Turn on thread page Beta

Royal Holloway or Southampton for Computer Science w/ Security Emphasis watch

• View Poll Results: Royal Holloway or Southampton?
    Royal Holloway
    55.56%
    Southampton
    44.44%
    Other
    0%

ReputationRep:
    Royal Holloway: MSci in Computer Science (Information Security) - full GCHQ accreditation

Southampton: MEng in Computer Science (Cybersecurity) - part GCHQ accreditation

Looking at a career in cybersecurity. If any other universities can be recommended as well, that would be great!

ReputationRep:
    These 2 universities are well above all the others that offer similar courses. Not too many unis offer these courses at undergraduate level. It's mostly postgrad.

Those that I know offer these courses are University of South Wales, Plymouth and Bournemouth.

ReputationRep:
    I went to Royal Holloway this year taking that course. The campus is amazing and teachers are really good, even though I withdrew because it wasn't the right course for me I would still recommend it to people passionate about cyber security, just make sure you study the mathematics for it beforehand so that you're not behind in class (which is what I did) and learn basic programming if you haven't done it before then I definitely would recommend it. Lectures are informative, you also get extra lectures if you've never done programming, there are classes for students who struggles with the maths side and there are lab sessions where we had to code in Java and do group work together. The university is really good, the only problem I had was the social life, but since you're a CS student I don't think you're going be going out a lot anyway since you will be very busy but yeah the university is quite far from Central London so it isn't going to be lively but if you're the person who likes nature then RHUL.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 5, 2016
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  2. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. Bishop Grosseteste University
    All Courses Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.