Turn on thread page Beta

Halloween!! Tell Me Something About it watch

ReputationRep:
    I have absolutely no idea what halloween is about except that kids and adults dress up in scary costumes, hollow pumpkins etc. Have seen some halloween themed movies and found halloween really intriguing. Do people scare others at night dressing up like monsters and stuff or is this just for show? What do people generally do on halloween?
    • Community Assistant
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    It's a bit silly
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    It's just become a way for businesses to make money like on Valentine's day lol. For older people, they go to parties and get smashed. Only the kids do 'trick or treat'.

I personally sit at home, sipping some pumpkin soup, while the kids are knocking on my door and I'm too busy enjoying my soup to care about giving my sweets to children.

ReputationRep:
    It was some sort of religious thing that got turned in a way for businesses to make money and for kids to scrounge your food.

Good opportunities for getting smashed at parties when you're older tho

ReputationRep:
    Just googled 'trick or treat' and search came up with this " a children's custom of calling at houses at Halloween with the threat of pranks if they are not given a small gift " do kids really do prank if they are not given sweets? kids must be so happy that day collecting sweets and pranking people

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Warrior Gene)
    Just googled 'trick or treat' and search came up with this " a children's custom of calling at houses at Halloween with the threat of pranks if they are not given a small gift " do kids really do prank if they are not given sweets? kids must be so happy that day collecting sweets and pranking people
    No, where I'm from the kids don't prank, people are either nice and give out sweets or don't bother to come to the door - if this happened we used to just move on.

Although, one time this man came to the door and started shouting at us and basically complaining about how it's a stupid American invention and it should have stayed there haha. I think he must have been annoyed at all the kids knocking on his door - even though we were the only people out around there.

But yeah the kids have great fun dressing up, yelling 'trick or treat' at strangers and getting free sweets.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.