Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I was just wondering if someone with really bad GCSEs or no GCSEs for example, would have an advantage over someone with for example mostly Bs with a few As, if they had a very good excuse.
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I doubt it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VictorGon)
    Hi, I was just wondering if someone with really bad GCSEs or no GCSEs for example, would have an advantage over someone with for example mostly Bs with a few As, if they had a very good excuse.
    Thanks
    It depends on the nature of circumstances, what you are applying to, and what you define as "really bad" GCSEs. In the case of no GCSEs, that would be a definite problem.

ReputationRep:
    Who are they giving the excuse to and what sort of excuse is it? There aren't many excuses that would apply for the time period necessary.to explain truly terrible GCSEs.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Depends how good someone is at their subject, what and where they are applying for etc. I've awful GCSEs but I've serious and complicated extentuating circumstances. I'm applying to all top 20 (mainly top 10) russel group unis and already have two offers.

ReputationRep:
    If there were serious extenuating circumstances and then the person was able to show a significant improvement with AS/A level grades then they'd probably be ok.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by VictorGon)
    Thanks
    If it's absolutely no GCSE's then you might have a problem.

ReputationRep:
    It depends on the situation. A girl in my year received no GCSEs at grades C or above due to severe mental illness across the last 18 months of GCSE study, and spending considerable amounts of time sectioned in hospital or units. Despite this, she managed to get onto a course at college, and so if she manages to complete and pass this, her GCSEs will be or no relevance.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SteamboatMickey)
    Depends how good someone is at their subject, what and where they are applying for etc. I've awful GCSEs but I've serious and complicated extentuating circumstances. I'm applying to all top 20 (mainly top 10) russel group unis and already have two offers.
    So do you have to fill out a form for the extenuating circumstances? If so is there a deadline?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Maria24365)
    So do you have to fill out a form for the extenuating circumstances? If so is there a deadline?
    For Cambridge I did, and it had to go with my UCAS so the deadline was October 15th, for other unis it just got put briefly into my reference and I'm hoping for the best.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SteamboatMickey)
    For Cambridge I did, and it had to go with my UCAS so the deadline was October 15th, for other unis it just got put briefly into my reference and I'm hoping for the best.
    oooh so you don't always have to sign a form, i'm in the first year of A-levels, so it still means that i'm able to apply for it right? and Good Luck!^^
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Maria24365)
    oooh so you don't always have to sign a form, i'm in the first year of A-levels, so it still means that i'm able to apply for it right? and Good Luck!^^
    Yeah, just make sure your school/college are aware of everything

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.