The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

thefish_uk

That's the boatie / techie list... can't see most people needing to pack a soldering iron. :rolleyes: Gaffa tape, however, is apparently very good for emergency first aid.

This was slightly tongue-in-cheek! :p: Gaffer tape is useful for lots of thigns, though- taping up boxes of belongings that fall apart, fixing bike punctures (believe it or not!), and a myriad of other uses.

I generally take a few "smart casual" type clothes, ie. the kind you would expect to wear if you're hoping to be let into a club (btw - clubs in Cambridge are not at all picky about dress). It's nice to have something a bit tidier to put on if you're going out of an evening. Also, come May Week, many garden parties will specify a dress code (eg. "shirt and tie").

^^^ Wot he said. A few proper shirts and ties for blokes, and some formal-ish trousers wouldn't go amiss. You could get away with wearing a suit without the jacket, but you might want some lighter weight trousers for summer.
Reply 41
FadeToBlackout
This was slightly tongue-in-cheek! :p: Gaffer tape is useful for lots of thigns, though- taping up boxes of belongings that fall apart, fixing bike punctures (believe it or not!), and a myriad of other uses.

Life Skills 101:

if it moves and it shouldnt: gaffer tape
if it doesn't move and it should: WD40
Willa
Life Skills 101:

if it moves and it shouldnt: gaffer tape
if it doesn't move and it should: WD40

AEA version:

If it lets water in, gaffer tape.

If it falls apart, gaffer tape. (Although aparently very gaffer-taped RowShoes don't pass control commision at Peterborough... :p: )

If it lets light out where it shouldn't: gaffer tape. (Though the black masking foil stuff is better- Simon, what's that called? I can't remember...)
*brings all of her hiking and climbing gear* Right. I've packed :flute:
Reply 44
Apagg mentioned formals degenerating in the frist term to general jeans+shirt... it tends to depend on what mood the butlers in... but most people wear suits to formal all through the year - gowns can cover most alternatives but they are frowned upon.

I've been to some college formals where even gowns seem to be non-compulsory (clare).

What i pack seems to have tripled in size since my first year... essential list:

-suit
-toothbrush
-1 clean set of underwear
-biro + pad of paper
-cheque book
-a teaspoon on a chain

everything else is optional including footwear (unless you want to go into the UL)
Reply 45
in my first year I only took a toothbrush
Reply 46
--
OP
JHutcher
in my first year I only took a toothbrush

Wow, you must have had some seriously awkward tutorials then, huh?
Reply 47
The key as with all supervisions is eye-contact... its like cambridge essay bull****ting... do/say anything with enough confidence and nobody will mind at all.
Reply 48
--
OP
You realise that in the first week there will be a spate of freshers turning up for their first supervisions with nothing on and a toothbrush in their hand, just because they wanted to make a confident first impression? You will have many flustered fellows to feel responsible for... :p:
Reply 49
I have a few questions:

Is anyone else going to to the Prep course on the 24th Aug?

Someone wrote that I will need to bring the loan for course at the matriculation (whatever that is), when do I get that?

How long does the train take from Cambridge to London?
Reply 50
You realise that in the first week there will be a spate of freshers turning up for their first supervisions with nothing on and a toothbrush in their hand, just because they wanted to make a confident first impression? You will have many flustered fellows to feel responsible for... :p:

Lol, somwhere in the fresher's guide for the past few years, there's been an in-joke about bringing a pineapple and one poor fresher last year turned up to the garden party with one!
Reply 51
allanboy
I have a few questions:

Is anyone else going to to the Prep course on the 24th Aug?

Someone wrote that I will need to bring the loan for course at the matriculation (whatever that is), when do I get that?

The loan confirmation letter comes from your LEA, I can't remember when I got it, but it depends on when you applied I think. If in doubt, call up your LEA and find out.

The fast train (non-stop) takes about 45 minutes. The slower trains take about an hour.
JHutcher
The key as with all supervisions is eye-contact... its like cambridge essay bull****ting... do/say anything with enough confidence and nobody will mind at all.

Eye contact is good. In supervisions, everyone becomes a master of looking fascinated when they really can't be arsed. There was one supervisor last year (happened to be my DoS... luckily he's only young so I got away with it) who I couldn't help but smirk at when he got really enthusiastic about something... causing several supervisions to pause for "What are you laughing at? Come on, really, tell me."

James, the stuff you're referring to is called black wrap, I believe?
Reply 53
thefish_uk
Eye contact is good. In supervisions, everyone becomes a master of looking fascinated when they really can't be arsed.

I'm stealing this line for bumper stickers, facebook and freshers week. :rolleyes:
Reply 54
*Joanna*
Lol, somwhere in the fresher's guide for the past few years, there's been an in-joke about bringing a pineapple and one poor fresher last year turned up to the garden party with one!

Joanna - the question is where did you hide the pineapple when you realised you'd got it wrong?

O to be a fresher again... when pimms was posh and saying 'bop' still made me feel silly - don't you find everythings got so terribly... terribly
Reply 55
JHutcher
Joanna - the question is where did you hide the pineapple when you realised you'd got it wrong?

O to be a fresher again... when pimms was posh and saying 'bop' still made me feel silly - don't you find everythings got so terribly... terribly

:eek: How rude! I wasn't a fresher last year- I'm gonna be a wrinkly third year this time round. Poor guy, he couldn't work out why everyone was laughing at him.

I want kiddies but there wasn't enough to go round for my year- I'll have to steal someone else's!
*Joanna*
:eek: How rude! I wasn't a fresher last year- I'm gonna be a wrinkly third year this time round. Poor guy, he couldn't work out why everyone was laughing at him.

I want kiddies but there wasn't enough to go round for my year- I'll have to steal someone else's!

I'm an excentric great-uncle this year. ;yes;

And a grandad AND a father, as my son's starting again having degraded. I think. It's all VERY confusing.

The Fish

James, the stuff you're referring to is called black wrap, I believe?

Cheers. :smile:

There's three kinds of train- two from King's X (Fast- 45 minutes, stopping- hour and a bit) and then one from Liverpool Street (1 and a half hours or so. :smile: departures are quite frequent from King's X and I've never had to wait more than half an hour for a train.
Nobody's told me who my parents are yet :hmpf: And I'm prob two years older than them, which is just wrong :p:

:toofunny:
Craghyrax
Nobody's told me who my parents are yet :hmpf: And I'm prob two years older than them, which is just wrong :p:

My daughter's older than me. ;yes;

Latest

Trending

Trending