Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'd appreciate some guidance on what to take next year - at the moment I'm stuck between Maths and French.

Basically, I know I'm not a natural at Maths; at AS I probably worked harder for Maths than I did for anything else, and did manage to get an A (264 UMS, with 90/100 on C1 and C2, and 84/100 on S1.) However, I know that A2 is a completely different ball game for Maths especially. The A2 work we did after exams was do-able, but it was more following the examples and plugging numbers in where appropriate rather than actually knowing what we were doing or why.

So anyway, I know no one can tell me what to take, but I was wondering whether A2 actually requires people to have some talent in Maths/be naturally good at it. Is hard work enough? I don't want to have to spend all my time concentrating on it so that other subjects have to suffer.

(By the way, I'll be taking S2 as my applied module and it's OCR, if that makes any difference.)

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I would say this: in my experience, I had to work a lot more for french than I ever had to for maths or further maths. Many people do find maths A2 hard, but even if you have to work, it is very doable indeed. For the less-stressing option, I'd advise you to go for maths. Just do what you feel happiest with. Your AS grade and mark are very good indeed, and a solid foundation for A2.

ReputationRep:
    i dont think you will require much more work for A2 maths

are you dropping a subject then?

ReputationRep:
    Take Maths!

ReputationRep:
    Just practice a hell of a lot. The questions still don't change much, even at A2.

ReputationRep:
    Based on what you've said, you'll breeze maths.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Horrorshow)
    Based on what you've said, you'll breeze maths.

I'd agree if you picked up c1+2 to 90 at the first attempt it seems like you wont have much trouble adapting to c3+4 .. and s2 is a doddle.

ReputationRep:
    ^ It should be ok, but you can't expect to still walk it. The content is much harder.

ReputationRep:
    i found c3 easier than c2. its only trig which is slightly harder

ReputationRep:
    I'm having the same problem as you! I got 88/100 on C1/S1 and 84/100 C2, had to revise so hard.

My C1 was a resit from 79 though and if you got 90 first time, you're pretty sorted. Which subject do you enjoy more/ is more relevent to your future plans in terms of course etc?

I also did French AS and found it easier than maths most of the time.

ReputationRep:
    All my friends who did french spent ages learning lots of different tenses which was a ball ache. Maths, they say, is much less work. Ask your teachers what they think - they know you better than any of us do :yep:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 3, 2009

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • University of Chester
    Chester campuses Undergraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Ambitious, driven, developing your career & employability? Aspiring in your field, up-skilling after a career break? Then our Postgrad Open Evening is for you. Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Equations

Best calculators for A level Maths

Tips on which model to get

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.