Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Forgive me if this is posted in the wrong section, but I had no idea where to put this forum simply because it's based on Modern Studies and it's a subject only taught in Scotland that I don't feel really fits exactly under any of the forum categories.

I'm just here to ask for help with a homework question. The answer must be in P.E.E. paragraph form (Point, Explain, Example for those who are not familiar with the layout). I'm stuck on what to write. The question is:

Explain, in detail, the advantages and disadvantages to the different sentences available to judges in Scotland.

It's an 8 mark question, which means I need to write at least 3 paragraphs. I planned to write the first two paragraphs on custodial and non-custodial sentences, but I've absolutely no idea what to do for the third.

I don't want fully-written answers, just ideas on what to write about. I'm also beginning to think that custodial and non-custodial sentences aren't answers that could earn me marks either, so validation on that would be helpful too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xDarcey)
    Forgive me if this is posted in the wrong section, but I had no idea where to put this forum simply because it's based on Modern Studies and it's a subject only taught in Scotland that I don't feel really fits exactly under any of the forum categories.

I'm just here to ask for help with a homework question. The answer must be in P.E.E. paragraph form (Point, Explain, Example for those who are not familiar with the layout). I'm stuck on what to write. The question is:

Explain, in detail, the advantages and disadvantages to the different sentences available to judges in Scotland.

It's an 8 mark question, which means I need to write at least 3 paragraphs. I planned to write the first two paragraphs on custodial and non-custodial sentences, but I've absolutely no idea what to do for the third.

I don't want fully-written answers, just ideas on what to write about. I'm also beginning to think that custodial and non-custodial sentences aren't answers that could earn me marks either, so validation on that would be helpful too.
    Hi,

I think you are definitely thinking along the right lines by writing about custodial and non-custodial sentences. However, in order to write more than 2 paragraphs you could perhaps do a paragraph on the advantages and then a paragraph on the disadvantages of custodial sentences and then do the same for non-custodial sentences.

For advantages of custodial sentences you could write about how prison can be a good place for offenders to rehabilitate (with further details and then examples). For disadvantages, you could write about how expensive prison is (I believe it costs around £30,000 a year to keep someone in prison) and also about how prison can create better criminals as prisoners learn from each other.

Then for advantages of alternatives to prison you could write about how electronic tagging and community service are both cheaper than prison. For disadvantages, you could write about how people could be likely to reoffend therefore it is better to keep them in prison.

Hope this is helpful for you.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  2. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. Bishop Grosseteste University
    All Courses Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?
Applying to university
Uni match

Find your perfect match

Our tool will help you find the perfect uni course for you

Make your revision easier

Study Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.