PsychedUpMuch
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Outline and evaluate Bowlby's monotropic theory of attachment. (16 marks)

Hey so I'm in year 12 and I'll be doing a timed essay in psychology (First essay) which is a separate part of my end of module test and I'm allowed to bring an A4 paged plan with me.

I was wondering whether anyone had any ideas about how I can do good at this essay. What points should I include?

So far I got: Attachment and: Innate, adaptive, monotropic and internal working model reasons, Rutter's orphan studies, Harlow and Lorenz's conclusions, ideas on deprivation, privation and institutionalisation.

Any help?
Thanks ~♥
P.S: Sorry for the chunky info. x.x
btea
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'd definitely talk about the evolutionary purpose of the monotropy. Both mother and child need the attachment (so the mother can pass on her genes and so that the baby can survive) and social releasers condition both parties into behaving in a way that fulfils these needs.
PsychedUpMuch
Rep:
?
(Original post by btea)
I'd definitely talk about the evolutionary purpose of the monotropy. Both mother and child need the attachment (so the mother can pass on her genes and so that the baby can survive) and social releasers condition both parties into behaving in a way that fulfils these needs.
Thanks So when writing the essay, how do I make sure it's not back to front? (Did that in a practise essay...)
ItsKiara
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
make sure you get the split right: 16 marks is 6 marks worth of content and 10 marks worth of evaluation, so make sure you have more evaluation than content. 3-4 detailed evaluation points.
btea
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by PsychedUpMuch)
Thanks So when writing the essay, how do I make sure it's not back to front? (Did that in a practise essay...)
How do you mean? Also, are you with AQA?

When I did my long answer questions in AS last year I did 4 developed paragraphs each time. Start with AO1 and then go on to evaluate that information in detail for the latter part of each paragraph. I got close to full marks in both papers so if you have any questions give me a shout. Once you nail your answer structures, it's easy to get good marks :-)
PsychedUpMuch
Rep:
?
(Original post by RueXO)
make sure you get the split right: 16 marks is 6 marks worth of content and 10 marks worth of evaluation, so make sure you have more evaluation than content. 3-4 detailed evaluation points.
Would adding an evaluation to each AO1 work if there is at least 6-7 different points?
PsychedUpMuch
Rep:
?
(Original post by btea)
How do you mean? Also, are you with AQA?

When I did my long answer questions in AS last year I did 4 developed paragraphs each time. Start with AO1 and then go on to evaluate that information in detail for the latter part of each paragraph. I got close to full marks in both papers so if you have any questions give me a shout. Once you nail your answer structures, it's easy to get good marks :-)
Yep I'm doing AQA By back to front I meant how I should make the essay 'flow' instead of being in a random order etc.
btea
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Yep I'm doing AQA By back to front I meant how I should make the essay 'flow' instead of being in a random order etc.
It doesn't matter too much with Psychology because you can just chunk it into different paragraphs. They're not necessarily looking for an elegant writing style. As long as your points make sense within themselves, it's all good :-)
ItsKiara
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Would adding an evaluation to each AO1 work if there is at least 6-7 different points?
Not each A01, Then you'd end up with 6-7 evaluation points. You have roughly 1 mark per minute, It's not feasible. In my essays so far I managed 12/16 (A) and 13/16 (A*), i'm in my second year rn and last year we didn't do 16 markers, we all did 12 markers.

It depends on the question as to how you do your essay- for your particular one on attachment, do your A01 para first and then do 3-4 detailed evaluation points (fully PEEL them)

Remember, it's better to do 3-4 amazingly detailed evaluation points than 5-6 rushed ones.
Last year my problem was wasting too long on A01, which lost my marks lol. I'd always get like 7-8/12, and in my mock I got 6/12 :| but i fixed it all up now.
ItsKiara
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Outline and evaluate Bowlby's monotropic theory of attachment. (16 marks)

Hey so I'm in year 12 and I'll be doing a timed essay in psychology (First essay) which is a separate part of my end of module test and I'm allowed to bring an A4 paged plan with me.

I was wondering whether anyone had any ideas about how I can do good at this essay. What points should I include?

So far I got: Attachment and: Innate, adaptive, monotropic and internal working model reasons, Rutter's orphan studies, Harlow and Lorenz's conclusions, ideas on deprivation, privation and institutionalisation.

Any help?
Thanks ~♥
P.S: Sorry for the chunky info. x.x
I could show you my A* essay if you want to see the structure? My handwriting is sht lol and it's a topic you haven't covered yet (I'm in 2nd year, this is an aggression essay I did in timed condition, w/o notes)

PM me if you want it. The way I structured it could help you, though bare in mind that the structure depends a lot on the question you get- I think the structure I used is more suited to the question I got.
PsychedUpMuch
Rep:
?
Ok so I'm asking a lot of questions but pretty nervous about this. XD
In my plan, would it be a good choice to write down the different points I should include (Innate reasons, social releases, Harlow's monkey study etc) in short?

If so, what points SHOULD I include?

Thanks xx
PsychedUpMuch
Rep:
?
Thanks all ♥
And yes please, I'd like to see your essay.
holly123xox
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
yes please
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you consider Adjustment if your grades were higher than you expected?

Yes, I'd look at higher ranking universities than my current choices (108)
43.9%
Yes, I'd look for a course or uni that is a better fit for me (40)
16.26%
No, I'd stick with my current uni choice (93)
37.8%
Something else (let us know in the thread below!) (5)
2.03%

Watched Threads