Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    It depends on the college. My ex (girton) brought up his own duvet and pillow, but I've never had to. At newnham we get supplied with duvets, pillows, sheets, duvet/pillow covers and towels. No idea about kings..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thefish_uk)
    They're nice people, they just wear their boatie jackets to dinner as if they are trying to show off for being a boatie.
    Or as if they've just got back from an outing and didn't have time to change?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Athena)

I live in my trampolining club stash
    Wow, a tent-sized hoodie :p: Either you're slimmer and smaller than I thought, or your stash is HOOOOGE

Re: bedlinen at Clare, you get supplied with a pillow and duvet, and a chushioned mattress protector, and have to supply your own covers for them. I bought a thin lightweight summer duvet for summer and extra winter warmth (though I didn't need it), an extra padded mattress thing for extra comfort, and a couple of pillows so I could sit up in bed and be comfy, along with a couple of sheets and duvet covers.

Simple fitted sheets are about £2 in Tesco, so you could buy several and always have a clean bed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by generalebriety)
    Yeah, I'm gonna presume they don't expect you to take your bed.
    darrrrn! i should've posted this before i took the whole thing apart!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cooldudess)
    darrrrn! i should've posted this before i took the whole thing apart!
    :rofl: You might as well bring it with you now lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cooldudess)
    pleeease tell me the rooms come with pillows and duvets and that all we have to come with are pillow cases and duvet covers!
    oh and are we allowed mini-fridges, kettles etc in our rooms? i'm goin to kings if that makes a difference...
    My room (at Emmanuel) already has a mini-fridge apparently. Result.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FadeToBlackout)
    Re: bedlinen at Clare, you get supplied with a pillow and duvet, and a chushioned mattress protector, and have to supply your own covers for them. I bought a thin lightweight summer duvet for summer and extra winter warmth (though I didn't need it), an extra padded mattress thing for extra comfort, and a couple of pillows so I could sit up in bed and be comfy, along with a couple of sheets and duvet covers.
    I like you. You are useful.

My college dad found me on facebook. Yay! I am un-orphaned (adopted?).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by generalebriety)
    Yeah, I'm gonna presume they don't expect you to take your bed.
    At Selwyn you can hire duvet and pillows and stuff, but you do need to tell them that you intend to do this (I think there's something about it in the freshers' pack that you'll get soon in the post). A lot of people take their own because they assume it will be more comfy, but college bedding was fine when I've had it.

ReputationRep:
    Right, just thought of a couple more questions.

Firstly, i'm a little concerned about the bed situation. I'm 6'4 and am a bit worried that i'm going to spend the next 3 years with my ankles hanging off my bed, are there any other tall people here, and if so, how do you cope? Are there different sized beds available or is it a like it or lump it situation?

Secondly, and this is one for the geeks, I have a wireless ADSL modem, can i hook up wireless internet in my room at Cam?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Apagg)

Maybe Robinson boaties aren't very nice people
    :mad: Robinson boaties are lovely!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 3232)

Firstly, i'm a little concerned about the bed situation. I'm 6'4 and am a bit worried that i'm going to spend the next 3 years with my ankles hanging off my bed, are there any other tall people here, and if so, how do you cope? Are there different sized beds available or is it a like it or lump it situation?

Secondly, and this is one for the geeks, I have a wireless ADSL modem, can i hook up wireless internet in my room at Cam?
    Can't speak for other colleges, but John''s provides extra-long beds for people who really need them.

And whether your college has a Wifi network (which is accessible to students) or not is what you need to find out - there's no Uni-wide consesus. Most don't, as far as I know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 3232)
    if you want a wireless set up in your room, you either use your colleges wireless network if it has one....otherwise you will need to get a wireless access point to hook in to your ethernet connection in your room. Your wireless ADSL modem may be able to function as one but you'll have to check the details.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 3232)
    I'm not *that* tall but I quite like my ankles hanging off the end of my bed :confused: Otherwise when you're lying on your front there'd be nowhere for your feet to go and you'd have to twist them round 90 degrees.

Just me? Okay...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 3232)

I know someone who is 6'9 and as far as I know, College provided him with a special bed. They got it stuck moving it to his room last year on a narrow spiral-ish stair case.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stick Man)
    I'm not *that* tall but I quite like my ankles hanging off the end of my bed :confused: Otherwise when you're lying on your front there'd be nowhere for your feet to go and you'd have to twist them round 90 degrees.

Just me? Okay...

Yeah, pretty much. Hardly anyone sleeps on their front...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 3232)

It's worth asking I suppose. My ex was 6'3 and I don't think he ever had a problem really, but maybe he was less fussed about it than you. Guess it's personal preference.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 3232)
    Geek-speak alert!

The ADSL bit won't work, as if your room has a telephone socket as well as a network point it'll be to the college switchboard and not straight to the outside.

Besides, you don't need it as you will get a network socket which will give you internet access. And college would not like you setting up your own wireless access point - I'm pretty sure it's against the conditions of use of the university network, too. At my college computers have to be approved one by one for connection to make sure they have antivirus, automatic Windows Update enabled etc - This all happens in the first few days of each Mich term. And it's done by MAC (hardware) address so there is no way you could connect a router and expect it to work, without them approving it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thefish_uk)
    Geek-speak alert!

The ADSL bit won't work, as if your room has a telephone socket as well as a network point it'll be to the college switchboard and not straight to the outside.

Besides, you don't need it as you will get a network socket which will give you internet access. And college would not like you setting up your own wireless access point - I'm pretty sure it's against the conditions of use of the university network, too. At my college computers have to be approved one by one for connection to make sure they have antivirus, automatic Windows Update enabled etc - This all happens in the first few days of each Mich term. And it's done by MAC (hardware) address so there is no way you could connect a router and expect it to work, without them approving it.
    Hang on...they go through our computers?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 3232)

Yeah you'll probably hang off the end of the bed, but don't worry you can sleep on my floor. I manage to get myself and 6'+ guys in my bed so you probably won't be too uncomfy just on your own.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 3232)
    Hang on...they go through our computers?
    Different colleges yadda yadda etc. At Clare you just sign a form saying you've got a decent antivirus. You're provided with a University Computing Service CD that shows you how to make Windows secure (by running a custom programme) and that also contains a full copy of McAfee. Nice to know.

And college would not like you setting up your own wireless access point - I'm pretty sure it's against the conditions of use of the university network, too
    But you can at Clare. ;yes; You can set up your own wireless router, as long as you talk to the computer officers first.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.