Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone!

I want to study in the Netherlands so much and I have found two extremely interesting programmes. They are Politicial Science in the University of Amsterdam and International Relations and Organizations in Leiden University (The Hague campus). International Studies in Leiden is also an option but right now those two seem a bit more interesting.

I know that both of them are great, top 100 universities but which one has a better reputation? I have also been thinking which degree future employers value more...

And the city... Do you like Amsterdam or The Hague more? I have been in Amsterdam once and I really liked it but The Hague seems very interesting too.

I really can't decide! I would be very thankful if someone would tell their experiences or opinions! And yes, I'm trying to improve my English (I know it's not perfect since I'm Finnish). Thank you!

I think that any difference in their respective reputations is negligible. Moreover, the University of Leiden is not in the Hague; it's in the city of Leiden.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for your answer. I think some programmes are taught in the Hague because I read this on the university's website: "This international 3-year, BSc degree programme is part of Leiden University’s Political Science curriculum, and is taught in The Hague, the city in which politics and international relations converge."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NOO1234)
    Thank you for your answer. I think some programmes are taught in the Hague because I read this on the university's website: "This international 3-year, BSc degree programme is part of Leiden University’s Political Science curriculum, and is taught in The Hague, the city in which politics and international relations converge."
    Hi there, yes, you are right, both of the courses you are interested in are taught in the Hague. Both universities are highly ranked, and their international reputations are excellent. I wouldn't worry whichever one you went to!

I am a student at Leiden and I love it. I don't live in the Hague, but have been many times for events, shopping, the beach etc. There is a lot of stuff to do there. It is not as touristy as Amsterdam, which I quite like. Because there are so many international organisations there, there are also the most internationals in any Dutch city, beating Amsterdam! I think for the type of courses you are wanting to study, being in the Hague is a huge bonus because you are so close to the actual international organisations they will be dealing with. You are also very close to the city of Leiden, which is like a mini-Amsterdam without the crazy amounts of tourists, so that is a huge plus! Anyways, I am giving the biased view because I love Leiden, but I am sure people can tell you more about studying in Amsterdam too

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I am and Aussie student and I study International Studies in The Hague. Academically and professionally The Hague makes perfect sense for any politics related ambitions - it is the location of the Dutch government, foreign embassies, the ICC, the OPCW, the HCSS, Europol and way more - so there are plenty of networking opportunities, talks/debates/conferences on relevant topics given by excellent speakers... you get the idea. So for me that really makes my study feel relevant. It is also an international city with about half of The Hague being internationals, which makes me feel really at home. Other than that, it is a smallish city, close to the beach, has good night life - but is close enough to Amsterdam/Rotterdam etc. that you can head there for a night out. And one little bonus of The Hague is that it isn't as hard or expensive to find housing as Amsters! But Amsterdam is obviously a groovy city so it's tough call to make, good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tobiasxjones)
    Hi there, yes, you are right, both of the courses you are interested in are taught in the Hague. Both universities are highly ranked, and their international reputations are excellent. I wouldn't worry whichever one you went to!

I am a student at Leiden and I love it. I don't live in the Hague, but have been many times for events, shopping, the beach etc. There is a lot of stuff to do there. It is not as touristy as Amsterdam, which I quite like. Because there are so many international organisations there, there are also the most internationals in any Dutch city, beating Amsterdam! I think for the type of courses you are wanting to study, being in the Hague is a huge bonus because you are so close to the actual international organisations they will be dealing with. You are also very close to the city of Leiden, which is like a mini-Amsterdam without the crazy amounts of tourists, so that is a huge plus! Anyways, I am giving the biased view because I love Leiden, but I am sure people can tell you more about studying in Amsterdam too
    Thank you so much, your message was really helpful!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rachelinthehague)
    Hi, I am and Aussie student and I study International Studies in The Hague. Academically and professionally The Hague makes perfect sense for any politics related ambitions - it is the location of the Dutch government, foreign embassies, the ICC, the OPCW, the HCSS, Europol and way more - so there are plenty of networking opportunities, talks/debates/conferences on relevant topics given by excellent speakers... you get the idea. So for me that really makes my study feel relevant. It is also an international city with about half of The Hague being internationals, which makes me feel really at home. Other than that, it is a smallish city, close to the beach, has good night life - but is close enough to Amsterdam/Rotterdam etc. that you can head there for a night out. And one little bonus of The Hague is that it isn't as hard or expensive to find housing as Amsters! But Amsterdam is obviously a groovy city so it's tough call to make, good luck!
    Thank you so much! I really appreciate your help. I also think that it's a huge bonus to study politics in The Hague because there are so many international organizations etc. And just like you said I have also heard that it is so hard and expensive to find accommodation in Amsterdam.

You said you study International Studies in Leiden, have you liked it so far? It seems really interesting and I have read that there are a lot of international students in that programme. And btw, do you know anyone who studies international relations and organizations in Leiden University? I'm a bit worried that I would be the only non-dutch

ReputationRep:
    You said you study International Studies in Leiden, have you liked it so far? It seems really interesting and I have read that there are a lot of international students in that programme. And btw, do you know anyone who studies international relations and organizations in Leiden University? I'm a bit worried that I would be the only non-dutch [/QUOTE]

I have been really happy with my choice of International Studies - the course is relevant, interesting, challenging - both personally and academically. The choice between International Studies and International Relations depends on what you want from your course and what your personal preferences are, I like International Studies for the area/language/culture perspective that you lack in IR, but if you want that political science/IR theory/law aspects then International Relations would be a better choice.

International Studies is a big course and about half the students are international students - which makes the course really dynamic - but it also makes student life really fun!

I don't know anyone who takes the IR programme, but I assume it will be pretty international. What starting year do you want to apply for?

ReputationRep:
    You said you study International Studies in Leiden, have you liked it so far? It seems really interesting and I have read that there are a lot of international students in that programme. And btw, do you know anyone who studies international relations and organizations in Leiden University? I'm a bit worried that I would be the only non-dutch

I have been really happy with my choice of International Studies - the course is relevant, interesting, challenging - both personally and academically. The choice between International Studies and International Relations depends on what you want from your course and what your personal preferences are, I like International Studies for the area/language/culture perspective that you lack in IR, but if you want that political science/IR theory/law aspects then International Relations would be a better choice.

International Studies is a big course and about half the students are international students - which makes the course really dynamic - but it also makes student life really fun!

I don't know anyone who takes the IR programme, but I assume it will be pretty international. What starting year do you want to apply for?[/QUOTE]

Great to hear that you've been happy with your choice! Both courses sound very interesting but I think IR is the right choice for me. I'm going to apply for September 2017 intake. My application is almost ready but I just have to practice my english skills a little and and do IELTS or TOEFL.

ReputationRep:

I don't know anyone who takes the IR programme, but I assume it will be pretty international. What starting year do you want to apply for?
    Great to hear that you've been happy with your choice! Both courses sound very interesting but I think IR is the right choice for me. I'm going to apply for September 2017 intake. My application is almost ready but I just have to practice my english skills a little and and do IELTS or TOEFL. [/QUOTE]

Well the programme is new so they don't know how international it will be, but in general the English-taught programmes are 30-50% international students.. Good luck with your application!

ReputationRep:
    Quick question: Are the Dutch degrees with 'Honours' ?

Eg,

B Sc International Relations and Organisation at Leiden

ReputationRep:
    Great to hear that you've been happy with your choice! Both courses sound very interesting but I think IR is the right choice for me. I'm going to apply for September 2017 intake. My application is almost ready but I just have to practice my english skills a little and and do IELTS or TOEFL.
    Well the programme is new so they don't know how international it will be, but in general the English-taught programmes are 30-50% international students.. Good luck with your application![/QUOTE]

Hello, I'm applying for the same intake! How hard is it to get in? How does the selection process work?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Breward)
    Quick question: Are the Dutch degrees with 'Honours' ?

Eg,

B Sc International Relations and Organisation at Leiden

Hi,

Yes you can graduate with honours if you take the Honours College programme alongside your course load.

I don't know what it looks like for IRO but some friends of mine did it with International Studies within the humanities faculty and they found it super rewarding!

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much! I really appreciate your help. I also think that it's a huge bonus to study politics in The Hague because there are so many international organizations etc. And just like you said I have also heard that it is so hard and expensive to find accommodation in Amsterdam.

Hey ! I'm a German living in Paris and just got accepted at Leiden Uni for the IRO program in The Hague, you won't be the only international guy (or girl) :-)

ReputationRep:
    NOO1234 and justaprank
    Did either of you start at Leiden Uni for IRO? How are you finding it? I am hoping to apply for Sept '19 intake... Brexit allowing.

ReputationRep:
    omg i cant believe im having the same exact problem as you, i would really like some advice like what did you decided to do? in which university are you right now? it would be awesome if you answer!

ReputationRep:
    I have litterally the same problem, I have been accepted (conditionnaly) to both programs and I can't make up my mind !!! I'm also hesitating about applying for International Studies instead of IRO, any advice ?
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    NOO1234 and justaprank
    Did either of you start at Leiden Uni for IRO? How are you finding it? I am hoping to apply for Sept '19 intake... Brexit allowing.
    Hey!! I’m also applying for September 2019 intake for IRO. See you there hahah
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Hi Meg

Are you a UK student?

I attended 'student for the day' in April and loved it. The Hague was beautiful and the Uni so welcoming and interesting. I am definitely applying. What else are you applying for?

ReputationRep:
    Hi Meg

Are you a UK student?

I attended 'student for the day' in April and loved it. The Hague was beautiful and the Uni so welcoming and interesting. I am definitely applying. What else are you applying for?
    Hi sorry for the late reply!
    I hold a UK passports and a Dutch passport so I will probably be applying as a Dutch student if they allow it. I wanted to go to the student for the day thing so badly but I live so far away haha. In terms of courses I’m only really interested in IRO and similar variations, but definitely not international studies. I’ll be applying to other unis though like Amsterdam and Groningen.
    What other unis and courses are you applying for?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
  3. University of Glasgow
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.