Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Does it matter?

ReputationRep:
    Yes, it does matter what uni you go to, but the distinction isn't between red brick and non-red brick: it's more Russell Group and non-Russell Group, and even then there are certain ones in the Russell Group that are better than others. The best ones for Law are Oxbridge/LSE/UCL/Durham/Bristol/KCL/Nottingham/Manchester/Warwick, roughly in that order.

See here, this should be your bible: http://www.chambersstudent.co.uk/med...university.pdf

Pn2020

ReputationRep:
    "Does it matter" is very subjective. It depends entirely on what you plan to do with your degree. Not many firms today buy into to elite-im of where someone goes to Uni - more and more city firms are taking a CV blind approach.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dontcallmesammy)
    "Does it matter" is very subjective. It depends entirely on what you plan to do with your degree. Not many firms today buy into to elite-im of where someone goes to Uni - more and more city firms are taking a CV blind approach.
    say if i wanted to become a lawyer and i didn't go to a russell group uni, would it matter that much to employers at higher up law firms?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abstract_Prism)
    Yes, it does matter what uni you go to, but the distinction isn't between red brick and non-red brick: it's more Russell Group and non-Russell Group, and even then there are certain ones in the Russell Group that are better than others. The best ones for Law are Oxbridge/LSE/UCL/Durham/Bristol/KCL/Nottingham/Manchester/Warwick, roughly in that order.

See here, this should be your bible: http://www.chambersstudent.co.uk/med...university.pdf

Pn2020
    According to that Chambers research then as the bible, unless you want to live and work in London, you are better off going to Sheffield than any of the universities that you mentioned

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MJ6987)
    According to that Chambers research then as the bible, unless you want to live and work in London, you are better off going to Sheffield than any of the universities that you mentioned
    No, Sheffield is only at the top because most of the graduates from the good universities go to the top London firms because they can. Does that mean that an Oxford graduate would lose out to a Sheffield graduate for a firm in the North-West, if everything else was equal? No way. The thing is that most Oxford graduates don't want to work in a small regional firm in the North-East.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pn2020)
    say if i wanted to become a lawyer and i didn't go to a russell group uni, would it matter that much to employers at higher up law firms?
    Most likely.

ReputationRep:
    Unless that non-RG uni is St Andrews or Leicester, probably yes.

I had a look through that Chambers Student report thing though, and the closing statement is something quite important to consider:
    "What we're saying is that yes, there are certainly a group of universities that are popular with law firms, but there are always exceptions. If you're at an institution that isn't one of the best-regarded, it's not the end of the world – make sure you concentrate on getting the best degree result possible and work on enhancing your CV in other ways. And if you're studying at one of the 'big names' don't get complacent – yes you're well-placed to succeed, but these days simply having a Russell Group uni on your CV is not enough."

ReputationRep:
    Im applying for uni this year but i was wondering, does it matter that much if you go to a red brick uni for law or not? Ive heard differing opinions on this and I'm not sure if for law it would be better off going to a red brick university for law or a none red brick university. Do employers care that much about where you've gone? thanks
    It is far less important than it ever has been.

I've been a recruiter and it's one of the last things they concern themselves about.

However, more traditional/established universities are generally better at helping you develop so you can obtain the career. Whether it's more opportunities, greater extra curriculars, better careers service, better networks with employers, better alumni networks within law firms, even being in a year group where more people are aspiring to pursue the same career as you, you have a better set up to prepare you for the career.

With other universities, you might just have to work a bit harder and be a bit more proactive to get the same opportunities as those at a top red brick.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Agree on the above on Russell Group v Non Russell Group, and yes there is also a hierarchy within the Russell Group. Liverpool for example is very low in the group. I do Law at Manchester, find it excellent so far lots of the big city and all the magic circle firms visit as well. Already networked with 4 at their presentations. Careers service is brilliant. If you want any info on Law at Manchester PM me.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 3, 2016
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. London Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  2. Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.