?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Does it matter?
Abstract_Prism
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Yes, it does matter what uni you go to, but the distinction isn't between red brick and non-red brick: it's more Russell Group and non-Russell Group, and even then there are certain ones in the Russell Group that are better than others. The best ones for Law are Oxbridge/LSE/UCL/Durham/Bristol/KCL/Nottingham/Manchester/Warwick, roughly in that order.

See here, this should be your bible: http://www.chambersstudent.co.uk/med...university.pdf

Pn2020
dontcallmesammy
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
"Does it matter" is very subjective. It depends entirely on what you plan to do with your degree. Not many firms today buy into to elite-im of where someone goes to Uni - more and more city firms are taking a CV blind approach.
kr7650
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by dontcallmesammy)
"Does it matter" is very subjective. It depends entirely on what you plan to do with your degree. Not many firms today buy into to elite-im of where someone goes to Uni - more and more city firms are taking a CV blind approach.
say if i wanted to become a lawyer and i didn't go to a russell group uni, would it matter that much to employers at higher up law firms?
MJ6987
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Abstract_Prism)
Yes, it does matter what uni you go to, but the distinction isn't between red brick and non-red brick: it's more Russell Group and non-Russell Group, and even then there are certain ones in the Russell Group that are better than others. The best ones for Law are Oxbridge/LSE/UCL/Durham/Bristol/KCL/Nottingham/Manchester/Warwick, roughly in that order.

See here, this should be your bible: http://www.chambersstudent.co.uk/med...university.pdf

Pn2020
According to that Chambers research then as the bible, unless you want to live and work in London, you are better off going to Sheffield than any of the universities that you mentioned
Abstract_Prism
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by MJ6987)
According to that Chambers research then as the bible, unless you want to live and work in London, you are better off going to Sheffield than any of the universities that you mentioned
No, Sheffield is only at the top because most of the graduates from the good universities go to the top London firms because they can. Does that mean that an Oxford graduate would lose out to a Sheffield graduate for a firm in the North-West, if everything else was equal? No way. The thing is that most Oxford graduates don't want to work in a small regional firm in the North-East.
Abstract_Prism
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Pn2020)
say if i wanted to become a lawyer and i didn't go to a russell group uni, would it matter that much to employers at higher up law firms?
Most likely.
DarkEnergy
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Pn2020)
Unless that non-RG uni is St Andrews or Leicester, probably yes.

I had a look through that Chambers Student report thing though, and the closing statement is something quite important to consider:
"What we're saying is that yes, there are certainly a group of universities that are popular with law firms, but there are always exceptions. If you're at an institution that isn't one of the best-regarded, it's not the end of the world – make sure you concentrate on getting the best degree result possible and work on enhancing your CV in other ways. And if you're studying at one of the 'big names' don't get complacent – yes you're well-placed to succeed, but these days simply having a Russell Group uni on your CV is not enough."
ORW
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Agree on the above on Russell Group v Non Russell Group, and yes there is also a hierarchy within the Russell Group. Liverpool for example is very low in the group. I do Law at Manchester, find it excellent so far lots of the big city and all the magic circle firms visit as well. Already networked with 4 at their presentations. Careers service is brilliant. If you want any info on Law at Manchester PM me.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

• University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19
  • University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 31 Aug '19

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (214)
12.57%
Excited (156)
9.17%
Worried (305)
17.92%
Terrified (379)
22.27%
Meh (165)
9.69%
Confused (37)
2.17%