The Student Room Group

Guidance with the new English specification (9-1) [AQA] [WIP]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by _gcx

This post is a work in progress.

As I see many people posting about struggling with the new specification for English Literature and English Language, I decided to make a post with some advice, as well as some clarification on what has changed.

I have only discussed the AQA specification, for now, because I haven't looked into the specifications provided by Edexcel/OCR/WJEC, yet, although I may do that in the future.

Format of the exams - English Literature

English Literature now comprises two exams, one of 64 marks, and one of 96 marks, making 160 marks overall. The first is 105 minutes long (1h45m), the second is 135 minutes long. (2h15m)

Paper 1 is split into two sections:

Section A is a question regarding the Shakespearean play that you have studied. You are to answer one 30 mark question, the one that is relevant to the play that you have studied. This is clearly indicated. You will be given one short extract, and you will be asked a question regarding that extract, and the "text as a whole". As I've said, it's worth 30 marks, and you will receive 4 additional marks for spelling, punctuation, and grammar.

Section B is a question regarding the 19th century text that you have studied. Similar to before, you are given an extract, and you will be asked to answer a question in reference to it, and in reference to the play as a whole. This is also worth 30 marks, but there are no AO4 marks available.

Paper 2 is split into three sections: Section A, Section B and Section C.

Section A is a 30 mark question regarding the modern text/play, that you have studied. 4 marks for spelling, punctuation, and grammar, are available. You are given a choice of 2 questions for your text, and you are to pick only one. You are not given an extract to work from.

Section B is the dreaded "poetry" section. There are two poetry questions to pick from, one for each part of the anthology, "Love and Relationships", and "Power and Conflict". You should, obviously (:P) pick the one relevant to the poems that you have studied. You are given one poem, and you are asked to compare this poem with another within the cluster. You are not given a copy of the anthology to work from, you must recall quotes, context, and general points about form/structure from memory. A bit harsh, I know. This is worth 30 marks.

Section C is the Unseen Poetry section. You are given two unseen poems, and you have two questions to answer. The first question is a 24 marker about one poem. This will likely be discussing the portrayal of a certain concept or theme within a poem. The 8 marker is comparing this poem to a, probably quite similar, poem. There are no spelling, punctuation, and grammar marks available within this section.

This might seem quite scary, but I will try to give a more in-depth guide to each question.

Format of the exams - English Language
English Language is comprised of two exams of equal length, 80 marks and 105 minutes.

For both papers, there are two sections. I will start with paper 1:

You are given a fictional text, likely from a novel or similar. The one used in the Specimen paper is around 43 lines, although the text used for the actual exam may be shorter or longer.

The questions asked may include: a 4 marker, which should be simple comprehension, two 8 marker discussing language and structure, and a 20 mark "how far" question.

The second section may be easier for some. It's creative writing. There are 24 content marks, and 16 accuracy marks, which includes spelling, punctuation, and grammar. You are given a picture, and you are asked to either write a descriptive piece, or the start of a story based around it.

In the second paper, you are presented with 2 non-fiction texts. The questions asked may include:

A 4 mark comprehension question.

An 8 mark question discussing differences

A 12 mark question discussing language

A 16 mark comparison question.

For the second section, you are presented with a statement, and you are to write an argumentative piece regarding your viewpoint.

The questions specified within this section are based off the exam materials that we have at present. They may vary from the actual exam.

Structure of answers
A problem that I have seen in the answers of others, and the problem which I once had with my own answers, is structure. Frequently, people have the right ideas, but they don't communicate it in a way which would pick them up marks. Generally speaking, you should be aiming to cover three core areas:

Context - This is discussion of the circumstances under which the text was written, and relating that to the question. This could be, for example, the portrayal of Lady Macbeth in Macbeth is representative of the way that women were, traditionally, viewed within Shakespeare's time. Of course, you should develop the point more than that, with quotations etc., and relate it to the question

Form and structure - This is equally as important as language. If one calls language, what has been written, you can call form/structure, how it has been written. This may include, for example, line length, stanza length, meter, rhyme scheme, caesuras, perspective shifts, narrative shifts, etc.

Language - This should go without saying, analysis of the language that is used within the text!

Context may not be relevant, always. For example, in Unseen Poetry, you are not expected to know any context to the poem, and you wouldn't get much credit for attempting to do so. In English Language, you are often given context, and you can use that.

Structuring your points
Within an answer, you shouldn't go "over the top" with points. You may wish to do 2 languages points, a structure point, and a context point, or similar. It depends on the detail that you want to go in to. The advice that I can give regarding this, is that: one fully developed point will receive more credit than five vague, undeveloped, single-sentence points. I would recommend structuring your points, like this:

Point - Make your point clearly.

Evidence - Give evidence to support the point. This should be in the form of quotations.

Explain - Develop your point in relation to the question. You should mention named literary techniques, and link them to your point.

Impact - Explain the effect on the reader or viewer. This could something like, "helping the reader to visualise ...", for metaphors, similes, and personification. I absolutely cannot stress how important this is. Even if it's only one or two lines, it will still matter. It will make an impact -- no pun intended.

Context - If relevant, support the point with context.

Link - Evaluate the point, and link it to the question.

With this, you're hitting the assessment objectives consistently, and you're giving the examiners what they're looking for.

Don't go over the board, don't repeat yourself, and whatever you do, don't go line by line. You will undoubtedly run out of time, missing more important points.

General advice

Use a regular structure, as I detailed earlier.

Read the questions extremely carefully. Pick out key points, ie. "describe", "explain", "how?". Read the question entirely, a few times, before you attempt to answer the question. If you miss out a word or two, you may find yourself getting the whole question wrong, and potentially losing all, or most, of the marks offered for the question. This might seem scary, but it's better to be safe than sorry. I have done this before, and I ended up losing around 20 marks over it. If it helps, rewrite the question in your own words.

Do a plan before you attempt to answer the questions. Don't spend too long on it, just jot down a few key points that you aim to hit. If you want, scribble down some relevant quotes to include for each point. This will ensure that your response is focused, and isn't "all over the place".

Practice picking out quotes and key points from texts. Most importantly, practicse and get your teacher to mark your work. Don't get upset if it doesn't go as planned. Note your teachers advice, at all times. While the grade they give you might not be correct, I will talk about that later, the feedback they give you wil be extremely valuable. Far, far, far, far, far, far more valuable than the mark they give you, in fact.

Don't repeat yourself. Only introduce a new point if it's unique. If not, simply add the quotation you were going to use into your previous point.

Provide different viewpoints.

An answer cannot be wrong if it is properly developed and substantiated, and is relevant to the question.

Specific Guidance for English Literature
Paper 1:
Question 1-13

You will be given an extract of variable length.

You will be presented with a question, regarding a theme or a character.

You are to both use the extract provided, and details from the text as a whole.

You should start with the extract.

You should:

Refer to the text as a whole [AO1]

Use precise quotations to support your points, as per my suggested structure earlier. [AO1]

Use subject terminology [AO2]

Explore the impact upon the reader. [AO2]

Present different perspectives, as well as refer to context in your answer. [AO3]

There are 12 AO1 marks available, 12 AO2 marks available, and 6 AO3 marks available.

Paper 2:
Question 1-24

You have an option of two questions for the text you have studied.

One question will be regarding the development, involvement or characteristics of character(s) within the text.

The other question will be regarding the exploration of a theme.

You are not provided with an extract.

You should:

Refer to the text as a whole [AO1] -- this is important. You may be essentially restricting yourself to mark band 3, which is said to be around a grade 4/5, if you forget to do this. Even if it's only one point mentioning the whole text, it's definitely better than nothing.

Use precise quotations to support your points, as per my suggested structure earlier. [AO1]

Explore the impact upon the reader or viewer. [AO2]

Present different perspectives, as well as refer to context in your answer. [AO3]

There are 12 AO1 marks available, 12 AO2 marks available, and 6 AO3 marks available.

Question 25-26

You are presented with one poem from the anthology cluster.

You are given a theme.

You should compare this poem, with another in the cluster, within the bounds of the theme.

You should:

Compare two poems (goes without saying) - you will be very restricted in terms of credit if you don't do this. [AO1]

Use quotations to support points [AO1]

Analyse the writer's techniques, utilising subject terminology [AO2]

Explore effects on the reader [AO2]

Make links within your response to context and the task [AO3]

Question 27.1

For Part 1, you are provided with one poem.

This poem will be completely new to you.

You are to answer a question regarding this poem.

This question is worth 24 marks.

Unfamiliar words will be defined, ie. slang.

You should:

Analyse the writer's techniques with the use of subject terminology [AO2]

Context is not required.

Question 27.2

You are provided with another poem.

This poem should be relate to the first, in some form.

You will be asked to compare how the writers present a common theme.

Only 8 marks are available, and thus I recommend that it should be treated as low-priority.

You should:

Explore the writers use of language, structure and form using subject terminology.

Make comparisons on the effects of the techniques used by the two writers.

Spelling, Punctuation and Grammar

4 marks: Consistently accurate, uses vocabulary and sentences structures to effectively control the meaning of their (the candidate's) writing.

2-3 marks: Considerably accurate, uses vocabulary and sentences structures to control the meaning of their (the candidate's) writing.

1 mark: Reasonably accurate, uses a reasonable range of vocabulary and sentences.

0 marks: Mostly incoherent, or nothing has been written.

Specific Guidance for English Language
Paper 1:

You are presented with a fictitious text.

Question 1

You are asked to pick out 4 points from the text, regarding a quite basic topic, for example, the weather in the extract.

You are not required to explain the points in any detail

You will receive a mark for every correct observation, to a maximum of 4.

Question 2

You are presented with an extract from the text.

You should only reference to this extract.

You should talk about: words and phrases, form and structure and language techniques

You are required to discuss the readers choice of language in relation to a theme. This could be the way in which the author presents the weather.

There are 8 marks available.

You should: [AO2]

Analyse the effects of the writer's choices of language, including sentence forms, techniques etc.

Select a relevant range of quotations/evidence from the text.

Reference to named literary techniques.

Question 3

You are to refer to the whole source.

You are given a question regarding the structure of the extract.

The advice given below the question may vary depending on the text.

8 marks are available.

You should:

Analyse the writer's choice of structural features.

Select appropriate examples to evidence your point.

Use subject terminology.

Question 4

You should focus on the part of the extract specified in the question. You will, however, not be penalised for discussing outside this scope.

You will be presented with a statement, and you will be asked how far you agree.

You will be given several question-dependant hints.

You should:

Evaluate effects on the reader

I would recommend presenting arguments both for and against, although this isn't made clear in the markscheme.

Show an understanding of the writer's techniques.

Use subject terminology.

Select appropriate examples to evidence your point

Maintain a focus on the question. This is important for a large essay question such as this.

Question 5

You will be given a picture or, potentially, a source. It's hard to say, given only one question paper.

You will be asked to either write a description of the picture, or the start of a story based around it.

You will be awarded 16 marks for accuracy, and 24 for content.

You should:

Your form and tone should be suitable to the audience targeted.

Use ambitious vocabulary and structures.

Should match your writing to the purpose required of the question.

Use varied and "inventive" vocabulary.

Structure your piece in a way that is clear.

Ensure your piece flows as intended.

Incorporate a range of "inventive" ideas.

Maintain a consistently accurate sentence structure.

Use a wide range of punctuation where appropriate.

Use standard English unless instructed otherwise.

Ensure that spelling is accurate.

Use an extensive range of vocabulary.

Paper 2:

You are given two pieces of non-fiction text.

Question 1

You may be given a part of the text to focus on.

You will be required to answer a basic comprehension question, possibly a true/false question.

One mark will be awarded for each correct observation, up to a maximum of 4.

Question 2

You will be asked to use two sources.

You are asked to write a summary of the differences between an element of the two texts.

You can receive a maximum of 8 marks.

You should:

Make clear inferences based on both texts.

Use quotes to evidence your point.

Make clear statements discussing the differences (not similarities) of the text.

Question 3

You are asked to refer to one source.

Carefully note which source this is, and I cannot stress that enough. You risk losing all 12 marks available if you talk about the wrong source.

You will be asked a question about the use of language within that source.

You do not need to talk about structure, but you could/should talk about sentence forms.

You should:

Analyse the effects of the writer's choice of language.

Use quotations to evidence/support your points.

Refer to named linguistic features/techniques, and relate these to the question.

Question 4

You are asked to refer to all of both sources.

You will compare how the writers convey ideas about something. This might be a theme or a concept, or similar.

You should:

Compare the ideas of the two authors, as well as *how* these are portrayed.

Analyse how named methods are used.

Select quotations to support your points from the text.

Show an understanding of the different ideas conveyed in the text.

Ensure that you are referring to both texts, otherwise you may risk losing up to 24 marks, which could severely impact your final grade.

Question 5

You will be given a controversial argument.

You will be asked to write to a specific target audience.

24 marks are available for content, and 16 for accuracy.

You should:

Ensure your register is suitable to the target audience.

Ensure your writing is matched to to the purpose specified.

Ensure your vocabulary is extensive and complex.

Use a variety of literary devices.

Use a variety of structural features.

Ensure that your sentences are formed coherently.

Use a wide range of punctuation to a high accuracy.

Use standard English.

Maintain a high level of accuracy in spelling, and grammar, throughout.

FAQ

Spoiler

Note regarding grade boundaries

We don't know what mark is required for each grade.

Using the grade boundaries for the old specification, it is unlikely that a good pass, a grade 5 will surpass around 40% (50% for Language). It will likely be lower as most people find this specification significantly harder.

Similarly, an 8 is unlikely to exceed 70-75%.

Teachers who use "90% is an 8, 80% is a 7", are confusing raw marks with UMS marks. This doesn't mean their feedback should be disregarded, it simply means that the grades given are probably inaccurate, probably by 1 or 2 grades, in some cases.

A short note
Don't worry about struggling with the new specification. Most people are, and that means that grade boundaries will be low, so don't get stressed or anxious over this!

Spoiler

Feel free to post any suggestions/questions/mistakes. (I've probably made a few :P)

Thank you so much for this, it has helped me tremendously. Sorry if you have mentioned this already in your post and I missed it but what are the key things we need to know for the English Literature exam on the set texts and poetry? Is it like themes, context, characters etc..? Thank you.
(edited 7 years ago)
Absolute legend!
Thanks so much and do you know where can access practice papers for the new GCSE English spec????
Original post by Amelia da silva
Thanks so much and do you know where can access practice papers for the new GCSE English spec????

http://www.aqa.org.uk/exams-administration/exams-guidance/find-past-papers-and-mark-schemes
these are the only official Literature ones for the new spec, just change the qualification to 'English Language' to get the language specimen papers! Edit: this is for the AQA spec!
Reply 44
Hi please can someone help me do you know what questions from to kill a mockingbird and inspector calls were in the 2016 igcse paper? I have done all the other past questions but not these as I cannot find them. Thank you very much, all help is appreciated.:smile:
Really helpful! :u:
Very good.
This is absolutely perfect! Great for a student worried about the English exam and super helpful for those who do not fully understand the exam. Are your suggestions applicable for the Edexcel exam board (as my school chose Edexcel)? Thanks
Original post by Eman Khurram
Hello! You know for question 5 on paper 2, are we allowed to make up facts and statistics in order to write to persuade?? For example in an article or newspaper form?

Yeah,,But just make sure that it is realistic
Original post by _gcx

This post is a work in progress.

As I see many people posting about struggling with the new specification for English Literature and English Language, I decided to make a post with some advice, as well as some clarification on what has changed.

I have only discussed the AQA specification, for now, because I haven't looked into the specifications provided by Edexcel/OCR/WJEC, yet, although I may do that in the future.

Format of the exams - English Literature

English Literature now comprises two exams, one of 64 marks, and one of 96 marks, making 160 marks overall. The first is 105 minutes long (1h45m), the second is 135 minutes long. (2h15m)

Paper 1 is split into two sections:

Section A is a question regarding the Shakespearean play that you have studied. You are to answer one 30 mark question, the one that is relevant to the play that you have studied. This is clearly indicated. You will be given one short extract, and you will be asked a question regarding that extract, and the "text as a whole". As I've said, it's worth 30 marks, and you will receive 4 additional marks for spelling, punctuation, and grammar.

Section B is a question regarding the 19th century text that you have studied. Similar to before, you are given an extract, and you will be asked to answer a question in reference to it, and in reference to the play as a whole. This is also worth 30 marks, but there are no AO4 marks available.

Paper 2 is split into three sections: Section A, Section B and Section C.

Section A is a 30 mark question regarding the modern text/play, that you have studied. 4 marks for spelling, punctuation, and grammar, are available. You are given a choice of 2 questions for your text, and you are to pick only one. You are not given an extract to work from.

Section B is the dreaded "poetry" section. There are two poetry questions to pick from, one for each part of the anthology, "Love and Relationships", and "Power and Conflict". You should, obviously (:P) pick the one relevant to the poems that you have studied. You are given one poem, and you are asked to compare this poem with another within the cluster. You are not given a copy of the anthology to work from, you must recall quotes, context, and general points about form/structure from memory. A bit harsh, I know. This is worth 30 marks.

Section C is the Unseen Poetry section. You are given two unseen poems, and you have two questions to answer. The first question is a 24 marker about one poem. This will likely be discussing the portrayal of a certain concept or theme within a poem. The 8 marker is comparing this poem to a, probably quite similar, poem. There are no spelling, punctuation, and grammar marks available within this section.

This might seem quite scary, but I will try to give a more in-depth guide to each question.

Format of the exams - English Language
English Language is comprised of two exams of equal length, 80 marks and 105 minutes.

For both papers, there are two sections. I will start with paper 1:

You are given a fictional text, likely from a novel or similar. The one used in the Specimen paper is around 43 lines, although the text used for the actual exam may be shorter or longer.

The questions asked may include: a 4 marker, which should be simple comprehension, two 8 marker discussing language and structure, and a 20 mark "how far" question.

The second section may be easier for some. It's creative writing. There are 24 content marks, and 16 accuracy marks, which includes spelling, punctuation, and grammar. You are given a picture, and you are asked to either write a descriptive piece, or the start of a story based around it.

In the second paper, you are presented with 2 non-fiction texts. The questions asked may include:

A 4 mark comprehension question.

An 8 mark question discussing differences

A 12 mark question discussing language

A 16 mark comparison question.

For the second section, you are presented with a statement, and you are to write an argumentative piece regarding your viewpoint.

The questions specified within this section are based off the exam materials that we have at present. They may vary from the actual exam.

Structure of answers
A problem that I have seen in the answers of others, and the problem which I once had with my own answers, is structure. Frequently, people have the right ideas, but they don't communicate it in a way which would pick them up marks. Generally speaking, you should be aiming to cover three core areas:

Context - This is discussion of the circumstances under which the text was written, and relating that to the question. This could be, for example, the portrayal of Lady Macbeth in Macbeth is representative of the way that women were, traditionally, viewed within Shakespeare's time. Of course, you should develop the point more than that, with quotations etc., and relate it to the question

Form and structure - This is equally as important as language. If one calls language, what has been written, you can call form/structure, how it has been written. This may include, for example, line length, stanza length, meter, rhyme scheme, caesuras, perspective shifts, narrative shifts, etc.

Language - This should go without saying, analysis of the language that is used within the text!

Context may not be relevant, always. For example, in Unseen Poetry, you are not expected to know any context to the poem, and you wouldn't get much credit for attempting to do so. In English Language, you are often given context, and you can use that.

Structuring your points
Within an answer, you shouldn't go "over the top" with points. You may wish to do 2 languages points, a structure point, and a context point, or similar. It depends on the detail that you want to go in to. The advice that I can give regarding this, is that: one fully developed point will receive more credit than five vague, undeveloped, single-sentence points. I would recommend structuring your points, like this:

Point - Make your point clearly.

Evidence - Give evidence to support the point. This should be in the form of quotations.

Explain - Develop your point in relation to the question. You should mention named literary techniques, and link them to your point.

Impact - Explain the effect on the reader or viewer. This could something like, "helping the reader to visualise ...", for metaphors, similes, and personification. I absolutely cannot stress how important this is. Even if it's only one or two lines, it will still matter. It will make an impact -- no pun intended.

Context - If relevant, support the point with context.

Link - Evaluate the point, and link it to the question.

With this, you're hitting the assessment objectives consistently, and you're giving the examiners what they're looking for.

Don't go over the board, don't repeat yourself, and whatever you do, don't go line by line. You will undoubtedly run out of time, missing more important points.

General advice

Use a regular structure, as I detailed earlier.

Read the questions extremely carefully. Pick out key points, ie. "describe", "explain", "how?". Read the question entirely, a few times, before you attempt to answer the question. If you miss out a word or two, you may find yourself getting the whole question wrong, and potentially losing all, or most, of the marks offered for the question. This might seem scary, but it's better to be safe than sorry. I have done this before, and I ended up losing around 20 marks over it. If it helps, rewrite the question in your own words.

Do a plan before you attempt to answer the questions. Don't spend too long on it, just jot down a few key points that you aim to hit. If you want, scribble down some relevant quotes to include for each point. This will ensure that your response is focused, and isn't "all over the place".

Practice picking out quotes and key points from texts. Most importantly, practicse and get your teacher to mark your work. Don't get upset if it doesn't go as planned. Note your teachers advice, at all times. While the grade they give you might not be correct, I will talk about that later, the feedback they give you wil be extremely valuable. Far, far, far, far, far, far more valuable than the mark they give you, in fact.

Don't repeat yourself. Only introduce a new point if it's unique. If not, simply add the quotation you were going to use into your previous point.

Provide different viewpoints.

An answer cannot be wrong if it is properly developed and substantiated, and is relevant to the question.

Specific Guidance for English Literature
Paper 1:
Question 1-13

You will be given an extract of variable length.

You will be presented with a question, regarding a theme or a character.

You are to both use the extract provided, and details from the text as a whole.

You should start with the extract.

You should:

Refer to the text as a whole [AO1]

Explore the impact upon the reader. [AO2]

Paper 2:
Question 1-24

You have an option of two questions for the text you have studied.

One question will be regarding the development, involvement or characteristics of character(s) within the text.

The other question will be regarding the exploration of a theme.

You are not provided with an extract.

You should:

Refer to the text as a whole [AO1] -- this is important. You may be essentially restricting yourself to mark band 3, which is said to be around a grade 4/5, if you forget to do this. Even if it's only one point mentioning the whole text, it's definitely better than nothing.

Explore the impact upon the reader or viewer. [AO2]

Question 25-26

You are presented with one poem from the anthology cluster.

You are given a theme.

You should compare this poem, with another in the cluster, within the bounds of the theme.

You should:

Compare two poems (goes without saying) - you will be very restricted in terms of credit if you don't do this. [AO1]

Analyse the writer's techniques, utilising subject terminology [AO2]

Make links within your response to context and the task [AO3]

Question 27.1

For Part 1, you are provided with one poem.

This poem will be completely new to you.

You are to answer a question regarding this poem.

This question is worth 24 marks.

You should:

Analyse the writer's techniques with the use of subject terminology [AO2]

Context is not required.

Question 27.2

You are provided with another poem.

This poem should be relate to the first, in some form.

You will be asked to compare how the writers present a common theme.

Only 8 marks are available, and thus I recommend that it should be treated as low-priority.

You should:

Explore the writers use of language, structure and form using subject terminology.

Make comparisons on the effects of the techniques used by the two writers.

Spelling, Punctuation and Grammar

4 marks: Consistently accurate, uses vocabulary and sentences structures to effectively control the meaning of their (the candidate's) writing.

2-3 marks: Considerably accurate, uses vocabulary and sentences structures to control the meaning of their (the candidate's) writing.

1 mark: Reasonably accurate, uses a reasonable range of vocabulary and sentences.

0 marks: Mostly incoherent, or nothing has been written.

Specific Guidance for English Language
Paper 1:

You are presented with a fictitious text.

Question 1

You are asked to pick out 4 points from the text, regarding a quite basic topic, for example, the weather in the extract.

You are not required to explain the points in any detail

You will receive a mark for every correct observation, to a maximum of 4.

Question 2

You are presented with an extract from the text.

You should only reference to this extract.

You should talk about: words and phrases, form and structure and language techniques

You are required to discuss the readers choice of language in relation to a theme. This could be the way in which the author presents the weather.

There are 8 marks available.

You should: [AO2]

Analyse the effects of the writer's choices of language, including sentence forms, techniques etc.

Select a relevant range of quotations/evidence from the text.

Reference to named literary techniques.

Question 3

You are to refer to the whole source.

You are given a question regarding the structure of the extract.

The advice given below the question may vary depending on the text.

8 marks are available.

You should:

Analyse the writer's choice of structural features.

Select appropriate examples to evidence your point.

Use subject terminology.

Question 4

You should focus on the part of the extract specified in the question. You will, however, not be penalised for discussing outside this scope.

You will be presented with a statement, and you will be asked how far you agree.

You will be given several question-dependant hints.

You should:

Evaluate effects on the reader

I would recommend presenting arguments both for and against, although this isn't made clear in the markscheme.

Show an understanding of the writer's techniques.

Use subject terminology.

Select appropriate examples to evidence your point

Maintain a focus on the question. This is important for a large essay question such as this.

Question 5

You will be given a picture or, potentially, a source. It's hard to say, given only one question paper.

You will be asked to either write a description of the picture, or the start of a story based around it.

You will be awarded 16 marks for accuracy, and 24 for content.

You should:

Your form and tone should be suitable to the audience targeted.

Use ambitious vocabulary and structures.

Should match your writing to the purpose required of the question.

Use varied and "inventive" vocabulary.

Structure your piece in a way that is clear.

Incorporate a range of "inventive" ideas.

Maintain a consistently accurate sentence structure.

Use a wide range of punctuation where appropriate.

Use standard English unless instructed otherwise.

Ensure that spelling is accurate.

Use an extensive range of vocabulary.

Paper 2:

You are given two pieces of non-fiction text.

Question 1

You may be given a part of the text to focus on.

You will be required to answer a basic comprehension question, possibly a true/false question.

One mark will be awarded for each correct observation, up to a maximum of 4.

Question 2

You will be asked to use two sources.

You are asked to write a summary of the differences between an element of the two texts.

You can receive a maximum of 8 marks.

You should:

Make clear inferences based on both texts.

Use quotes to evidence your point.

Make clear statements discussing the differences (not similarities) of the text.

Question 3

You are asked to refer to one source.

Carefully note which source this is, and I cannot stress that enough. You risk losing all 12 marks available if you talk about the wrong source.

You will be asked a question about the use of language within that source.

You do not need to talk about structure, but you could/should talk about sentence forms.

You should:

Analyse the effects of the writer's choice of language.

Use quotations to evidence/support your points.

Refer to named linguistic features/techniques, and relate these to the question.

Question 4

You are asked to refer to all of both sources.

You will compare how the writers convey ideas about something. This might be a theme or a concept, or similar.

You should:

Compare the ideas of the two authors, as well as *how* these are portrayed.

Analyse how named methods are used.

Select quotations to support your points from the text.

Show an understanding of the different ideas conveyed in the text.

Ensure that you are referring to both texts, otherwise you may risk losing up to 24 marks, which could severely impact your final grade.

Question 5

You will be given a controversial argument.

You will be asked to write to a specific target audience.

24 marks are available for content, and 16 for accuracy.

You should:

Ensure your register is suitable to the target audience.

Ensure your writing is matched to to the purpose specified.

Ensure your vocabulary is extensive and complex.

Use a variety of literary devices.

Use a variety of structural features.

Ensure that your sentences are formed coherently.

Use a wide range of punctuation to a high accuracy.

Use standard English.

Maintain a high level of accuracy in spelling, and grammar, throughout.

FAQ

Spoiler

Note regarding grade boundaries

We don't know what mark is required for each grade.

Using the grade boundaries for the old specification, it is unlikely that a good pass, a grade 5 will surpass around 40% (50% for Language). It will likely be lower as most people find this specification significantly harder.

Similarly, an 8 is unlikely to exceed 70-75%.

Teachers who use "90% is an 8, 80% is a 7", are confusing raw marks with UMS marks. This doesn't mean their feedback should be disregarded, it simply means that the grades given are probably inaccurate, probably by 1 or 2 grades, in some cases.

A short note
Don't worry about struggling with the new specification. Most people are, and that means that grade boundaries will be low, so don't get stressed or anxious over this!

Spoiler

Feel free to post any suggestions/questions/mistakes. (I've probably made a few :P)

Hello. This is a very helpful post, as I am struggling with the 10 marker fiction questions. The questions like, how does the writer develop drama? I have tried to put the question into my own words bit by bit, and I have picked out similes, dramatic action verbs, nouns and dialogue and metaphor then tried to do the PEE. For example, the writer uses a simile in paragraph one. For example, "like a giant throat swallowing." The use of this simile creates a vivid, dramatic image in the readers mind which brings the action to life for the reader. Am I in the right lines for this question? And is my PEE long enough. Thanks.
Wow thank you so much!
In my English literature we are studying Jekyll and Hyde, Merchant of Venice and An inspector calls. I believe paper 1 is on Jekyll and Hyde and Merchant of Venice, my main struggle is remembering specific quotes which will back my points in which I make and will suit the question asked.

But thank you for your help, really appreciate it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending