Turn on thread page Beta

Buying clothing from childrens ranges... watch

ReputationRep:
    hey all

i am a pretty small 20 year old who looks about 16- eek, got a bit of a wierd shaped body as well (short top half with a big bust and quite long legs) i find it so so hard to get clothes to fit me, tops that suit my proportions and especially jeans

As much as i love the clothes in store such as warehouse, Oasis, River Island, sometimes topshop- they are just too pricey for my student budget right now as well as that the clothes in these stores just never fit me- i have just given up and i feel really upset because moving towards 21 and a business student i want my image to be trendy but also sophisticated

i always resort to buying jeans from kids ranges such as 915, tammy and even just admitting it makes me feel really childish and lame- its like wearing them makes me feel younger too- but its all i cant get to fit me and can realistically afford (jeans are around £12)

ok sorry about this rant, i just want to see if anyone else has the same problem or has any advice

xx

ReputationRep:
    My Mum's short and also buys teenage ranges. She's 38. It's getting embarrassing now, but only because she's getting 'older', at 20, the styles are basically the same, so there's no reason to feel childish.

ReputationRep:
    my mum just tells me that no one can see the label, so they are non the wiser

maybe its just me being paranoid lol

ReputationRep:
    shop at H&M kids! I love their stuff (a lot of it is the same as the main shop anyway) and the prices are great. Zara kids is ok too but more of it is for younger kids so there isn't such a great range. I find that places like 915 look more 'childish' if that makes sense...if you can find a shop where the clothes are basically the same but smaller no-one will ever know

ReputationRep:
    Exactly.
    To be fair, the things younger teens wear nowadays (Gawd I feel old!) are just the same as younger adults' clothes anyway, it's just a case of getting over the idea I suppose.

ReputationRep:
    its all very well saying the stuff is more-or-less the same as adult stuff but its different when you wear it - my confidence always gets battered when i wear kids stuff even when i like it n it fits...

i guess its just going with h&m kids!

ReputationRep:
    ^^ half my wardrobe is from H&M kids, I just don't care:p: . you could always cut the labels out though?

Aren't kids clothes cheaper?

ReputationRep:
    yeah much cheaper.... i will just have to get over it i guess, its good to hear im not the only one who does this as well though

Awww I'd love to fit into kids clothes! if it really does bother you, stick to more basic pieces

ReputationRep:
    i thought i was the only one yeah i always pick my stuff from the kids range as most 'grownup' ones don't fit me :p: and of course it's cheaper, i bought this decent dress for a tenner, le wow! also i don't like the current trends, meh, wassup with the abstract shapes and colours?

ReputationRep:
    My Mum did it for years, and I've bought a couple of basic things on the rare occasion.

The only problem I find is that the shape and measurements are different to most adult clothes. For example, most kids clothes seem to have very little room for hips and such - possibly because kids are "supposed" to be straight up-and-down, if you know what I mean.

ReputationRep:
    Weird that, I tried on a Superman t-shirt in the Zara kids range just the other day. I'm a 7-8 years in the boys department, apparently.

But seriously, perhaps it'd be a good idea to go to a few vintage shops. Clothes were often much smaller than they are today and invariably seem to be made for short ar- sorry, petite people, like yourself. Great if you're small and perfectly formed, bad if you're a lanky girl like myself. You could get some lovely 40s/50s teadresses or a smart mod 60s skirt and jacket set that would be perfect for work. Plus, no one else would have them!

ReputationRep:
    For example, most kids clothes seem to have very little room for hips and such - possibly because kids are "supposed" to be straight up-and-down, if you know what I mean.
    ditto but i don't like the 'body-shaped' type of stuff (leik when one part curves where your bum is supposed to be) anyway. one day i'm going to be a fashion designer and beat dior prada whatever to grade B clothes :cool:

ReputationRep:
    I always look across to the children's section and wonder just how thin I could get...

ReputationRep:
    i buy shorts from the new look kids range...u wud never be able to tell they were from the kids section n they cost around £12 compared to a similar pair in topshop for £25...bargain i say lol

ReputationRep:
    i was realy upset when i grew out of childrens clothes and had to buy adult clothes.
    i used to wear shirts from the asda boys range age about 11 i think in year 11 and 12. im not sure why they were boys shirts and not girls.i think my mam got them by mistake and i needed them so didnt have time to swap them. i greatly enjoyed wearing them.

i wouldnt worry about people being able to tell. the cut might be different but if they fit u i doubt people would even give it a thought that they were from the kids section.the only thing people will be thinking is bloomin hell how many clothes does she have when u can buy 3 times as many as everyone else.
    wearing kids clothes made me proud cos i felt skinny. i wish my days of fitting in them cound return

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.