Turn on thread page Beta

Should a second UK Referendum be called? watch

ReputationRep:
    There are many arguments to suggest that perhaps the Referendum was not a just display of pulblic opinion. One argument for this is that the public were not told enough about the potential outcomes of either staying or leaving, and even prominent political figures are now admitting to lies and deceit involving the information we were given.

ReputationRep:
    No.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Any change of course should come via the next general election, whenever that may be. If a party stood on a pro-EU platform and was voted in then they'd have a mandate, but either way the referendum should not be re-run. The only credible way to do it would be if there was a huge shift in public opinion following the announcement of the new EU deal post-negotiation, but I think this is unlikely.

ReputationRep:
    I think the Oot vote would be higher IF there was a second Referendumb but I don't think there is a hope in hell's chance of the (same) question being asked again.

There is however an argument for asking the great unwashed if they agree with the deal on leaving. Don't think it'll be asked either though.

ReputationRep:
    No. Easy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jess_Harding)
    There are many arguments to suggest that perhaps the Referendum was not a just display of pulblic opinion. One argument for this is that the public were not told enough about the potential outcomes of either staying or leaving, and even prominent political figures are now admitting to lies and deceit involving the information we were given.
    Pretty sure there were lies on Remains side too, like the economy would fall off a cliff?

Except the economy has been growing :////

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jacarch12)
    Pretty sure there were lies on Remains side too, like the economy would fall off a cliff?

I don't disagree that the remain camp has lied, but:1. Brexit hasn't happened yet2. We've lost out on even greater growth anyway, just because the economy hasn't gone full ham 1930's depression style doesn't mean the economy has not already been hurt.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    No. I think if run again the result would be different, better to accept it and carry on. Its a shame there wasnt clearer information and pledges on just what else it involved, soft/hard Brexit, funds for NHS etc.

If you had another referendum, then whats to stop making it best of three, best of five etc?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goatygoat)
    I don't disagree that the remain camp has lied, but:1. Brexit hasn't happened yet2. We've lost out on even greater growth anyway, just because the economy hasn't gone full ham 1930's depression style doesn't mean the economy has not already been hurt.
    The economy grew by 0.5% in Q3, thats better than the last 5 years...?

Nissan is moving more plants to the UK, TV and Film industries are thriving...? Staying in the stagnant EU would just hurt us more.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster

We havent left yet. That wont be for two years.
    We have no idea of what sort of deal will be negotiated.
    We have no idea what sort of problems inflation might pose.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    We havent left yet. That wont be for two years.
    We have no idea of what sort of deal will be negotiated.
    We have no idea what sort of problems inflation might pose.
    - We have no idea what a United States of Europe may cause
    - We have no idea when the slowest growing economic union in the globe will start to actually grow significantly again
    - We have no say in the EU and how it runs
    - Diplomacy will allow us to negotiate a good deal
    - Non EU members with bad deals still thrive because they are outside stagnation
    - Economic regulation on this level has proven not to work
    - I could go on, we're getting out, its over. Lets all move on.

ReputationRep:
    The economy grew by 0.5% in Q3, thats better than the last 5 years...?

Nissan is moving more plants to the UK, TV and Film industries are thriving...? Staying in the stagnant EU would just hurt us more.
    1 company in 1 declining industry is not a great example. If you look at the last 2 years, quarter-on-quarter growth is below average. You can spin it how you want- and I'm not trying to prove that the economy is tanking. It's not. But it's also not doing brilliantly. Yes, it exceeded expectations, which is great but again it's all in the air. Also, in q2 retail was underperfoming, hence the spike for q3 may just be market noise.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    [QUOTE=Jacarch12;68296218]-

We have no idea what a United States of Europe may cause- care to explain?

- We have no idea when the slowest growing economic union in the globe will start to actually grow significantly again- So? How is this relevant?
    - We have no say in the EU and how it runs- false.
    - Diplomacy will allow us to negotiate a good deal- Meaningless. Its simply not know what we want and what we are prepared to give in negotiations.
    - Non EU members with bad deals still thrive because they are outside stagnation- Theres also other countries which do worse. Ypu might wish to look at the state of the UK when we joined the EU.
    - Economic regulation on this level has proven not to work- who has proven it?
    - I could go on, we're getting out, its over. Lets all move on.- you went on quite enough zzzzz

ReputationRep:
    On the terms of our exit? Yes.

Brexit was on the EU.

ReputationRep:
    - We have no idea what a United States of Europe may cause
    We also have no idea if that will even happen. And it likely would not any time soon.

- We have no idea when the slowest growing economic union in the globe will start to actually grow significantly again
    Yeah.

- We have no say in the EU and how it runs
    yes member countries are never allowed to veto the EU on anything ever nope that would be madness

- Diplomacy will allow us to negotiate a good deal
    It's that simple, is it? huh.

- Non EU members with bad deals still thrive because they are outside stagnation
    Examples?

- Economic regulation on this level has proven not to work
    Examples? Empty statements are nice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jess_Harding)
    Yeah cause the Remain campaigners' narrative of a Brexit scenario being like Dawn of The Dead wasn't deceitful at all.............

But we get it. Only people who happen to share your views are clever enough to see through lies in political campaigns. Everyone else is a brainwashed mong who believes everything they hear.

ReputationRep:
    I hope so but I doubt it'll ever happen

ReputationRep:
    A second referendum should only be called if the EU offers the UK a better deal for the nation to remain in the union. IE if aspects of the EU like freedom of movement & other legislative powers the UK has given up are returned. This shouldn't just be for the UK either - other EU countries should also get back the powers.

But it seems like the EU is too caught up in its perceived self importance to realistically offer any kind of deal.

ReputationRep:
    For those who believe in democracy, absolutely not. A decision you sont agree with is not a reason to rerun the referendum

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goatygoat)
    I'm sorry, but you can't have it both ways. You can't in one breath say that because we haven't left yet that means that the current lack of disaster now isn't indicative of a lack of disaster after the UK actually leaves the EU and then in the next say that there have been a negative impact as a result of the vote and that this IS indicative of ruination after the UK leaves the EU.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SHallowvale)
    On the terms of our exit? Yes.
    And what happens if the people reject the negotiated settlement then?

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.