Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys

I'm 17 and have a part time job
    I was meant to work a 10hr shift today but when I walked in I was told to wait around for another hour and 15 before I could work. In total I had to wait around for 5 hours, I wasn't allowed to leave during this time and as told I wouldn't be paid. Is there a chance I could claim this back?

Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    If you were told you couldn't leave and were made to be there by them in the first place you should be paid.

ReputationRep:
    Of course you should be paid for the time you spend there

ReputationRep:
    What job do you do? I think they can argue not to pay you because you technically weren't 'Working" if you were sat around waiting to start..But you should be paid..morally.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a runner in a restaurant - I clear tables and stuff like that

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Jackieox)
    What job do you do? I think they can argue not to pay you because you technically weren't 'Working" if you were sat around waiting to start..But you should be paid..morally.
    I agree.
    Its like that where i work (one of my jobs). You dont get paid ion the odd times you are sat round waiting to start.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    You need to read your contract. Maybe go and see someone at CAB. The difficulty is that if you kick up a fuss, even if correct, then they may well ignore you and that means you would have to take it a step further. The result is they could get rid of you.

If the restaurant is a chain, then maybe you could contact HR to see what the company policy is.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Elsiebellsxx)
    Hi guys

I'm 17 and have a part time job
    I was meant to work a 10hr shift today but when I walked in I was told to wait around for another hour and 15 before I could work. In total I had to wait around for 5 hours, I wasn't allowed to leave during this time and as told I wouldn't be paid. Is there a chance I could claim this back?

Thank you!
    I believe the tested legal position is that if the employer is in charge of what you do with your time and you are not on call or similar in your domestic setting, then you are 'at work' and should be paid, even if you did no work. They key is who is controlling your time and location. However, you need to weigh up whether it is worth kicking up a fuss about this after the event, or whether you should have just been more positive about the situation at the time.

ReputationRep:
    They owe me around £60

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Elsiebellsxx)
    They owe me around £60

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Have you rea your contract or been to see CAB?

You think you are owed that money but you have to check to be sure.

Your difficulty is getting them to take notice.

ReputationRep:
    Hi I haven't had a chance but my payslip is saying one thing and the amount I'm being paid is different
    I've found another job now
    Thank you all for your help!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.