Turn on thread page Beta

My BF's family are weird with me? Don't they like me? watch

ReputationRep:
    Okay so i'm 20 years old and he is 21. A few months ago I ended up moving in to his family house, though his mum and sister did tell me it was fine and i was having a few issues with my dad so they said why not just move out and be with him (BF) more. It took a while to build to strength to leave but I did. At first it was fine a little awkward because he has 5 older sisters four of which still live in the family home. So i've been here a few months now and he has a job so sometimes i'm alone with just his family. Whenever this happens its so awkward. They all talk AROUND me and OVER me but not too me. But then sometimes there cool and we speak a little but hardly ever. so most of the time I sit in the bedroom and just wait for him to come home. He's told me to go out and speak to everyone but I don't really see the point because they all have there own conversations for like HOURS and wont include me and it just makes me feel stupid because when i do try to talk its just kind of shut down like a one word answer kinda thing. His mom is so confusing because she does care like call me for dinner and ask my bf if i need anything but whenever i ask about her day or try and speak to her to get to know her she's so cold. The same with his sisters. there so sometimeish its very frustrating and I don't want to come off as rude or anything but I feel like its better to just stay out there way? His mum has mentioned a few times that i need to interact with everyone more but they don't make it easy for me. What do I do?
    Also- I have anxiety which has gotten so much worse since i moved in. Sometimes I find it difficult just to do simple things like go to the bathroom in case I see someone ( I hate those awkward moments) Getting summoned to living for dinner its such a challenge cause i know i'll just be sitting there in silence smiling and laughing here when they joke and speak to each other as not seem rude but ultimately in silence just thinking when can I leave. What do I do next?

ReputationRep:
    Have you spoken to your boyfriend about it

(Original post by karl pilkington)
    Have you spoken to your boyfriend about it
    A little but he doesn't see what I see, also I think he doesn't really get how my anxiety feels. He want's to talk to them about but I don't want the repercussions of it on me. I don't want them to think that I ***** about them.

To me it sounds like you're intruding. Whatever problems you had with your dad can't be SO bad that you had to move out and live in your boyfriend's bedroom and expect his mum to cook and clean for you as if you were her own child. I think they expected it to be a short term thing, but you've overstayed your welcome, and with 5 sisters in the house it is definitely going to be crowded already and you're not making it better. Unless you're contributing something like working and paying rent or helping with cooking and cleaning etc then you shouldn't be there. You need to move back in with your dad and get over whatever problems you're having because at age 20 you can't be living with someone else's parents.

(Original post by Anonymous)
    To me it sounds like you're intruding. Whatever problems you had with your dad can't be SO bad that you had to move out and live in your boyfriend's bedroom and expect his mum to cook and clean for you as if you were her own child. I think they expected it to be a short term thing, but you've overstayed your welcome, and with 5 sisters in the house it is definitely going to be crowded already and you're not making it better. Unless you're contributing something like working and paying rent or helping with cooking and cleaning etc then you shouldn't be there. You need to move back in with your dad and get over whatever problems you're having because at age 20 you can't be living with someone else's parents.
    I didn't particularly want to at first. She was very very on board with me moving. it was her idea. I spoke to her in depth about it. I've literally just got a job and she's made it clear that she will support me and help me out until i'm on my feet and go to uni (next year) Whenever i've tried to contribute she's uncomfortable with it. And I don't expect her to do anything. I never ask her for a thing. I don't like feeling like a problem or a burden so I try to clean and cook etc but she always says no. They all knew i was staying until next year. But I dunno I don't want to announce i'm moving back and then there thinking i'm ungrateful for everything.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 29, 2016
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.