Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lingolicious)
    Wait the gowns are specific to colleges? Because I was just intending on bringing my dad's old one, cheaper that way especially if Sidney's is expensive. So would a 40 year old Oxford gown not do then?!
    There seem to be several different designs which the colleges use, your Dad's old gown may either not be allowed or it could presumably stand out like a sore thumb. That said, gowns are still fairly cheap though aren't they? I thought they were only around £40?

ReputationRep:
    yeah the ones for downing are like £44

ReputationRep:
    I wiki'd it the other day..
    Ended up looking at this..Gown guide

ReputationRep:
    yup it's one of the (many) ways Cambridge is better than Oxford :p: - our distinct gowns are way cooler than everyone having the same one.

ReputationRep:
    Should we buy our gowns from one of the shops in Cambridge before start term? Or are we 'kitted out' after we arrive?

ReputationRep:
    Lol when someone said the gowns were different I thought they were gonna be different colours or something, rather than "this one is 0.2 millimetres shorter on the right sleeve" etc. Haha I feel so ignorant. Can anyone tell the difference in real life?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Athena)

The Dark Side are debating this as well. Here's our guide.
    *Feels a desire to write a guide that's superior* :p:

Wait the gowns are specific to colleges? Because I was just intending on bringing my dad's old one, cheaper that way especially if Sidney's is expensive. So would a 40 year old Oxford gown not do then?!
    Yes, gowns are specific to colleges- unless you're at Kings Your college union will probably sell them second hand for about £20 when you arrive, or you can go to Ryder and Amies or Ede and Ravenscroft and pay a lot more than that for the same product!

Lol when someone said the gowns were different I thought they were gonna be different colours or something, rather than "this one is 0.2 millimetres shorter on the right sleeve" etc. Haha I feel so ignorant. Can anyone tell the difference in real life?
    Yes, for several colleges the sleeves differ- for example, Clare's gown has three velvet chevrons on the arms as part of the crest. Some you can tell apart instantly- like Trinity's gowns, which are a dark blue rather than black.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Athena)

The Dark Side are debating this as well. Here's our guide.

Aww, can't we be the Dark Side? The Jedi are just so....naff.

Oh and does anyone have pictures of people wearing the gowns, at formal hall maybe? I just want to gauge how they look...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 3232)
    Aww, can't we be the Dark Side? The Jedi are just so....naff.

Oh and does anyone have pictures of people wearing the gowns, at formal hall maybe? I just want to gauge how they look...
    just google image for cambridge formal halls (or just cambridge gowns). That will do.

It's not suprising how they look....they're just black cloth things that go down to about your knees. Just keep in mind they're not like the Oxford cloth things though (subfusc of whatever they call it), they're more like the Oxford scholars gowns.

ReputationRep:
    AHA! Knew I had it somewhere.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/atta...3&d=1154125541

ReputationRep:
    Bloody hell, i have a lot to buy! I have a feeling i'm going to be running around Cambridge on the 29th like a headless chicken looking for lube and Parma Ham, so much hassle...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 3232)
    Bloody hell, i have a lot to buy! I have a feeling i'm going to be running around Cambridge on the 29th like a headless chicken looking for lube and Parma Ham, so much hassle...
    If you mean lube in the sexual sense, you'll probably get some free in your fresher's pack from CUSU- otherwise, try Boots, Superdrug, or your college nurse. Halfords should fulfil all the rest of your lubrication requirements- or all, if you'd rather have WD40 than Durex "Play"... Parma ham, hmm... you can probably buy it in Sainsbury's, else try the market or the Waitrose in teh west of town.

</tongue in cheek>

ReputationRep:
    'The University specifies only that undergraduates' gowns reach to the knees' From http://www.societies.cam.ac.uk/cuhags/gowns/gowns.htm

Mine reaches halfway down my shins at least. Sidney's have soup sleeves (ie holes in the sides of the sleeves which are very useful when eating), and chevrons. I think I paid £57 for mine, two years ago.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FadeToBlackout)
    . you can probably buy it in Sainsbury's, else try the market or the Waitrose in teh west of town.
    There's a Waitrose?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eye)
    There's a Waitrose?
    Seconded! I love Waitrose, and was seriously depressed when my mum said there wasn't one in Cam. Does this mean I can get my monthly copy of Waitrose Good Food magazine after all?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FadeToBlackout)
    AHA! Knew I had it somewhere.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/atta...3&d=1154125541
    the repeat mispelling of 'of' infuriates me.

ReputationRep:
    Also, I wondered; is it considered a bit sad to wear the Cambridge/College t-shirts and jumpers and stuff...I was thinking about buying one, but I wasn't sure how it would go down when actually walking around the town!
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Demoskratos7)
    Also, I wondered; is it considered a bit sad to wear the Cambridge/College t-shirts and jumpers and stuff...I was thinking about buying one, but I wasn't sure how it would go down when actually walking around the town!
    Well, I think it is, and I've only ever been to Cambridge twice. But then I think most branded stuff is about as fashionable as vomit. I'm fussy. :p:

ReputationRep:
    Cambridge stuff is for tourists really. College stuff is the way to go, and no one seems to care if you wear it. Anyone who does is, well, a bit common. Flat caps and all

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Demoskratos7)
    why would you WANT to wear that?

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.