The Student Room Group

Guidance with the new English specification (9-1) [AQA] [WIP]

As I see many people posting about struggling with the new specification for English Literature and English Language, I decided to make a post with some advice, as well as some clarification on what has changed.

Format of the exams - English Literature
AQA

expand

Edexcel

expand

Format of the exams - English Language

expand

Structure of answers

expand

Structuring your points

expand

General advice

expand

Specific Guidance for English Literature

expand

Specific Guidance for English Language

expand

FAQ

expand

Grades

expand

(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Thank you so much for this information

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
You are a legend.
Great detailed overview with great advice! We've done a language paper 1 mock and (currently waiting for result) and our December English mock is on language paper 2. Personally, Language is the side of English I struggle with more so thanks for the advice on that paper!
Original post by Naomeyz_01
Thank you so much for this information

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by RaptorStar
Thanks

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Original post by Eman Khurram
You are a legend.

I'm glad you all found it useful!

Original post by brownanya122
Great detailed overview with great advice! We've done a language paper 1 mock and (currently waiting for result) and our December English mock is on language paper 2. Personally, Language is the side of English I struggle with more so thanks for the advice on that paper!

I may go into more detail with English Language, but I'm unsure how much the questions will vary from year to year, since it's not like EngLit, where the texts remain the same.
Great post. I would like to emphasise how important it is to make reference to the rest of the text in both questions in Paper 1. AQA said that if they if a candidate doesn't reference the rest of the text and solely talks about the extract, they cannot get above a band 3 (11-15 marks). It's very easy under exam conditions to completely forget to mention the rest of the text. Make sure that you either make a completely new point focused on the rest of the text or you integrate details from the rest of the text into your points.
Er mah gerd, it's amazing. Wish I could rep you.
Original post by BobBobson
Great post. I would like to emphasise how important it is to make reference to the rest of the text in both questions in Paper 1. AQA said that if they if a candidate doesn't reference the rest of the text and solely talks about the extract, they cannot get above a band 3 (11-15 marks). It's very easy under exam conditions to completely forget to mention the rest of the text. Make sure that you either make a completely new point focused on the rest of the text or you integrate details from the rest of the text into your points.

I agree, I'll emphasise it in the OP.

This is why I recommend people to include a plan, so they stay focused in this regard.
(edited 7 years ago)
I have updated the OP with specific guidance regarding English Language :smile:
Original post by _gcx
I have updated the OP with specific guidance regarding English Language :smile:

Thankyou! really helpful stuff :smile:
This is so helpful, thank you and are you in year 10 as well? Just wondering as this is well written and structured.
Original post by Stephaniex
This is so helpful, thank you and are you in year 10 as well? Just wondering as this is well written and structured.

no, @_gcx is in year 11 :smile: A great member of our year 11 Skype Group :smile:
Original post by Lemur14
no, @_gcx is in year 11 :smile: A great member of our year 11 Skype Group :smile:

Oh okay, thats cool! What grades have you guys been predicted?

I don't have predictions yet, and I doubt I'll have any until later this month.
Reply 15
This was really helpfulπŸ˜…πŸ˜‚
Anyway on question 5 in the first paper i always struggle.i really dont know how to describe something in details.
Have you got some more tips on how to get started.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by _gcx
I don't have predictions yet, and I doubt I'll have any until later this month.

Oh okay, good luck in advance!

1x 8, 2x7, 5x A, 2x B and a B in level 3 FMSQ. I've also already got 2x A*, 2x A and 1x B :smile: How about you?
Original post by Lemur14
1x 8, 2x7, 5x A, 2x B and a B in level 3 FMSQ. I've also already got 2x A*, 2x A and 1x B :smile: How about you?

4x8s, 2x7s, 1x9 and I cant even remember the rest:^_^:.
4x8s, 2x7s, 1x9 and I cant even remember the rest:^_^:.

I only know mine because I've been applying for sixth forms lol. Those are great predictions :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest