The Student Room Group

Help! French or Biology A Level?

Hi I'm new!! 😁 can anyone help me out? I'm really stuck as to what to do. At the moment I'm taking English literature, spanish, psychology, French and biology for A Level. I'm really enjoying English, Spanish and psychology but I really need to decide my 4th subject. I've taken all of them for one half term but I'm still really stuck. I don't think I will do medicine at uni but I thought biology would open doors and I found it enjoyable at GCSE (I did double science iGCSE by the way and got AA). But I really loved French at (I)GCSE and somehow got an A*. Before I wanted to do a language degree and become a translator/interpreter. However A level was a big shock and I now find French incredibly difficult and was predicted a C 😢 (even though I got predominantly Bs in my work). With biology I got Bs too in my work and was predicted a B... But I didn't do well in the test as I had so much work with all my other 4 subjects. I talked to my teacher and she said I was doing well in homework so I shouldn't be disheartened. My French speaking teacher said I was good at French and said that it would be a shame if I dropped it... what should I do?
Reply 1
Please please help!
French is a no-brainer! I did it at AS and can assure you that you will love it :yep:Plus if you ever need a hand with anything/do AQA - I've resources and stuff I'd be willing to share to help you out!
Good luck with your decision! :france:

Spoiler

Original post by Ellz345
Please please help!
Original post by CheeseIsVeg
French is a no-brainer! I did it at AS and can assure you that you will love it :yep:Plus if you ever need a hand with anything/do AQA - I've resources and stuff I'd be willing to share to help you out!
Good luck with your decision! :france:

Spoiler

Doctors or Biologists would disagree.
Original post by Illimitable
Doctors or Biologists would disagree.

:shh: it's not real
don't give in to the illuminati
:shh: it's not real
don't give in to the illuminati

Haha! I might pass out any second, don't be alarmed if I don't reply for another 9 hours or so. :smile:
Reply 6
Thank you!! 😁 I'm not a natural scientist anyway 🇫🇷
Haha! I might pass out any second, don't be alarmed if I don't reply for another 9 hours or so. :smile:

uh ok
I will be
Are you ok?
Dude :s-smilie:
Reply 8
Really depends entirely on your future, if you want to do a language degree then go for the French.

Languages at A-Level are notoriously difficult and you should not feel discouraged for being predicted a C.
uh ok
I will be
Are you ok?
Dude :s-smilie:

I don't mean it as in that way I mean it in I'm so tired!
I don't mean it as in that way I mean it in I'm so tired!

oh ok :redface:
same tbh :colondollar:goodnight, sleep well :smile:
oh ok :redface:
same tbh :colondollar:goodnight, sleep well :smile:

Goodnight!:rip:
Reply 12
Original post by Inexorably
Really depends entirely on your future, if you want to do a language degree then go for the French.

Languages at A-Level are notoriously difficult and you should not feel discouraged for being predicted a C.

Thanks! It's a massive step up and I wanted some options to fall back on. I hope I can get better though eventually and it doesn't help when a lot of my class are fluent. :frown:
Definitely drop biology! You're only a couple of months into French, I only do Spanish but you honestly improve so much in AS year. Only doing one science at A level doesn't really open up options and I would definitely pick French in your situation as predicted grades don't mean anything at this stage. Plus I'm saying that as a biology student!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Original post by Ellz345
Hi I'm new!! 😁 can anyone help me out? I'm really stuck as to what to do. At the moment I'm taking English literature, spanish, psychology, French and biology for A Level. I'm really enjoying English, Spanish and psychology but I really need to decide my 4th subject. I've taken all of them for one half term but I'm still really stuck. I don't think I will do medicine at uni but I thought biology would open doors and I found it enjoyable at GCSE (I did double science iGCSE by the way and got AA). But I really loved French at (I)GCSE and somehow got an A*. Before I wanted to do a language degree and become a translator/interpreter. However A level was a big shock and I now find French incredibly difficult and was predicted a C 😢 (even though I got predominantly Bs in my work). With biology I got Bs too in my work and was predicted a B... But I didn't do well in the test as I had so much work with all my other 4 subjects. I talked to my teacher and she said I was doing well in homework so I shouldn't be disheartened. My French speaking teacher said I was good at French and said that it would be a shame if I dropped it... what should I do?

I think French will fit in better with your other subjects. I didn't do French at AS but I know people who did and it is really tough at first, but it's one of those subjects that gets better with time and dedication to it.
A-Levels are often a bit of a shock - in my first AS Maths test, for example, I got a low C, but by the end of the year I was getting >90% in every assessment and went on to get a 94 UMS average at AS - I'm now predicted an A*.
In terms of the biology, you can't do Medicine without Chemistry anyway so it wouldn't "open that door" as it were.

Quick Reply

Latest