Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    i am applying to osychology and cannot understand what the differance is between psychology BA and Psychology MA

ReputationRep:
    BA is undergraduate, MA is a taught postgraduate course

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anna.Karenina)
    Apart from Oxbridge, where M.A. denotes a status within the university and is awarded after a certain period of time has elapsed from being awarded the B.A.

ReputationRep:
    One is a Bachelor of Arts and the other a Master of Arts. The MA follows the same curriculum and difficulty for the first 4 years as the BA. The MA is really just an additional year where you most likely do a more advanced project than in 4th year.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anna.Karenina)
    That is what i thought too but the MA on the ucas website is classed as a undergraduate degree i have attached an exert to show you..ma.docx
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    The exception is Scottish degrees. As you can start uni at 17 in Scotland, you can choose to either do the MA (4 years) or start in the second year (bachelors). The Scottish MA is still the equivalent of an English bachelors degree tho

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emma2799)
    That is what i thought too but the MA on the ucas website is classed as a undergraduate degree i have attached an exert to show you..ma.docx
    As RossB mentiones, some universities (http://www.birmingham.ac.uk/undergra...-research.aspx) also allow you to apply for a masters course which would start on the fourth year of study. These typically have fewer places and higher entry requirements, and shouldn't be confused with 4 year oxbridge/Dublin MAs (see here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Master...ge_and_Dublin) ) .

The main advantage of these is that your fourth year is included in your funding from student's loan co. Otherwise there was no other way to fund a masters course other than parents/self-funding, however postgraduate loans have recently been made available https://www.gov.uk/postgraduate-loan/overview .

I'm not sure how a post-graduate loan really compares to a regular student loan, but otherwise there would be no advantage in applying fora masters course when your 17 compared to when you finish university. Many masters courses (especially research ones) are very easy to get onto and you may find that your interests have changed when you graduate, so you may not actually want to do a masters or want to do one at a different place on something else.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 30, 2016
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  2. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. Bishop Grosseteste University
    All Courses Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.