Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tarka)
    don't worry about not bringing everything with you, you can always buy things when you get here, the little Sainsburys in the centre of town will have loads of useful stuff for the new little freshers...i got my bargainous iron and clothes airer there.
    Having said that, I really wouldn't go to Sainsbury's on the weekend of the 30th/1st when most freshers arrive as it'll be jam packed. As I mentioned, go with your parents to the Bar Hill Tesco, where you'll havea MUCH bigger selection of stuff, generally cheaper. Or you could wait until the Monday, I suppose... it's just that the Sainsbury's has several thousand students- plus parents etc.- converging on it within the space of two days!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FadeToBlackout)
    There's a couple of stalls on the market (which is open every day!) that sell Polish meats, there's a bread stall, and some others.

You may have a little bit of a problem, I'm afraid to say. The standard gowns aren't tailored to fit everyone- mine reaches my knees, on my gf it touches the floor! Edit: slight exageratation
    Fab! That's perfect. I like the Cambridge market. Where I live we have (apparently) the biggest market in Europe and it's just so much more fun than shopping in the supermarket, not to mention cheaper and better for the environment etc.

Um, would Clare get stroppy if I tried to, er, edit my gown somewhat? I can just imagine there being some college rule that prohibits you from altering your gown in any way. It's just that I'm five foot, and it'd be really nice to go through three years of formals and stuff not feeling like a dwarf!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lidka)
    Fab! That's perfect. I like the Cambridge market. Where I live we have (apparently) the biggest market in Europe and it's just so much more fun than shopping in the supermarket, not to mention cheaper and better for the environment etc.

Um, would Clare get stroppy if I tried to, er, edit my gown somewhat? I can just imagine there being some college rule that prohibits you from altering your gown in any way. It's just that I'm five foot, and it'd be really nice to go through three years of formals and stuff not feeling like a dwarf!
    You really won't get into troube for it! You could just re-hem it so it's better.

Having said that, I'm only 5'6" and it's to my knees, and my gf is 5' and has no problems. You probably shouldn't need to worry about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FadeToBlackout)
    Having said that, I'm only 5'6" and it's to my knees, and my gf is 5' and has no problems. You probably shouldn't need to worry about it.
    Oh god, it's going to look like a really baggy T-Shirt on me...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 3232)
    You can get bigger ones made, but it'd cost.

ReputationRep:
    If my gown's too long, 3232, you can stick the bits I chop off mine onto yours to make it longer... :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 3232)
    Perhaps gown length varies from college to college, but I know a few guys over 6ft 6 who seem fine in theirs.

ReputationRep:
    im 5ft 1 and mine hangs just below my knees, whereas on some rather tall people its more like a slightly too long and baggy suit jacket. they really are fine on almost anyone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 3232)
    Hang on...they go through our computers?
    At my college, last year at least, you had to run a really nasty CD which ran Windows Update, made sure Windows Firewall was enabled and other relatively harmless things, then ran the Sophos Antivirus installer which in turn insisted on uninstalling my current antivirus. Then, rather hilariously, the program (running off the CD) attempted to eject the CD drive whilst it was still running, causing it to crash. On everybody's computer. Without fail.

I was rather pissed off at this last year as I'd bought my own antivirus program especially for uni which is probably better than Sophos. One of the reasons I decided to be a "Student Computer Officer" this coming year, so hopefully I can get some influence with whoever in college made the CD.

Once the CD had run they looked through my start menu to make sure I didn't have Kazaa installed then approved my computer through their own web interface.

ReputationRep:
    Will all colleges give you free anti-virus stuff?

ReputationRep:
    No

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Apagg)
    No
    Actually, the University itself provides a license for McAfee Enterprise anti-virus, so you get free anti-virus software regardless of college
    Some (most?) require that you run it, which is a little annoying if you've already got your own itstalled, as you have to remove it to avoid software conflicts.

ReputationRep:
    Forgot the link: http://www-tus.csx.cam.ac.uk/virus/who.html

ReputationRep:
    Oh...I must've forgotten if they mentioned it to us

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thefish_uk)
    At my college, last year at least, you had to run a really nasty CD which ran Windows Update, made sure Windows Firewall was enabled and other relatively harmless things, then ran the Sophos Antivirus installer which in turn insisted on uninstalling my current antivirus. Then, rather hilariously, the program (running off the CD) attempted to eject the CD drive whilst it was still running, causing it to crash. On everybody's computer. Without fail.

I was rather pissed off at this last year as I'd bought my own antivirus program especially for uni which is probably better than Sophos. One of the reasons I decided to be a "Student Computer Officer" this coming year, so hopefully I can get some influence with whoever in college made the CD.

Once the CD had run they looked through my start menu to make sure I didn't have Kazaa installed then approved my computer through their own web interface.
    That sounds like a complete nightmare (and a bit of an invasion of privacy). I already have Windows update on and have AVG installed as my anti-virus. I don't have Kazaa, but i have got uTorrent (as well as 4oD and BBC iPlayer, which contain P2P software), is this gonna be a load of hassle to get my laptop approved?

ReputationRep:
    i'm sure they don't expect everyone to have perfectly clean hard drives..

i'm REALLY hoping i can get all this stuff (moving in, setting up internet, food..) sorted out in the week i'm there before freshers', and getting increasingly thankful for it!
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Chewwy)
    i'm sure they don't expect everyone to have perfectly clean hard drives..

i'm REALLY hoping i can get all this stuff (moving in, setting up internet, food..) sorted out in the week i'm there before freshers', and getting increasingly thankful for it!
    Damn you. Damn you to hell.

Sigh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 3232)
    That sounds like a complete nightmare (and a bit of an invasion of privacy).
    Not really, they don't force you at gun point to conect to their network, if you want to use it you have to play by their rules. If you don't like it, don't use it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 3232)
    That sounds like a complete nightmare (and a bit of an invasion of privacy). I already have Windows update on and have AVG installed as my anti-virus. I don't have Kazaa, but i have got uTorrent (as well as 4oD and BBC iPlayer, which contain P2P software), is this gonna be a load of hassle to get my laptop approved?
    If it's the same CD I had to use (I think it might be a uni-wide disc), you should be okay with uTorrent, at least - I had that (or possibly Azureus at that point - can't remember exactly when I switched) installed when running the CD. You are liklely to have to uninstall, or at the very least disable, AVG to install McAfee.

This page describes the CD I was given - you can even download an ISO image of it it you've got your RAVEN ID: http://www-tus.csx.cam.ac.uk/virus/securitycdnotes.html

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by puppy)
    Not really, they don't force you at gun point to conect to their network, if you want to use it you have to play by their rules. If you don't like it, don't use it.

Yeah, but that's not really an option is it? I'm just not really keen on them installing programs onto my laptop, especially with having Vista where it probably either won't install or it'll be buggy as hell. [/geek]

Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.