The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Lol wow you should feel lucky you're not working 80-90 hour weeks in investment banking.
You need to grow up.
Have to reply since I accidentally liked your post OP. I didn't mean to :colondollar:

Suck it up or find something else.
9-5 isn't even long.
Find something you enjoy.
Or work less and be poor.
Original post by Anonymous
But it's just the fact that I wake up at 6:30am every day for work, have to travel to work, get back home in the evening and then I only have a few hours to do things like cook, eat, shower, wash the dishes and then the night is already over and I have to sleep.

Live closer to your workplace?
Original post by Juno
I used to work fora theatre company. 48 hours a week, and i got paid less than i do now with nowhere near the same work life balance or job satisfaction

What exactly is your current job then?
Original post by Juno
I used to work fora theatre company. 48 hours a week, and i got paid less than i do now with nowhere near the same work life balance or job satisfaction

So what's your role NOW that offers 3 days a. Week
I graduated last year and I'm slightly depressed about my life right now. I have no friends, I have no free time to do anything and I'm not really happy with my job. I got my job as soon as I graduated, since then I've had no social life whatsoever, all my uni friends have left me, I don't like where I work and it's just this 9 to 5 hours doesn't appeal to me.

Sometimes my job involves being placed "on-call", so at weekends I may have to sort out something if it breaks. But it's just the fact that I wake up at 6:30am every day for work, have to travel to work, get back home in the evening and then I only have a few hours to do things like cook, eat, shower, wash the dishes and then the night is already over and I have to sleep.

I don't like this 9-5 lifestyle at all, I just can't handle it anymore, it just makes me shattered every day and I'm very unhappy. I am getting a decent salary and good benefits, I just can't see myself leave. But i think it's a combination of not being happy with my job and the 9-5 hours and not having friends as well.

Any advice?

Know the feelin, I cant stand this "work for a living" crap either. And if you're on min wage, you still work, but you dont get a living. You work every day and, as you say, get tired and have limited hours. But yet you still dont get to own your own Lamborghini or become exempt from arrest.

If I was king of the world:

Nobody would work full time hours
Everybody would be employed (1 full time job becomes 2 part time ones)
Everybody would be paid well enough to enjoy life
Recessions would be banned
Reply 26
I graduated last year and I'm slightly depressed about my life right now. I have no friends, I have no free time to do anything and I'm not really happy with my job. I got my job as soon as I graduated, since then I've had no social life whatsoever, all my uni friends have left me, I don't like where I work and it's just this 9 to 5 hours doesn't appeal to me.

Sometimes my job involves being placed "on-call", so at weekends I may have to sort out something if it breaks. But it's just the fact that I wake up at 6:30am every day for work, have to travel to work, get back home in the evening and then I only have a few hours to do things like cook, eat, shower, wash the dishes and then the night is already over and I have to sleep.

I don't like this 9-5 lifestyle at all, I just can't handle it anymore, it just makes me shattered every day and I'm very unhappy. I am getting a decent salary and good benefits, I just can't see myself leave. But i think it's a combination of not being happy with my job and the 9-5 hours and not having friends as well.

Any advice?

what do you work as?
Im on an 8-5 jon currently and am finding it ok now.
2 months in im adapting to the lack of free time.
I make the most of my evenings and enjoy them as much as possible :smile:
Yeah im tired from it but its all good.
The job is interesting and the people are great too.
Its just adapting still, itll take a bit of time
This thread takes the piss. You got a job straight after graduation and you're complaining! All I've had since grad is 2 weeks of unpaid work which has just finished and I'm ****ing heartbroken that it was only temporary because working was amazing and I'm desperate to have a job. Working fulfilled me and now I'm back to being unemployed and having to apply again and again when all I want to do is work and start a career.

Leave your job right now and see how worthless your life becomes without that job and let someone who actually wants to work take your place.

I keep telling people to go to an agency on the high street like Reed, etc to get a job because that is what they are there for. But even if that did not work before if you already tried then you have to sign up with several differet agencis as some are useless and don't bother to try to get people jobs or they do not bother to call people for up dates so you have to keep calling them.

There is no point people getting degrees then not using them to their advantage by taking low paid, zero hour contract jobs and retail or going to **** agencies that only get you those type of jobs. You go to good agencies like Reed because they are always looking for Trainee Recruitment Consultants and they are willing to train people or online agencies like Reed, CV Library, Indeed, Monster are always advertising Trainee recruitment jobs that need no experience aswell as other jobs of course, including retail if that is what people prefer but it is best to go directly to an agency aswell as apply online because you can do both, some people just apply online but do not always succeed in getting any job but they might be more successful if they went to agencies on the high street or further afield

Reed are not perfect and i know most people do not want Recruitment jobs but graduates would prefer to stay unemployed or work for low pay than do that job which i don't get. It's not my ideal job either because i hate sales jobs but it's not the same as selling crap people don't want or can't afford, it's just trying to get employers to use your agency and getting unemployed people to join and get them a job. When i read the the benefits of working in recruitment like getting bonuses of Rolex watches, Champagne, free holidays to Ibiza, Miami, etc, etc that does really excite me rather than a job in retail that pays crap money and don't offer those benefis.

I saw this job only yesterday:
Recruitment Consultant, No experience
0203 826 6714
[email protected]

Nigel Frank International agency
0207 833 7846
Ref 9669 14775 58691.
Chloe Gordon
When you call mention Dice which is the website it was advertised on
Or if it's not in your area maybe then type the name of that agency in the area you do live as i sometimes forget that some people live outside of London
I wish i had known about recruitment years ago instead of wasting my life on all the **** jobs i did before which is why i try to tell other's about it.

If you or no one else wants the job it's fine but i am just letting everyone know about it. I recently went back to college and i do not want to give it up so i would be really grateful if i could get a part time job in recruitment but they always want people full time but there is no harm in me asking
I hated retail and all the other jobs i have done and i could never afford to save or go on holiday in those jobs
I'm not sure if i want the ordinary admin type jobs ether as i have done that before too and i hate reception jobs but i think everyone hates their jobs, maybe i will like recruitment but i don',t know that either until i try it but it amazes me how many people i have met with degrees will constantly complain they can't get jobs but happy to not try Recruitment but will go for retail, cleaning instead and they can't even get those sometimes but would have more chance of getting Recruitment jobs because they have a degree or refuse to keep trying different agencies on the high street just because 1 or 2 did not get them a job in the past so they give up trying other agencies there fore staying unemployed even longer

If you don't like the idea of working in Recruitment then just type employment agencies on google and ring a few for an appointment to get different jobs
I do sympathise OP, am lucky to have a job I enjoy but it is taking some getting used to having a lot less free time and not enough sleep.
Reply 30
Original post by MatOnMotors
People work to buy a house or a car or assets that they don't really need. Escape the 'rat race'. Don't do something for someone else or because you have to - do it for you. Go set up your own buisness and your own life and don't conform to the crap life that society wants you to live.

Don't spend on a fancy house or car as in the end, these things won't get you anywhere. Live by the basic necessities for your life and spend the rest on goals that matter. Whether it be fitness challenges, business or travelling the world, invest in the things that will excite and scare the **** out of you enough to get you out of bed in the morning.

In the end, no one will ever remember 'Dave the 55 year old accountant'. You can build your own legacy and live your own life where people aspire to be just like you. You only have one shot at life and this cannot go to waste. You can live with no regrets about what might have been... even if you fail.

Pursue adventures over assets.

YESSSSS!! Exactly my thoughts. I'm a 14-year-old Blogger and Entrepreneur and it makes me so sad to see posts like this, because they've been told that they will be happy when they accomplish "X." Proves that even if you go to university, pay thousands and then have a decent job you'll never be fulfilled unless it's your passion. Your passion has to wake you up in the morning without an Alarm clock.

What REALLY annoys me is all the people on here saying "I don't like my job blah blah blah, welcome to the adult life" BROOO, No!! Just because you didn't fully understand this opportunity called life, and just because you stuck to the system and stayed average doesn't mean you should be telling everyone else to accept it too.

Your comment made my day! We sound very like-minded, hopefully, we can connect :smile:
You're just working for the rat race man

Any advice?

This thread is old but still I like people resurrecting the dead, it's a good laugh
Anyway what has happened since then have you found a job yet ?
I was introduced by a friend to 2 live streaming apps 5 months ago so it's good if you don't have any friends or Want to make new ones or meet a partner because a lot of people hook up on it.
The first one is Bigo Live which is good for making friends or enemies or meeting people in your own area and making extra money at the same time by people sending you virtual gifts which you convert into money
Live.Me is another similar app so you can join both. It can be a good way to meet new friends
Original post by Laomedeia
Know the feelin, I cant stand this "work for a living" crap either. And if you're on min wage, you still work, but you dont get a living. You work every day and, as you say, get tired and have limited hours. But yet you still dont get to own your own Lamborghini or become exempt from arrest.

If I was king of the world:

Nobody would work full time hours
Everybody would be employed (1 full time job becomes 2 part time ones)
Everybody would be paid well enough to enjoy life
Recessions would be banned

horrid henry.jpg

omggggggg why did I imagine Horrid Henry write this "when i'm king"
Original post by Afrina
YESSSSS!! Exactly my thoughts. I'm a 14-year-old Blogger and Entrepreneur and it makes me so sad to see posts like this, because they've been told that they will be happy when they accomplish "X." Proves that even if you go to university, pay thousands and then have a decent job you'll never be fulfilled unless it's your passion. Your passion has to wake you up in the morning without an Alarm clock.

What REALLY annoys me is all the people on here saying "I don't like my job blah blah blah, welcome to the adult life" BROOO, No!! Just because you didn't fully understand this opportunity called life, and just because you stuck to the system and stayed average doesn't mean you should be telling everyone else to accept it too.

Your comment made my day! We sound very like-minded, hopefully, we can connect :smile:

Real ****^^^ I look upto you man, maybe the older generation can accept that this is what adult life, but no way in hell am I accepting this. Much rather go into business or stray away from what my family want me to become (dentist) and do my own thing. Also, this entire thread just screams money isn't happiness, and that you should pursue your goals

Why should I slave away years of my life and not have to time to enjoy life with my kids only for half of my salary to be taken as tax? Much rather pursue my passion or find other ways, instead of accepting that this is reality.
Some of the answers on here are so depressing! “That’s life” “That’s how it is”. That’s total nonsense!!!! Yes it’s true we all need to earn money to survive and for many that means long hours and sometimes sacrifices. The difference is- when you are doing work that means something to you it doesn’t feel like work. I’ve done soul destroying work and hated it. I now earn a lot lesss but at least I don’t hate my life. One day we’lll all be dead and who will really thank us? Do you want to spend 40-50 every week doing something you don’t even care about? Yikes, that would be a real waste. So forget money and what other people think is good for you for a moment and ask yourself, “if I could do anything what would it be?” What are my skills and what problems could those skills solve? Then make a plan to make it happen - such as finding a way to cover your bills/reduce your costs while you establish your new career. Good luck.
Original post by mc_miah
horrid henry.jpg

omggggggg why did I imagine Horrid Henry write this "when i'm king"

God knows. Most people don't use the word "king" when imagining me. They use a word that begins with a similarly pronounced letter that is similar in length. Saying it on this forum gets you moderated, i tried it many times. Mods on here are a bunch of kings!

Any advice?

I can really relate to this. I don't think the 'suck it up' comments are that helpful really! There's a couple of quick solutions. firstly focus on things you're grateful for. You can make a situation worse by dwelling on it too much. Find things to compliment your work like a social life which makes it bearable. Do nice things for yourself too.

Sometimes it helps to plan an escape from your job. Even if you feel trapped by it, look for other positions you can do. Just looking can open you up to alternatives you haven't thought about and ease the burden of feeling trapped by a job.

Work on something you love outside your job too. Whether this be another income source, a hobby or a relationship. It always helps if you can have some 'background happiness' to think of when you're at work. If work feels like drudgery, find something else. Life is too short!

Latest

Trending

Trending