The Student Room Group

Any advice on which degree to pick?

Hi,

I know it's really late to ask this, but I've finished a personal statement for law and criminology which I've given in to school so they can check. However, I've been looking at an English language and linguistics course which looks really good. My personal statement would be the same near enough, the middle paragraphs are the same as both courses lead to forensic linguistics. I can get the statement checked by someone who isn't school, a teacher has checked it.

Any advice on what to do? I know it's a bit late as people have sent applications!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by littlemix012
Hi,

I know it's really late to ask this, but I've finished a personal statement for law and criminology which I've given in to school so they can check. However, I've been looking at an English language and linguistics course which looks really good. My personal statement would be the same near enough, the middle paragraphs are the same as both courses lead to forensic linguistics. I can get the statement checked by someone who isn't school, a teacher has checked it.

Any advice on what to do? I know it's a bit late as people have sent applications!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Honestly, it depends on what you want to do in your life and your other course choices. If your other course choices are for law and criminology than I would stick with that degree. Don't worry you still have time, equal consideration is guaranteed if you submit before January 15th. Please think carefully before making a decision because you do not want to regret it this time next year.
Original post by wolfmoon88
Honestly, it depends on what you want to do in your life and your other course choices. If your other course choices are for law and criminology than I would stick with that degree. Don't worry you still have time, equal consideration is guaranteed if you submit before January 15th. Please think carefully before making a decision because you do not want to regret it this time next year.

Both English language and linguistics and law and criminology lead to forensic linguistics

Posted from TSR Mobile
Both English language and linguistics and law and criminology lead to forensic linguistics

Posted from TSR Mobile

I would go look at the specific modules of your chosen courses. Ask yourself, if you would enjoy studying these modules for 3 years. If they lead to the same career then that's cool. Focus on which course will intellectually stimulate and you will enjoy the most.
I would go look at the specific modules of your chosen courses. Ask yourself, if you would enjoy studying these modules for 3 years. If they lead to the same career then that's cool. Focus on which course will intellectually stimulate and you will enjoy the most.

Thanks for the advice! Another factor influencing my decision is the fact that a law and criminology 'looks better' than a degree in English language and linguistics

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks for the advice! Another factor influencing my decision is the fact that a law and criminology 'looks better' than a degree in English language and linguistics

Posted from TSR Mobile

Perhaps it might look better, but will you enjoy studying it? depends on which university you go to for English language and linguistics may not look that bad but yeah I get what you mean. Good luck on your applications :smile:
Perhaps it might look better, but will you enjoy studying it? depends on which university you go to for English language and linguistics may not look that bad but yeah I get what you mean. Good luck on your applications :smile:

I have to apply through school and they've got my personal statement for law and criminology and they're checking it. Feels a bit weird if I tell them I've changed my mind, even though I'm still confused at the minute

Posted from TSR Mobile
Do Gender Studies :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I have to apply through school and they've got my personal statement for law and criminology and they're checking it. Feels a bit weird if I tell them I've changed my mind, even though I'm still confused at the minute

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's ok, I changed my mind about the course I wanted to apply to 2 weeks before I submitted :smile: I am sure they will understand if you still need some time to think
Reply 9

Posted from TSR Mobile

You have until 15th Jan. There's no rush. Think through what you want to do and tell your school you are reconsidering.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
You have until 15th Jan. There's no rush. Think through what you want to do and tell your school you are reconsidering.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have to apply through school so I've logged into UCAS just now. My computer froze and when it went back to normal it said my application has been sent to school! Am I able to get it sent back to me?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm applying through school. Just logged into UCAS and my application has been sent to school entirely by accident! Panicking like mad but haven't paid the fee yet!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
I'm applying through school. Just logged into UCAS and my application has been sent to school entirely by accident! Panicking like mad but haven't paid the fee yet!

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you haven't paid then it isn't going anywhere. Speak to your school on Monday.

Relax :smile:
Original post by jneill
If you haven't paid then it isn't going anywhere. Speak to your school on Monday.

Relax :smile:

I'll try to haha! Is it my referee I'd speak to?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
I'll try to haha! Is it my referee I'd speak to?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes.
Original post by jneill
Yes.

Okay. Thanks for helping me realise that without me paying my application isn't getting sent off!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending