The Student Room Group

pre employment screening

I've been offered a job that I want to accept, and they've just told me that everyone is subject to a following background check by Security Watch Dog (owned by capita) .

--------------------------------------------------------------------
- Media Search

- Sanction List

- Financial Probity: (last 5 years)

- Address Check: Checks your 5 year proof of address against the electoral rollor address databases.

- Basic Criminality

- Eligibility to Work in the UK

- Employment/Education History: A 5 year check of your career history includingperiods of unemployment, self-employment or gaps in career history.

- ID Check

- Professional Qualifications/Memberships

- International criminal background check via jurisdictional court data

- Academic Qualifications: A direct approach to the awarding
educationalinstitution to verify your qualifications
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Does anyone know how old do they take to complete the check and would they check current or past salaries?

Thanks
Reply 1
Do you mean how long it takes? It depends on how quickly you do it, it took me about 2 weeks to get it approved but I did it quite late so it would be quicker if you submitted it early.
Reply 2
Original post by UWS
Do you mean how long it takes? It depends on how quickly you do it, it took me about 2 weeks to get it approved but I did it quite late so it would be quicker if you submitted it early.

Do they ask for current or past salary details?
Reply 3
Original post by sdyson31
Do they ask for current or past salary details?

I think they ask for past salary.
Well given you've put that they'll be checking your employment history, It's pretty likely that they'll check that the salary you quoted as having received is the one actually paid by the company in question.

I'm guessing that you've inflated the salary of a past job during the application for this position you've been offered and are now worried that they're going to find this out. They probably will. So, if that is the case, you'd be advised to be on the front foot and come clean with them.
Reply 5
Original post by Reality Check
Well given you've put that they'll be checking your employment history, It's pretty likely that they'll check that the salary you quoted as having received is the one actually paid by the company in question.

I'm guessing that you've inflated the salary of a past job during the application for this position you've been offered and are now worried that they're going to find this out. They probably will. So, if that is the case, you'd be advised to be on the front foot and come clean with them.

I am not worried about my current salary, my only concern is that my current employer won't disclose any financial information in reference check.
Original post by sdyson31
I am not worried about my current salary, my only concern is that my current employer won't disclose any financial information in reference check.

Fair enough - you need to speak to your current employer and give them permission to disclose this information to the referencing company then.
Most places won't release your compensation, especially larger firms, they'll simply confirm you were there doing X position during Y/Z dates. Any personal reference must be factual so most now don't. Smaller companies are likely to give a personal reference but even then it's not the norm to provide compensation details.

There's also reasons why firms don't want what they were paying released, you're also not obligated to share this with your new employer, though most do with HR and regardless of what they say, is used as a basis for your offer. Your P45 you provide can be indicative and I have heard of someone being pulled up on this.

Usually these background checks regarding employment are to catch people exaggerating their position or dates to increase their experience. If for any reason they cannot confirm something, you will be contacted and if there's any disputes you're also questioned so there's little to worry about. I personally wouldn't approach any current or previous employers requesting they provide additional information, just let their HR departments respond in the usual way within their policy.
How long did this take in the end and any issues?

WRT salary, it's none of the Security Watchdog's business and it's an optional item on the form. They are pretty stringent on addressing gaps though and it can be hard to evidence these if requested.

I've been through their security check in 2014 and am now going through a second. The difference is in 2014 my company were a bit naughty and let me begin working immediately. My upcoming employer are waiting for a green light before fully boarding me.

I'll allow 4 weeks at the most - quoted 14 business days. In fact after three weeks I will continue interviewing. I've already turned down one job offer and simply will not wait around. The job market is a big place and I can't let opportunities pass by because of the competency of a third party...

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
(edited 7 years ago)
Background checks generally take 2-4 days to complete. You can read more here: https://blog.accusource-online.com/how-long-does-a-background-check-take

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending