Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I've got a dilemma on my hands here!

Initially i started out with four subjects at the start of the year.
    • Media
      Geography
      English
      Philosophy

What happened was i dropped Media in mid November as it was a worthless subject for me.

So i was left with 3 subjects and too late to pick up another AS subject.

Got my results yesterday and found out i actually FAILED Geography got a U while i passed English (B) and Philosophy (B).

Now obviously i can't drop any subject because the minimum a levels i need are 3 but having failed geography and unable to drop it because i i don't have another subject to fall back on what should i do?

Retake the whole subject, reject it and take up a AS subject next year?

Any advice would be grateful, thanks in advance.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Some universities consider two AS levels in lieu of a third, so that might be something worthwhile considering. However, two A-Levels and an AS is not the equivalent to three A-Levels. If I were you, I'd resit all three modules but spread it out, so for example you could sit two in January and the the final module in the summer. This would mean you'd have enough time to concentrate on your English and Philosophy and also complete any coursework you might have.

ReputationRep:
    Ask your college if it cud be possible to redo the geography AS and go to classes whislt still going to A2 geography classes

you'd effectively have double the amount of geography lessons. Of course thats only necessary if you really need the extra revision and support for the resits.

failing that see if there is another subject you cud do in one year by doing AS and A2 classes art the same time. At my college people doing business and economics who dont like the other choices are allowed to drop both and do a law alevel in one year so it might be worth jsut asking.

ReputationRep:
    are u like a. smart student?...who failed the subject coz he/she didnt try hard enough?...

if so, u can resit the modules u got real bad grades at....

or choice 2, do an intense course on another A level subject that u like...

but the main thing is : just work ur ass off....u've learnt ur lesson as i have learnt mine lol

ReputationRep:
    I got bad grades in all the modules for geography!

But I had the geography exam on the same day as Englis. I know that should not be an excuse but i did concentrate more on english while revising and by the looks of it ALOT, so i guess i didn't try hard enough!

Thanks for the advice guys.

Also If i resit my geography AS exam would they wipe out the U grade?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    If you enjoy geography enough resit and try to do A2 at the same time.

If you don't think you could improve, ask about doing a different A level in a year.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Lucy_17)
    thanks for the advice guys.

If you pass it will.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    thanks for the advice guys.

If you did better yes. Make sure it's not cashed in and get a teacher to mention in their reference the fact that you are sitting 3 A-Levels but that there has been some difficulty with Geography and you are currently in the process of requesting a remark. The intensive course suggestion is a good idea just make sure you don't take on too much!

ReputationRep:
    f you did better yes. Make sure it's not cashed in and get a teacher to mention in their reference the fact that you are sitting 3 A-Levels but that there has been some difficulty with Geography and you are currently in the process of requesting a remark. The intensive course suggestion is a good idea just make sure you don't take on too much!
    I think i can manage the extra work load; it'll fill up the huge amount of free periods! And great tip about the grade not beig cashed in! I'll be on my tutor about that come enrollment day.

Thanks guys!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I think i can manage the extra work load; it'll fill up the huge amount of free periods! And great tip about the grade not beig cashed in! I'll be on my tutor about that come enrollment day.

Thanks guys!
    Good luck!
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    you might be just as well trying to contact your tutor now to just to make sure what your planning is suitable, and realistic.

ReputationRep:
    i agree with kirsty... coz if you leave it until enrollment then you might have to make a rash decision you regret if you're not allowed to do it.

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.