them, decided to accept Birmingham. The lab facilities aren't the shiniest and newest, but overall he felt that the university had the best of all worlds with regard to general facilities, campus, the general area and proximity to the city centre etc. I don't think that he has regretted his choice.

He got AAAAA in the three sciences and Maths, plus General Studies and accepted Birmingham's 'unconditional if firmed ' offer, but this was not the main deciding factor as he was predicted to meet his offers anyway.
[QUOTE=emduck;68274226]Posted from TSR Mobile

I personally haven't applied for biochemistry, but I know someone who has and they really liked York and Warwick. There's also Imperial College London as well that I think you have the grades for. Though I would look at the courses as they all are slightly different in terms of content depending on the university. If you're into the medical side a lot you might like Newcastle.
I thought of ICL but I don't want to apply to two risky universities which is my main issue because as an international applicant I feel like it may be even more competitive.
[QUOTE=Isinglass;68274556]My son looked at Birmingham.. Southampton, Leicester, York, UEA, Warwick and Sussex. Dropped Leicester (no particular reason apart from it just got pipped by five others ) and Sussex (just didn't like the feel of the place, sadly). He got offers from all five that he applied to and after revisiting all of them, decided to accept Birmingham. The lab facilities aren't the shiniest and newest, but overall he felt that the university had the best of all worlds with regard to general facilities, campus, the general area and proximity to the city centre etc. I don't think that he has regretted his choice.

He got AAAAA in the three sciences and Maths, plus General Studies and accepted Birmingham's 'unconditional if firmed ' offer, but this was not the main deciding factor as he was predicted to meet his offers anyway.
That's wonderful! Might I ask how he's enjoying his biochem course so far?
Reply 9
In terms of university choices I've looked around Edinburgh and Bath. Edinburgh looked like a really nice city to study in, though I have heard accommodation after first year can be a bit expensive, but there was a friendly environment around campus when I went. Bath is a much smaller city, and it felt quite secluded, however the city has many shops and it is very beautiful and it is a very safe city. The campus is about a 15 minute bus ride from the city centre and it's relatively modern. Again very friendly environment. I can't talk about the course though as I'm interested in Chemical Engineering.
That's wonderful! Might I ask how he's enjoying his biochem course so far?

Latest report is that he is still happy with his choice. Lab sessions sometimes a a tedious, but he reckons that anyone who finds them exciting is probably doing something wrong ...

Quick Reply

Latest