DianaJones
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hello,

I would like to know whether I am on the right lines when it comes to comprehending what the essay question is asking me to do. I've written the outline for it, which you can see below.

Any guidance would be much appreciated, in terms of structure, content etc. Also, I am not sure how to find/search for research evidence (e.g. journal articles) to support the points made. I can't seem to find studies discussing those advantages and disadvantages or how to mention/incorporate certain studies, e.g. there was one study that investigated people's levels of stigma based on their personality traits. I'm not sure where I would discuss those implications, and in what manner.

Q1: How useful is a labelling system in the classification of mental health disorders. Critically discuss the advantages in terms of treatment and research, and disadvantages in terms of stigma and misunderstanding from the general public.

Introduction – Define what a labelling system is (e.g. DSM), what it entails, and how it is used by clinicians. End with a content statement.

Main Body:-

Paragraph 1 – Advantages of labelling/classification & treatment of mental health disorders for the client

Paragraph 2 – General advantages of labelling/classification of mental health disorders for research & treatment

Paragraph 3 – Disadvantages of labelling/classification of mental health disorders in terms of stigma and misunderstanding from the general public for the client

Paragraph 4 – General disadvantages of stigma and misunderstanding from the general public

Paragraph 5 - Alternatives to the current diagnostic system

Conclusion – State to what degree the labelling system is useful in classifying mental health disorders based on the aforementioned points and arguments presented.
Noodlzzz
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Seems good content for paragraphs. Maybe use some examples of mental health problems to demonstrate your point.

And I take your at uni? Socpus is good for finding journal articles. You're not going to find articles that cover all/ most of the content of your essay, it take skill to take what's needed from an article to incorporate it into your essay! So don't just ignore an article because only parts seem relevent.
DianaJones
Rep:
?
(Original post by Noodlzzz)
Seems good content for paragraphs. Maybe use some examples of mental health problems to demonstrate your point.

And I take your at uni? Socpus is good for finding journal articles. You're not going to find articles that cover all/ most of the content of your essay, it take skill to take what's needed from an article to incorporate it into your essay! So don't just ignore an article because only parts seem relevent.
Thank you! I will use specific mental health issues when relevant, as examples, to demonstrate my points.

Yes, I am at uni. What about you? I'm in my third year, so I want to make sure that I complete all assignments to the best of my ability by giving myself enough time. You are right about that, I will probably have to conduct separate searches to find the relevant information for each component. That's true, you have to be selective in the information you include in order to avoid waffle and construct a concise answer. That makes sense, even a tiny bit of information from an article could come in handy.

Thanks for suggesting Socpus, but unfortunately I cannot gain access to it as my uni is not included in the list. I guess that's why I've never heard of it before. LOL.
Noodlzzz
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by DianaJones)
Thank you! I will use specific mental health issues when relevant, as examples, to demonstrate my points.

Yes, I am at uni. What about you? I'm in my third year, so I want to make sure that I complete all assignments to the best of my ability by giving myself enough time. You are right about that, I will probably have to conduct separate searches to find the relevant information for each component. That's true, you have to be selective in the information you include in order to avoid waffle and construct a concise answer. That makes sense, even a tiny bit of information from an article could come in handy.

Thanks for suggesting Socpus, but unfortunately I cannot gain access to it as my uni is not included in the list. I guess that's why I've never heard of it before. LOL.
I'm a MSc Clinical psychology student.

Shame about scopous, try PsycINFO.
DianaJones
Rep:
?
I'm a MSc Clinical psychology student.

Shame about scopous, try PsycINFO.
That's great. How are you finding it?

Will do, thanks.
Noodlzzz
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
That's great. How are you finding it?

Will do, thanks.
Yes love it thank you!

Good luck with your essay.
DianaJones
Rep:
?
Yes love it thank you!

Good luck with your essay.
I'm glad you do. Are you planning to become a Clinical Psychologist or something else similar within the field?

Thank you!
Noodlzzz
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm glad you do. Are you planning to become a Clinical Psychologist or something else similar within the field?

Thank you!
I was going to apply for the clinical psychology doctorate, but the course made me realise I far more enjoy the research side and essays as opposed to therapy skills and interventions etc. so am applying for research PhDs in clinical psychology areas.

What are you doing after graduation?
DianaJones
Rep:
?
I was going to apply for the clinical psychology doctorate, but the course made me realise I far more enjoy the research side and essays as opposed to therapy skills and interventions etc. so am applying for research PhDs in clinical psychology areas.

What are you doing after graduation?
That's sounds really good. I hope you manage to achieve everything you want, I'm sure you will.

I really like enjoy the research aspect of the course and writing up research reports. I think I would like to take an MSc in Research Methods after graduating. I'm still not completely sure what area of Psychology I'd like to work in though, perhaps Counselling.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (7)
17.07%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (11)
26.83%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (2)
4.88%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (5)
12.2%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (1)
2.44%
I think it's an unfair expectation (14)
34.15%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (1)
2.44%

Watched Threads