Turn on thread page Beta
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Anyone know about the internet situation at Selwyn?

ReputationRep:
    Random question, but are there aerial sockets for tv's in the rooms? i'm going to sidney if it makes any difference....

just deciding whether to bring my tv or not- no point if it's not going to work!

thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bluecat)
    Random question, but are there aerial sockets for tv's in the rooms? i'm going to sidney if it makes any difference....

just deciding whether to bring my tv or not- no point if it's not going to work!

thanks!
    Unlikely, I would think. I considered myself extremely lucky to have a socket in my final year room (at John's) - and even that didn't give a usable digital reception.

Perhaps ask in the Sidney thread for definite confirmation?

ReputationRep:
    I think it's unlikely. You can use portable aerials though. You'll almost certainly get threatening letters from the TV licensing company (they're actually now apparently sending their inspectors to our house, but I'll believe it when I see it) but I don't know of anyone who actually got caught.

[disclaimer]I don't actually have a TV so am not doing anything illegal - but I've already told them this and they have continued to threaten us, so if they want to waste their time and money coming round to inspect us, I'm going to let them. [/disclaimer]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    I think it's unlikely. You can use portable aerials though. You'll almost certainly get threatening letters from the TV licensing company (they're actually now apparently sending their inspectors to our house, but I'll believe it when I see it) but I don't know of anyone who actually got caught.

[disclaimer]I don't actually have a TV so am not doing anything illegal - but I've already told them this and they have continued to threaten us, so if they want to waste their time and money coming round to inspect us, I'm going to let them. [/disclaimer]
    I received my TV licence last year with a threatening letter for someone who moved out three years ago demanding that they renew the house's TV licence. Plus I believe you can refuse them access to the house if you're not the person being investigated...I found it easier to pay £120 or so, but I was working.

ReputationRep:
    portable tvs come under your parents licence ;yes; they have to be battery powered tho.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kyle_S-C)
    I received my TV licence last year with a threatening letter for someone who moved out three years ago demanding that they renew the house's TV licence. Plus I believe you can refuse them access to the house if you're not the person being investigated...I found it easier to pay £120 or so, but I was working.
    It would be easier, but I don't owe them £120, so I'm not going to. The hassle is all theirs at the moment.

ReputationRep:
    I understand that It'll vary from College to College, but what (average) speed is the internet? Quite sluggish or relatively fast? I ask because I couldn't live without streamed Radio 4 and I'm Sorry I havn't a Clue.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Catsmeat)
    I understand that It'll vary from College to College, but what (average) speed is the internet? Quite sluggish or relatively fast? I ask because I couldn't live without streamed Radio 4 and I'm Sorry I havn't a Clue.
    In my experience (John's), usually ridiculously fast, certainly compared to what you're likely to be used to at home - though some colleges are quite strict with monitoring illegal activity and filesharing. I think one speed test I ran gave ~32,000kb/s (hopefully I've remembered the units right) - you can (potentially) download an entire CD's worth of data in about a minute :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by generalebriety)
    Anyone know about the internet situation at Selwyn?
    Every room has internet access, if you want to use it you have to pay something like £28 quid a term. If you aren't bothered about internet in your room (though judging by how much you're on TSR, you probably are ) there are several computer rooms in the college that you can use for free.
    If I remember correctly, there's a lot of info about internet access in the freshers' pack

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)

That's SO annoying. We don't have a TV in my house, never have done (for the past 19 years, at the very least), and almost certainly never will, but we still get those stupid letters. It's gotten to the point where they're slightly apologetic but still want to check on the offchance we might have bought a TV recently. I suppose it's hard for some to imagine that there might be better things to do with one's time... like read. :rolleyes:

Needless to say I won't be buying a Tv or purchasing a licence come term time. :p:

ReputationRep:
    Nope, Sidney doesn't have TV aerial sockets. I've had TV lisence letters, despite having never had a TV at uni. We've got a TV room, so if you feel the need to watch scheduled telly (ie Neighbours) as opposed to DVD boxsets or whatever, you can go there. And room on R, which doesn't have an aerial so isn't watchable, but does have a DVD and video player and lots of sofas.

ReputationRep:
    oh bummer. Mind you, I always knew it was a bit of a long shot!

good to see i will be able to keep up with my daily neighbours dose anyway...

ReputationRep:
    I've managed to get 2 megs a second on the network connection before (at 5am, mind)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by faik_kheft)
    Every room has internet access, if you want to use it you have to pay something like £28 quid a term. If you aren't bothered about internet in your room (though judging by how much you're on TSR, you probably are ) there are several computer rooms in the college that you can use for free.
    If I remember correctly, there's a lot of info about internet access in the freshers' pack
    and selwyn's great cos you can get unlimited internal bandwidth between 2am and 7am

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Joanna*)
    Nope, Sidney doesn't have TV aerial sockets. I've had TV lisence letters, despite having never had a TV at uni. We've got a TV room, so if you feel the need to watch scheduled telly (ie Neighbours) as opposed to DVD boxsets or whatever, you can go there. And room on R, which doesn't have an aerial so isn't watchable, but does have a DVD and video player and lots of sofas.

alternatively, you could buy a tv card (around 30-40 quid) or bring a small free stand antennae (how retro...)

ReputationRep:
    nearly all of my friends have Cambridge hoodies, it's not just a tourist thing. lots of people will also buy their college scarf, a college hoody and general stash.
    unfortunately Waitrose is a bit out of the centre of town so its not practical for regular shopping, but I always pop in there on the day i come back for the start of term so my parents can buy me lots of yummy stuff.]
    don't worry about not bringing everything with you, you can always buy things when you get here, the little Sainsburys in the centre of town will have loads of useful stuff for the new little freshers...i got my bargainous iron and clothes airer there.
    Girls - for our matric photo the dress code was black trousers/skirt with a blouse, it will vary from college to college but im sure that this was pretty standard. bring your school tie if you have one for 'back-to-school' bops, a good warm winter coat, bike can come in handy (plus puncture repair kit and pump), don't forget smart shoes for formal occasions.

ReputationRep:
    also, re: gowns. if your college hasen't aleady contacted you about gowns, you could phone them up to see what the usual procedure is to get one. if you don't get one in time, you could always borrow one from your college parent, as they are one size fits all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tarka)
    unfortunately Waitrose is a bit out of the centre of town so its not practical for regular shopping, but I always pop in there on the day i come back for the start of term so my parents can buy me lots of yummy stuff.]
    I'm sure I can find a way. :p: Will definitely take my parents there when we arrive. Also, does anybody know if any of the shops in Cambridge sell Polish food at all? Fruit juices, chocolate, meats, pickles, POLISH BREAD!!, basic cooking ingredients etc. Or is that something I'll have to persuade my parents to bring every time they visit?

(Original post by tarka)
    if you don't get one in time, you could always borrow one from your college parent, as they are one size fits all.
    Really? Even for really, really short people? I have a feeling mine will swamp me when I get it...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lidka)
    I'm sure I can find a way. :p: Will definitely take my parents there when we arrive. Also, does anybody know if any of the shops in Cambridge sell Polish food at all? Fruit juices, chocolate, meats, pickles, POLISH BREAD!!, basic cooking ingredients etc. Or is that something I'll have to persuade my parents to bring every time they visit?
    There's a couple of stalls on the market (which is open every day!) that sell Polish meats, there's a bread stall, and some others.

Really? Even for really, really short people? I have a feeling mine will swamp me when I get it...
    You may have a little bit of a problem, I'm afraid to say. The standard gowns aren't tailored to fit everyone- mine reaches my knees, on my gf it touches the floor! Edit: slight exageratation

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.