Turn on thread page Beta

How to make new friends? watch

ReputationRep:
    I've had a closed group of friends that have been a big part of my life for as long as i can remember. Recently they've gotten girlfriends and no longer want anything to do with me.

Now i'm struggling because they were my friends. I'm basically alone now, I'd go to a club alone but the stigma behind it would probably end up with me looking like some sort of weirdo.

I'm in Chester, does anyone local know of good places to meet new people? Any and all advice is welcome.

ReputationRep:
    I think the answer to your question depends upon the stage of life you are in. If you have not yet gone off to uni yet. If you are younger than uni you might have to reach back to old friends and strike up conversations with them then ask them to go do something. Hopefully you have some peripheral friends who might not have hung out w/ your main group of friends but you know well enough to talk to them after class or invite them go somewhere. Those are the people you should think about and reach out to first. If you are at uni then, of course, go seek out new societies but don't skip meetings and get actively involved. If at uni reach out to other peripheral friends. Volunteering (w/out knowing you it's hard to make suggestions) and attending religion based organizations is also a good way to meet new people. If you are out of uni, it can be harder as (like you are experiencing) couples are pairing off. Find a new hobby or sport and learn that. This situation will eventually resolve and the guys like to go out w/ guys to sports etc. but that will take a few years, to be honest. If this is the case continue to reach out to your friend group. Again, volunteering and joining and getting involved with a religious organization can be helpful. Also, one can get to know work colleagues better. This type of thing will take patience and effort on your part. You will have to swallow your pride and contact people yourself and don't rely on the group. Also, you may have better luck organizing an activity with a friend from your friend group one on one. If you are out of uni eveyone's schedules get so busy that it is hard to find time for the group to meet together. During this time focus on what you like to do and focus on that..... playing a sport, playing an instrument, learning a new language etc. Best of Luck to you!
    I have been where you are and eventually it will resolve itself but it does take time (more than you'd like) and patience.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 30, 2016
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.