The Student Room Group

Coming out to parents help!!

so I'm a bi girl, and I've been dating my gf for almost 2 years. Everyone at my school knows (thanks to someone outing me) and all my friends are super chill and fine with it. Only thing is, I kind of... never quite got round to telling my parents. It never seemed quite the right moment, or I'd honestly just forget. Somehow this has gone on for 2 whole years now. I guess you could call me the queen of procrastination. I don't get on with my mum but I know her and my dad would probably (?) be fine with it. The downside would be my gf wouldn't be allowed to stay over / be in my room with doors closed etc.

Oh also last weekend my best friend came round and we made a massive rainbow (like, the size of my bed) out of this stack of coloured card we found and then glued it to my wall. I'm not sure I can give a bigger hint to them.

Also I've already told my older brother & sister, it's literally just my parents.

So basically, if I tell my parents now then
a) they'll be mad I didn't tell them like 2 years ago
b) my mum will probably not let me & my gf be alone together
c) ugh how do I tell them

So should I tell them? What should I say? Or do I just leave it.. I guess if they outright asked me I'd say yeah but they never have.
Original post by fallingleaves6
so I'm a bi girl, and I've been dating my gf for almost 2 years. Everyone at my school knows (thanks to someone outing me) and all my friends are super chill and fine with it. Only thing is, I kind of... never quite got round to telling my parents. It never seemed quite the right moment, or I'd honestly just forget. Somehow this has gone on for 2 whole years now. I guess you could call me the queen of procrastination. I don't get on with my mum but I know her and my dad would probably (?) be fine with it. The downside would be my gf wouldn't be allowed to stay over / be in my room with doors closed etc.

Oh also last weekend my best friend came round and we made a massive rainbow (like, the size of my bed) out of this stack of coloured card we found and then glued it to my wall. I'm not sure I can give a bigger hint to them.

Also I've already told my older brother & sister, it's literally just my parents.

So basically, if I tell my parents now then
a) they'll be mad I didn't tell them like 2 years ago
b) my mum will probably not let me & my gf be alone together
c) ugh how do I tell them

So should I tell them? What should I say? Or do I just leave it.. I guess if they outright asked me I'd say yeah but they never have.

I think you should wait for the 2 year mark to hit - then take a picture of you and your GF and write a message explaining why you're choosing to come out. I think it would be really sweet and hopefully your parents will come around. Good luck though OP!
For part c you can literally just be blunt about it. I'm not sure how you say it really matters cause in the end you've gotta go "Yo I like both and have a gf" anyway.

I would've thought that by not telling them you'll be making your part a even worse for yourself.

Quick Reply

Latest