Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I dont understand how to do this question/solution:

QP
    https://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/w...3f43f7a3_1.pdf

Ans:
    https://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/w...dc24cd54_1.pdf

- How did they know that the middle sector of A was at a degree of 90 even though it can be seen from the diagram that isnt always correct..
    - I dont understand how they've worked out the area of the triangle and the placement of theta also confuses me

If anyone wants to help me by solving it you're most welcome
    • Study Helper

Study Helper
    (Original post by Carman3)
    - How did they know that the middle sector of A was at a degree of 90 even though it can be seen from the diagram that isnt always correct..
    - I dont understand how they've worked out the area of the triangle and the placement of theta also confuses me

If anyone wants to help me by solving it you're most welcome
    Question 4 part (ii) in case anyone else want to look.

Angle subtended by middle sector is 90 because, angle to the left is theta, and angle to the right is 90 - theta, and since the total is 180, the remainder - the sector's angle - is 90.

Since the radius of the circle is "1", then the x co-ordinates of -cos theta and sin theta, imples the angles marked are theta.
    Triangles are congruent, having two sides next to the right angle of cos theta and sin theta, hence the area formula used. (1/2) base times height, and times 2 as there are two identical triangles.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ghostwalker)
    Question 4 part (ii) in case anyone else want to look.

Angle subtended by middle sector is 90 because, angle to the left is theta, and angle to the right is 90 - theta, and since the total is 180, the remainder - the sector's angle - is 90.

Since the radius of the circle is "1", then the x co-ordinates of -cos theta and sin theta, imples the angles marked are theta.
    Triangles are congruent, having two sides next to the right angle of cos theta and sin theta, hence the area formula used. (1/2) base times height, and times 2 as there are two identical triangles.
    How is angle to the left theta and angle to the right 90-theta. I also dont get the co-ordinates bit like how can you put -cos and sin on the same x axis
    • Study Helper

Study Helper
    (Original post by Carman3)
    How is angle to the left theta and angle to the right 90-theta.
    For the left.
    Since the x-coordinate is -cos theta, and the semicicle has radius 1, then that's the value you'd get if the angle to the left was theta. Hence the angle is theta. No other value in the range 0 to 90 will do.

For the right.
    Similar argument for the angle theta, and hence the angle at the origin is 90-theta.

I also dont get the co-ordinates bit like how can you put -cos and sin on the same x axis
    I don't see your problem really. You're given the two coordinates, and they happen to be function of theta. Their actual position is going to depend on what theta is. We can't say, for example, that one is between 0.4 and 0.5, only that it is somewhere between 0 and 1.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ghostwalker)
    For the left.
    Since the x-coordinate is -cos theta, and the semicicle has radius 1, then that's the value you'd get if the angle to the left was theta. Hence the angle is theta. No other value in the range 0 to 90 will do.

For the right.
    Similar argument for the angle theta, and hence the angle at the origin is 90-theta.

I don't see your problem really. You're given the two coordinates, and they happen to be function of theta. Their actual position is going to depend on what theta is. We can't say, for example, that one is between 0.4 and 0.5, only that it is somewhere between 0 and 1.
    oh right
    I was trying to look at the question in terms of sine curve and cos curve

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 30, 2016
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
  3. University of Glasgow
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.