Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Does this sound okay for my introduction. I'm not very good at writing essays and I would like to do well.

How does Fitzgerald emphasis the isolation and loneliness of Gatsby?Within The Great Gatsby, the readers are forced to fall in favour with the protagonist character of J.B Gatsby. Fitzgerald’s choice of language suggests that Gatsby’s outcast persona was the main theme of the novella; One of the main techniques Fitzgerald used was, to set the scene and then describe how Gatsby differed from those around him. “When the ‘Jazz History of the World’ was over girls were putting their heads on men’s shoulders in a puppyish, convivial way” Fitzgerald paints an appealing, jubilant scene but then cuts the scene with a hyphen, stating “but no one swooned back on Gatsby” Making the audience feel forlorn.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Megganxox)
    Does this sound okay for my introduction. I'm not very good at writing essays and I would like to do well.

How does Fitzgerald emphasise the isolation and loneliness of Gatsby?

Within The Great Gatsby, the readers are forced to fall in favour with the protagonist character of J.B Gatsby. Fitzgerald’s choice of language suggests that Gatsby’s outcast persona was the main theme of the novella; One of the main techniques Fitzgerald used was, to set the scene and then describe how Gatsby differed from those around him. “When the ‘Jazz History of the World’ was over girls were putting their heads on men’s shoulders in a puppyish, convivial way” Fitzgerald paints an appealing, jubilant scene but then cuts the scene with a hyphen, stating “but no one swooned back on Gatsby” Making the audience feel forlorn.
    I studied Gatsby, hopefully this will help.
    1. I wouldnt say the readers are "forced" as it's actually subjective. a lot of people don't like gatsby.

2. "F. Scott Fitzgerald’s diction in ‘The Great Gatsby’ contributes to Gatsby’s character as an outsider, as he is often contrasted against the people and setting around him. In this way, Fitzgerald paints a likeable and relatable picture of Gatsby, for example, while “girls were putting their heads on men’s shoulders in a puppyish, convivial way”, Fitzgerald uses a hyphen to harshly contrast this pleasant scene with “but no-one swooned back on Gatsby”, thus evoking pathos in the reader with Gatsby's loneliness."

3. the quotation was a bit long so i cut it down

4. don't use "audience" there is no audience, just readers

5. no need to say J.B. Gatsby, you don't lose marks for not including the "J.b." it just sounds a bit cluttered

6. instead of saying the audience fall in favour/feel forlorn, i have explained how fitzgerald paints the likeable picture and evokes pathos in the reader so it's more related to the essay question.

do not feel the need to use my words! i have done this in about 5 minutes! everyone has their own unique writing style so if you like your own, keep it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dnr_23)
    I studied Gatsby, hopefully this will help.
    1. I wouldnt say the readers are "forced" as it's actually subjective. a lot of people don't like gatsby.

2. "F. Scott Fitzgerald’s diction in ‘The Great Gatsby’ contributes to Gatsby’s character as an outsider, as he is often contrasted against the people and setting around him. In this way, Fitzgerald paints a likeable and relatable picture of Gatsby, for example, while “girls were putting their heads on men’s shoulders in a puppyish, convivial way”, Fitzgerald uses a hyphen to harshly contrast this pleasant scene with “but no-one swooned back on Gatsby”, thus evoking pathos in the reader with Gatsby's loneliness."

3. the quotation was a bit long so i cut it down

4. don't use "audience" there is no audience, just readers

5. no need to say J.B. Gatsby, you don't lose marks for not including the "J.b." it just sounds a bit cluttered

6. instead of saying the audience fall in favour/feel forlorn, i have explained how fitzgerald paints the likeable picture and evokes pathos in the reader so it's more related to the essay question.

do not feel the need to use my words! i have done this in about 5 minutes! everyone has their own unique writing style so if you like your own, keep it!
    5 minutes!? Mine took me like 20! 😬 Haha that's really good, thank you for the help.

How would you subject structuring the essay for example, how many paragraphs and what they should include, that is the main part of English Liturature that I struggle with. Thank you by the way

Also, what did you get at A-level?

ReputationRep:
    5 minutes!? Mine took me like 20! 😬 Haha that's really good, thank you for the help.

How would you subject structuring the essay for example, how many paragraphs and what they should include, that is the main part of English Liturature that I struggle with. Thank you by the way

How does Fitzgerald emphasise the isolation and loneliness of Gatsby?

Firstly i would take a good look at the question. The essay must explain in what ways fitzgerald shows gatsby is isolated and lonely. I don't remember Gatsby that well tbh but i would brainstorm all the ways i see his loneliness is emphasised:
    1. the eventual collapse of his dream of daisy e.g. that moment when he knew if he kissed her, his dream of her would be over. thats when he realised that he loved the chase rather than the catch because his perception of daisy was much greater than what she actually is
    2. gatsby being an outsider during his OWN magnificent parties, because he is only doing it for Daisy/not connecting with his guests. and he is isolated when he realises Daisy thinks his parties are trashy.
    3. his loss of identity: from gatz to gatsby, poor to new money, he "sprang from his platonic conception of himself" i.e. he invented himself. he had to disconnect himself from his family etc etc --> you can link this with some context on the american dream and how despite going from rags to riches, he can never been in with the old money crowd and therefore will always be distant from daisy => isolated
    4. pretty sure nobody turned up to his funeral except his dad and nick? talk about loneliness...

hmm well i can only think of 4 points, so i would have 4 paragraphs about this 4 points. i would find 2 or 3 quotes/moments in the novel to back up these topics, as well as at least 1 contextual point e.g. american dream/ new vs old money/ roaring 20s etc. remember that you want to write an essay so that each sentence will gain you marks, do not use unnecessary words, short sentences are sometimes better than long ones!!

so yeah, dont just look at the question and think "im going to write 3 paragraphs", just list as many key answers to the question.

for this question in particular, you are being asked HOW fitzgerald emphasises the loneliness, so make sure include literary terms such as metaphors, similies, irony, juxtapositioning etc so that you are answering the question fully!

ReputationRep:

forgot to answer this, I'm doing the A2 this year but in AS i got an A overall with an A for the paper including Gatsby

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  2. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. Bishop Grosseteste University
    All Courses Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.