Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Llamas)
    Libertarianism is a dangerous and selfish ideology, but that subject is enough to fill thread after thread
    Well, why not discuss it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by carldaman)
    Well, why not discuss it?
    Ask away, if that's what you want.

ReputationRep:
    Ask away, if that's what you want.
    New thread posted!

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=BazTheMoney]It's just a matter of time before the UK enter the Euro and embraces the EU, the potential gains are too great to ignore and globalisation will takes it toll eventually. When Eurosceptics start to complain about the bend in a banana you know they're running out of ideas.

QUOTE]

How is it a matter of time? There's nothing inevitable about the euro, as long as the UK is doing far better outside (which is clearly the case right now and ever since the euro was launched) we won't join, moreover, a momentary rumour that we might be better off in would not cause the people of the UK to abandon control of their economic destiny forever. I notice you fail to actually list any of these "potential gains" you claim exist. The reason we complain about the EU ruling on the bend of bananas is that it illustrates what a sheer waste of money EU membership is, and their mego-lo-manic mindset in wanting to rule on every miniscule area they can get their grubby little hands on

ReputationRep:
    Note quite, otherwise it wouldn't have specified 'with hot water' but would have just said degreasing.
    degreasing is a process that can take place with application of hot water, yes or no?

That's because the law wasn't aimed at butchers giving bones away, but was trying to regulate the disposal of animal waste to protect the populace from disease.
    but is so ham-fisted, butchery is covered by the blanket legislation. and then multiple this all over the continent.

Libertarianism is a dangerous and selfish ideology, but that subject is enough to fill thread after thread. The reason the state needs to protect is because certain people, left to their own devices will not consider anyone but themselves.
    In the case of drink driving, this leads to people being killed.

Because that way people are less likely to drink and drive, to drink and kill. Because you can sometimes catch drunk drivers even if they don't appear to be driving carelessly at that given time.

The (far too loud) right wing minority of Britain is diminishing every year. About damn time.
    this is a statement of your opinion, which I respect but respectfully disagree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BazTheMoney)
    So how does that differ from the British government, or the US administration? The vast majority of representative democracies are top-down, we elect them, they tell us what to do for 5 years, when we get the chance to kick them out. I fail to see how the EU is any worse.

And for the butchers thing, I'm sure you could find something similar in UK Health and Safety laws too.
    Britain has always been governed with the notion that the state plays servant to the populace. Governance is on a people level, community level with local issues dealt in a local manner. We elect our governments to serve us, to provide us with enough to go about our lives in a nation where the policeman is a community figure first and a sign of authority second. That the family provides to the community and the community to the nation. The US works on the simple premise that each American has equal rights,but is free to dictate his life as he sees fit, state interference is abhorred, and only to provide him with the necessary security as to protect his rights as a citizen. The EU and much of mainland Europe works the other way around, where the state dictates to the people, where there are clear and requested signs of authority. The French just dont understand the concept of unarmed or sociable authority, the more tooled up and aggressive the better they feel. The more legislation, tax and social welfare and statist industy the better. Their laws reflect the ideology that citizens must justify themselves to the law and state, rather than the state justify its infringement on the rights of the individual. Its a belief in the state knows best, when, I believe, in the UK and certainly in the US, the individual knows best.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vienna95)
    degreasing is a process that can take place with application of hot water, yes or no?

but is so ham-fisted, butchery is covered by the blanket legislation. and then multiple this all over the continent.
    Absolutely, but this legislation doesn't cover 'greased bones' and so butchers are free to give them away. I was merely pointing out that the wording implied that rinsing with hot water was not what degreasing always implied.

Legislation can always be amended. If you don't legislate with generalisations then some people will exploit the system to a far greater extent than silly legislation will effect people.

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely, but this legislation doesn't cover 'greased bones' and so butchers are free to give them away. I was merely pointing out that the wording implied that rinsing with hot water was not what degreasing always implied.
    and as i said, that makes no logical sense, that you can give them away, happy as larry straight from the carcass it appears, but as soon as you rinse them under hot water, youve got Brussels on your back. how does that make sense and whatsmore, how does that effectively protect anyone?

Legislation can always be amended. If you don't legislate with generalisations then some people will exploit the system to a far greater extent than silly legislation will effect people.
    legislation can always be amended. but i) this legislation covers everything from bananas, to bones, to pens, carpet, language, cars, radio, pets, media, architecture, and anything else the EU wants to dictate to the European continent. its massive! your talking amending all that and then amending it individually for 25 countries. plainly ridiculous. plainly what Brussels has no intention of doing.

ReputationRep:
    and as i said, that makes no logical sense, that you can give them away, happy as larry straight from the carcass it appears, but as soon as you rinse them under hot water, youve got Brussels on your back. how does that make sense and whatsmore, how does that effectively protect anyone?

legislation can always be amended. but i) this legislation covers everything from bananas, to bones, to pens, carpet, language, cars, radio, pets, media, architecture, and anything else the EU wants to dictate to the European continent. its massive! your talking amending all that and then amending it individually for 25 countries. plainly ridiculous. plainly what Brussels has no intention of doing.
    You're right, it's stupid. But it's hardly a massive problem either. You don't get Brussels on your back either, our own law enforcement agencies are hardly going to start a crackdown on butchers rinsing their meat now are they?

You don't need to amend it individually for 25 countries, why on earth would you?

ReputationRep:
    You don't need to amend it individually for 25 countries, why on earth would you?
    because otherwise it remains that great big generalisation that you mention.

ReputationRep:
    because otherwise it remains that great big generalisation that you mention.
    But what's wrong with amending the law for all 25 countries at the same time?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PhilipsCDRW)
    I think our law enforcement agencies are very scrupulous (sp?) in following EU legislation to the letter, and occasionally making it even more restrictive.

Anyway, leaving the bone-degreasing argument, I don't see much advantage to Britain in ceding control of the country to a foreign power, or ceding control of the economy to a foreign power, or ceding control of our armies to a foreign power...

What is the advantage of the EU again?
    Well the EU does none of those three things. The EU gives us free trade, labour market flexibility through immigration, laws ensuring quality and safety, and it also protects workers rights.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PhilipsCDRW)
    I don't see much advantage to Britain in ceding control of the country to a foreign power, or ceding control of the economy to a foreign power, or ceding control of our armies to a foreign power.
    Surely you mean a different foreign power?

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 8, 2004
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.