Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

A new JFK? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm working on Sen. Kerry's campaign at the moment as a political intern in Washington DC. I met Barock Obama at a fundraiser last week and spoke with him and his wife; they are truly impressive people. Being centerist in political opinion (by american standards at least) I watched Mr Obama's speech at the Democratic convention last night and was extremely impressed by his openess to beliefs held by both Republicans and Democrats. He has the power to captivate the people like JFK and I was wondering what others think of him? I truly believe he may one day be President. Hopefully he won't run with H. Clinton though. I'd prefer an Obama/Powell ticket.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by USUK1)
    I'm working on Sen. Kerry's campaign at the moment as a political intern in Washington DC. I met Barock Obama at a fundraiser last week and spoke with him and his wife; they are truly impressive people. Being centerist in political opinion (by american standards at least) I watched Mr Obama's speech at the Democratic convention last night and was extremely impressed by his openess to beliefs held by both Republicans and Democrats. He has the power to captivate the people like JFK and I was wondering what others think of him? I truly believe he may one day be President. Hopefully he won't run with H. Clinton though. I'd prefer an Obama/Powell ticket.
    I dunno anything about Obama other then that he is running unopposed, he'll never be president though, i just don't see america electing a president of a visible minority anytime in the near future. Plus after Kerry loses this election who knows what will happen to the democrats

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MuniE)
    I dunno anything about Obama other then that he is running unopposed, he'll never be president though, i just don't see america electing a president of a visible minority anytime in the near future. Plus after Kerry loses this election who knows what will happen to the democrats
    That would be "if" kerry loses.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by USUK1)
    Other than his initials and being a Democrat, Kerry doesn't have much in common with JFK. JFK would be considered a far-right conservative by today's standards. JFK lobbied for a tax cut throughout 1963 and was strong on defense. It shows you just how far left we have strayed in the past 40 years. Kerry has the most liberal voting record of any senator.

ReputationRep:
    I live in IL and plan on voting for Obama (will have to vote absentee... as I'll be in LONDON!) His speech was v. impressive, but I wonder if the democrats are putting too much early pressure and expectations on him? He's not even a U.S. senator yet and 'future president' is being thrown around. Doesn't give him much room for any sort of failures... However he is charismatic, intelligent (my god... editor of Harvard Law Review) articulate but also able to connect to an audience.
    One thing that has really been pissing me off though is how he's being labeled 'black' and 'african-american.' African-american is a fair description, seeing as his mother was American (caucasian) and his father Kenyan (of African descent). However, his mother was white, so in that sense he's just as much white as he is black. But according to present US standards, being half black constitutes being fully black and thus African American.
    I have no issues with him being half white/half black, I wouldn't care if he's 100% 'black' but I think there is some sort of double standard being applied here. Why don't they refer to him as mixed race? The fact that his mother is white is being completely glossed over, and I just don't understand why this is so in the US.
    As far as his heritage, under the current standards being used, and him being labeled 'african-american' a label that infers 'black' he could equally be called a 'white' candidate. How can one half of his parentage be ignored?
    The case is similar with Tiger Woods. I honestly wish we could move beyond race as an identifier in this country and instead judge individuals on their merits alone. The fact that Obama is black, seems to make his achievements even better, almost unbelievable, as to say, a black man shouldn't be editor of harvard law review, professor of law at U of C and state senator... Why can't we focus on the fact that this is just a brilliant MAN, rather than considering him an anomaly: i.e. a brilliant black man?

ReputationRep:
    Why would anyone want to be compared to JFK?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Speciez99)
    Why would anyone want to be compared to JFK?
    to think he could have had Marilyn Monroe...

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.