Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently thinking about doing a BSc in Mathematics and Physics with the Open University and all but one of my ten modules requires an exam to be sat. I live in Birmingham and there are 'active examination centres' near me- Bourneville College and Second City Suites. Would I sit my exams in the nearest exam centre? (Seems a bit bizarre if I had to travel for hours to get to an exam centre if there's two near me).
    How do they choose where you sit your exam? Is it the closest place to you or is it dependent on your course?

Sorry for the long and continuous questions but would appreciate some help if possible. Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Yea... its the closest.

Also (incase you didn't know) - That degree pathway is not accredited by Institute of Physics and MAY not cover enough physics to get a 'physics' job or potentially a MSc/PhD
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by zebby1999)
    I'm currently thinking about doing a BSc in Mathematics and Physics with the Open University and all but one of my ten modules requires an exam to be sat. I live in Birmingham and there are 'active examination centres' near me- Bourneville College and Second City Suites. Would I sit my exams in the nearest exam centre? (Seems a bit bizarre if I had to travel for hours to get to an exam centre if there's two near me).
    How do they choose where you sit your exam? Is it the closest place to you or is it dependent on your course?

Sorry for the long and continuous questions but would appreciate some help if possible. Thanks.
    You won't necessarily get the very closest, because other students could live even closer than you. But you will get one of the exam centres near you, and won't have to travel "for hours". You'll be notified in advance which venue you have. Venues used can change, so it is possible you won't get the same venue for all of the exams during your degree.

If you have any big problems with the venue you're allocated then you can ask to change. But if it's something like "there's no parking" that won't be accepted as a reason - the OU does try to pick venues that are accessible by public transport so you would be expected to make alternative arrangements.

The OU holds all exams in a 2 week period. This means that there are 10 possible exam sessions for all modules. So when you go to your exam, you'll see people taking exams from other modules. So if you see that someone across the room has a picture on their question paper that you don't have, don't worry. You might also find that people you know from your module are sent to the other exam centre. This is perfectly normal.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    R
    (Original post by Juno)
    So when you go to your exam, you'll see people taking exams from other modules. So if you see that someone across the room has a picture on their question paper that you don't have, don't worry.
    My one and only OU exam was in Design and Innovation, and we had to do a set of orthographic drawings, and design a sellotape dispenser. There were three or four of us, drawing away, and I'm sure everyone else wondered what on earth we were up to!

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.