Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    hey there,

I am Canadian citizen but wish to join the RAF as an Officer. I have gone through Cranwell once before, but now I hope to re-apply for Fighter Controller or NCO Aircrew. Recently, nationality requirements for certain RAF positions have changed and the fact that I am a Commonwealth citizen is of no help any longer. I am thoroughly up-to-date on the broad requirements for nationality (fulll british or dual- British & other nationality).

My question is in regards to any "loop-hole" options??? For the last year whilst studying at the University of Aberdeen I served with the Aberdeen Universities Officers Training Corps; is their any possibilities to ask for an exception from Cranwell based on serving in the UK armed forces as a TA soldier and my prior application to Cranwell???

I would really appreciate any usefull help in this, Thanks

Josh
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    Hey there, sorry for not replying to you sooner.

Right I will just run through the requirements quickly, in case you don't know them fully.
    You must be a British citizen since birth, or the citizen of a commonwealth contry since birth. You may not have any dual-nationalities and you must have lived in Britian or a commonwealth contry for the past 5 years with a checkable background to 10 years.

I would say that no, you won't find any loopholes. I have been a british citizen since birth but my application was almost scrapped because I lived in America for awhile. The best thing to do would be to phone your local AFCO which on Aberdeen is 01224 640251. Ask to speak to Corporal Gorman or Sergent Rooney and they will be able to help you.

What did you do at Aberdeen by the way? I did Chemistry there last year. Small world.

ReputationRep:
    Christ, its nice to know im not the only person in canada on this forum that wants to join the British Military. I want to be a Infantry officer, I still have to finish 1 year of highschool. Hey jellins, where you from in B.C. and what school you from and what grades did ya get?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by canuck)
    nice to know im not the only person in canada on this forum that wants to join the British Military.
    Why the British Military and not the Canadian one, or am I missing something here?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    Why the British Military and not the Canadian one, or am I missing something here?

look into it, the canadian military is pretty pathetic.

ReputationRep:
    look into it, the canadian military is pretty pathetic.
    I guess if you're good enough you might get to join one of the elite forces of the world, the SAS.

I didn't know Canadian military was that bad. I guess the American one is not for consideration?

ReputationRep:
    hey sublime_envy,

sorry to go off-topic here slightly but i read your bit about problems due to living in the states. I am having problems now getting in to a UAS due to living overseas as well, but mine deals with not living in the UK for three years prior to applicaiton. Was this your problem or the very fact that you lived overseas just for a portion of your life was actualy considered a problem?? The RAF have said I can apply in three years time (which I will do) but do u think me having lived in Thailand will still be an issue even then??

Thanks mate, just asking cause u seem to be one of the few people who has or had a similar porblem to me, thanks!!

George.

ReputationRep:
    I guess if you're good enough you might get to join one of the elite forces of the world, the SAS.

I didn't know Canadian military was that bad. I guess the American one is not for consideration?
    Far from it, christ, are military is slowly being absorbed by the yanks. My Grampa fought in the gumboot navy, my great grandfather fought at vimy ridge. I still have many known relatives in britainn, and only 3 generations of my family have lived in canada, before that they lived in britain.

ReputationRep:
    My Grampa fought in the gumboot navy, my great grandfather fought at vimy ridge. I still have many known relatives in britainn, and only 3 generations of my family have lived in canada, before that they lived in britain.
    A historical and family link to join Britain

ReputationRep:
    A historical and family link to join Britain
    yes, but i have a little problem. I have my step fathers last name which is Van Buskirk. Im not sure if this will effect the chances for myself to join as a officer.

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.