Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So I wanted to be a vet at the start of college. I knew I wasn't going to get the grades and I wouldn't get accepted based on my experience with animals alone so gave up on that.
    Then wanted to do zoology which seemed more realistic - couldn't do that I got an E in Biology AS so dropped it
    At the same time I thought a History degree was a good idea because I was getting the highest grades in that in my AS year - got an E in that. Law was my highest grade which was a C, and I got a D in chemistry.
    Still aimed to do a History degree but I have come to the conclusion after starting A2 that I hate history and I still want to do a Zoology course and I am desperate to do it. I feel utterly useless and will never get onto a degree I will enjoy. I feel like crying every time I look at jobs in Zoology compared to History.
    I really don't know what to do. Is anyone else feeling the same? Anyone felt like this and got onto a course they liked?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pepper111)
    x
    Why not look into doing an apprenticeship rather than a degree?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AshEntropy)
    Why not look into doing an apprenticeship rather than a degree?
    I have considered it but why on earth does someone need to have an apprenticeship to be a receptionist and so on. Also what happens when I decide I want a different job and I don't have many qualifications - all thoughts running through my head at the time of looking at the different apprenticeships that I could possibly do. I want options that can give me a fulfilling life.

ReputationRep:
    Considering how much money you'll have to pay back at the end of it, I really wouldn't settle for a degree you hate. What would be the point?

Could you not retake your A-levels? Getting better grades would better enable you to get onto a course you actually like or get a decent job instead.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rainbow.panda)
    Considering how much money you'll have to pay back at the end of it, I really wouldn't settle for a degree you hate. What would be the point?

Could you not retake your A-levels? Getting better grades would better enable you to get onto a course you actually like or get a decent job instead.
    My college wouldn't let me. I have tried all I can to get good grades last time so I doubt it would make much of a difference.

ReputationRep:
    The hard truth is that your grades aren't good enough to do something that you think you will enjoy. Why are they so low? Passion and determination can achieve a lot - perhaps you need different teachers / teaching methods, or just more time.

What is it about being a vet that you would enjoy? Are there jobs that have those aspects without requiring the academic qualifications, e.g. working at an animal shelter? If not, you need to get better grades.

Do not do a degree that you hate. It's 3-4 years and money that you will probably never be able to repay. You could well end-up with a job that you hate, doesn't pay that well, and change careers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RogerOxon)
    The hard truth is that your grades aren't good enough to do something that you think you will enjoy. Why are they so low? Passion and determination can achieve a lot - perhaps you need different teachers / teaching methods, or just more time.

What is it about being a vet that you would enjoy? Are there jobs that have those aspects without requiring the academic qualifications, e.g. working at an animal shelter? If not, you need to get better grades.

Do not do a degree that you hate. It's 3-4 years and money that you will probably never be able to repay. You could well end-up with a job that you hate, doesn't pay that well, and change careers.
    I travel 3 hours a day to get to and from prestige college. I am taught to learn mark schemes and not to understand the material. I wanted to be a vet because I have lots of experience with animals and learning about diseases and antamony have always interested me and wanted to make a difference to peoples and animals lives - not just someone sitting at a desk all day answering phones but I am sure many don't want to do that.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    So I wanted to be a vet at the start of college. I knew I wasn't going to get the grades and I wouldn't get accepted based on my experience with animals alone so gave up on that.
    Then wanted to do zoology which seemed more realistic - couldn't do that I got an E in Biology AS so dropped it
    At the same time I thought a History degree was a good idea because I was getting the highest grades in that in my AS year - got an E in that. Law was my highest grade which was a C, and I got a D in chemistry.
    Still aimed to do a History degree but I have come to the conclusion after starting A2 that I hate history and I still want to do a Zoology course and I am desperate to do it. I feel utterly useless and will never get onto a degree I will enjoy. I feel like crying every time I look at jobs in Zoology compared to History.
    I really don't know what to do. Is anyone else feeling the same? Anyone felt like this and got onto a course they liked?
    You need to stop and think what you want do with your life.
    I would absolutely advise against doing a degree you do not like. It greatly decreases the chance of you doing well and then you will end up with a £50,000 debt for something of insufficient quality.

If you are really desperate to do Zoology. You really need to be looking at AAB- ABB. You could also consider doing an access course to try and get you into Uni. You need to be realistic as to what your academic ability is.

If the above is beyon your reach then an apprentichesip would be a good idea so you can reappraise your situation. Maybe something working with animals?

Dont go to Uni without thinking it through. Resits are fine and to be encourages if its what you really wish to do.

https://www.whatuni.com/advice/subje...e-guide/54357/

ReputationRep:
    I travel 3 hours a day to get to and from prestige college.
    That can't be easy, and eats into your study time if you can't whilst commuting.
    I wanted to be a vet because I have lots of experience with animals and learning about diseases and antamony have always interested me and wanted to make a difference to peoples and animals lives - not just someone sitting at a desk all day answering phones
    Do you want to it enough to work very hard to really understand the material? There are a lot of resources available, and forums where you can get help on what you might not be fully understanding, but it will take a lot of effort to get the grades that you would need.

I don't believe that anyone is incapable of achieving high grades, it's just that you do need to spend time wrestling to really understand the material, and practicing. There are other jobs where you work with animals, so it's really up to you to decide which one. If you're passionate about being a vet, go for it, but don't underestimate the time it will take. Good luck!
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    You don't need to go to uni now. If this was me, I'd resit A levels (or do an NVQ) and then maybe go to uni. Don't settle for something you're unhappy with. The debt won't be worth it.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Keele University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  2. University of Melbourne
    Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  3. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.