Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys I don't really tend to post much anymore because Year 13 is getting crazy busy (I'm not complaining! I love it ) but I just need some help and guidance.

I'm not the best in exams. I tend to get myself worked up for no reason at all. I think it's because I'm putting pressure on myself. My parents care about the grades I get, but they have taught me that it isn't the end of the world if I don't get that grade I was aiming for. My teachers are amazing - they work with us to make sure we get the best grades we can and I'm so grateful for them! During GCSEs in 2015 I was at a different school (I moved schools for sixth form) and the amount of pressure they put on the whole year was ridiculous. We took responsibility for our learning and revised so much our hands and heads almost dropped off. I went to as many after school and Easter holiday sessions as humanly possible, so I did think I'd get the grades. I've always been a positive person; I like to tell myself that I will pass that exam, that I will get an A in that piece of coursework. I always put the work in, asking for help from fellow classmates and teachers if I needed it. I was so disappointed when it came to results day - I thought I'd passed every single subject. I got a D in maths (more on this later. I spent ages on MyMaths and practising past papers, being a few marks off a C each time, so I was devastated) a D in history, a D in geography and two Es in science (I spent ages revising for this, doing as many past papers as possible and making notes). Fortunately I got a C in English language (which I got in Year 10) a B in literature and a C in Product Design (don't even ask me how I got this grade. It was the hardest one of them all). I also passed Music, so in total I have 4 GCSEs right now.

I've sat maths again twice, unfortunately getting Ds both times. Where the hell do I keep going wrong?! I'm glad I haven't gone down though, I'd be more upset about that however both times I was anxious on the day of the exam. I just wanted to get it right, so I didn't have to worry about it anymore. I think that definitely played a part in why I didn't pass! I'm resitting the exam after half term and I've literally just had a mini breakdown before writing this. Could you please give me some tips on how to stay calm days before to the day of the exam?? I'm at my wits end here I know it's not worth getting upset about though....

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Did you sit higher in maths?
    IMO I believe sitting higher is better as you need 30-35% of the papers right to pass as oppose to foundation needing 75% . I sat higher and it worked well for me . Also before each exam make sure you have had something to eat and drink( not too much) as this will give you energy. Also make sure you take an early night . Read each question 3 times and if you don't know the answer move on so you can come back to it at the end if you have enough time . Also use the formulae at the front of the paper as it is useful and does help work out certain questions. Even if you don't know how to get the answer make sure you write anything down to do with the topic as this will help you get extra marks which you need to make sure you definitely get a C.
    I did all this and I managed to scrape a B

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.