Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone else find that the level of support that they get from professionals dwindles as they get older? I have been diagnosed with ASD (Asbergers), my Aspergers is fairly mild but it still affects me on a daily basis - at least enough to impact my life.

I received fairly decent support when I was younger and in secondary school but the level of support that I receive now is not up to par. At university I have a mentor who I see twice a week (sometimes once a week) but I get the impression that she is not entirely familiar with my condition. She empathizes with me frequently but to me it seems as though she is learning about the condition from me.

I have been back at university for six weeks now and I was supposed to be allocated a note taker. I had one note taker for three weeks who was great but this note taker had to leave, I then received another one who I have had for one week, this note taker only covers the basic parts of my course but she does not partake in note taking for the Maths modules or practicals - I have to take notes myself during those lectures. My university has told me that they would sort this out by the end of this week and they haven't. The university disability service itself has informed me that they are short of staff and while I can emphasize with them, the situation is not my problem to deal with.

It often seems that health professionals (from any organisation) take advantage of my ability to cope with these situations as my disability is not as serve as it is for others.

I don't know what to do with this situation because I can't control what they do, it's up to them to provide the service that they are being paid for and I can't force them do that.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Frostyj)
    Does anyone else find that the level of support that they get from professionals dwindles as they get older? I have been diagnosed with ASD (Asbergers), my Aspergers is fairly mild but it still affects me on a daily basis - at least enough to impact my life.

I received fairly decent support when I was younger and in secondary school but the level of support that I receive now is not up to par. At university I have a mentor who I see twice a week (sometimes once a week) but I get the impression that she is not entirely familiar with my condition. She empathizes with me frequently but to me it seems as though she is learning about the condition from me.

I have been back at university for six weeks now and I was supposed to be allocated a note taker. I had one note taker for three weeks who was great but this note taker had to leave, I then received another one who I have had for one week, this note taker only covers the basic parts of my course but she does not partake in note taking for the Maths modules or practicals - I have to take notes myself during those lectures. My university has told me that they would sort this out by the end of this week and they haven't. The university disability service itself has informed me that they are short of staff and while I can emphasize with them, the situation is not my problem to deal with.

It often seems that health professionals (from any organisation) take advantage of my ability to cope with these situations as my disability is not as serve as it is for others.

I don't know what to do with this situation because I can't control what they do, it's up to them to provide the service that they are being paid for and I can't force them do that.
    Make a formal complaint to whoever runs the disability services,they should be providing the service that they re paid for.

ReputationRep:
    Make a formal complaint at the very least. Perhaps consider writing a letter to your local MP.

It's an absolute scandal that a mentally disabled University student should be expected to take their own notes.

ReputationRep:
    Well i'm not from England so I can't complain to my local MP.

I have complained about this before but the Disability department didn't change anything, they seemed to have the attitude of 'take what you can get'.

I don't know why I am continually expected to run after them and tell them of my situation. They should've sorted out my note taker six weeks ago, continually saying to me 'I sympathize with you but we don't have enough staff' is not good enough - that isn't my problem and I shouldn't have to suffer for it. Some of the staff also kept making excuses about personal problems e.g. Illnesses and trying to defend themselves through that - again this is not my problem, if they can't cope with the demands of the job then they should take another career path.

My local education authority is paying the Disability department at this university £20,000 a year so they have more than enough funds to sort my issues out. They have no excuses and I have no sympathy for them.

It's frustrating, I can't force them to provide me with the services that they are required to provide. I am powerless and have to accept what they give me.

It makes me wonder how other people with more severe disabilities are coping.

ReputationRep:
    Go back to your needs assessor and let him or her know that the university isn't able to provide you with the note taking support. If they can't provide it, I should think they would've informed the assessor, but looks like it hasn't happened in this case.

In the meantime, and for the classes where your note taker doesn't attend, was an alternative note taking solution recommended for you? Something like a recording device or digital camera? If not, this might be something else you could talk to your assessor about.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Talk to your funding body.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lovesick)
    Go back to your needs assessor and let him or her know that the university isn't able to provide you with the note taking support. If they can't provide it, I should think they would've informed the assessor, but looks like it hasn't happened in this case.

In the meantime, and for the classes where your note taker doesn't attend, was an alternative note taking solution recommended for you? Something like a recording device or digital camera? If not, this might be something else you could talk to your assessor about.
    They are short staffed so I don't think it's a question of not having ample note takers more that they haven't got the time to source the appropriate note taker.

I made my own notes in Maths and Practicals this week, I had no problem doing that then, I just couldn't do it for the whole year; especially in Maths.

ReputationRep:
    Your Student Union should have a Disability Officer, so go and talk to them. They can tell you whether you have any way of speeding things up and getting the help you've been promised.

ReputationRep:
    Today, I went in to the Disability office and they told me that they still hadn't allocated a note taker because they couldn't find one. They said that the support staff are working on it which is fine for them, I need a note taker, this is now the sixth week into the First term. I don't see how this is acceptable.

At this point I have no motivation to even bother pursing this anymore. I have done all that I can do and so now I am powerless and will have to wait to they do the job that they are paid to do. As an ordinary person who isn't wealthy etc I have no influence/say in what they do.

ReputationRep:
    Why can you take your own notes in your classes for a week but not the whole year?

Also, what is your goal post-graduation?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Frostyj)
    Today, I went in to the Disability office and they told me that they still hadn't allocated a note taker because they couldn't find one. They said that the support staff are working on it which is fine for them, I need a note taker, this is now the sixth week into the First term. I don't see how this is acceptable.

At this point I have no motivation to even bother pursing this anymore. I have done all that I can do and so now I am powerless and will have to wait to they do the job that they are paid to do. As an ordinary person who isn't wealthy etc I have no influence/say in what they do.
    Can you borrow someone else's notes as a temporary measure? What does your Student Union say?

ReputationRep:
    Don't be thinking about giving up. Were you given a voice recorder? Would your lecturer let you record the lesson on your phone so you can make notes from the recording later, in your own time?

ReputationRep:
    Why though? I'm powerless, I have no control over what they do, I have to wait until they take the initiative to do the job. Until then i'm in limbo. With this disability most of the time I don't get any support and I am left to do things on my own, this is not the way things are supposed to be.

I've been diagnosed with this disability for three years and I am coming to the end of my tether with all the fighting that I have to do.. I don't have the energy anymore.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  2. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. Bishop Grosseteste University
    All Courses Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.