Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    2. A manufacturer produces computer monitor screens in which the picture is
    composed of 780 000 pixels. On average 1 in 500 000 of these pixels is faulty.
    Let X represent the number of faulty pixels in one monitor screen.

A retailer orders a batch of 5 monitor screens from the manufacturer. (The batch may be regarded as a random sample)

iv) The manufacturer wishes to improve quality so that 90% of the monitor screens have no faulty pixels at all. To what value must the manufacturer reduce the probability of a piexl being faulty in order to achieve this?

I don't understand what this question is asking, is it 90% of the screens in the batch that he wants to reduce the probability of?

I tried doing the following:
    X~Po(1.56)
    P(X=0) = 0.21

90% of 5 = 4.5 so 4.5 screens must have no faulty pixels
    (0.210^4.5) * (0.790^0.5) = 7.9x10^-4

However this doesnt seem right, since now the probability that there can be a faulty pixel per screen is bigger than before? where have i gone wrong?
    • Study Helper

Study Helper
    (Original post by IDontKnowReally)
    However this doesnt seem right, since now the probability that there can be a faulty pixel per screen is bigger than before? where have i gone wrong?
    You can't have 4.5 screens, it has to be an integer. So, the 90% cannot be refering to the batch of 5.

If you need further, I'd need to see the whole question, link/photo.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ghostwalker)
    You can't have 4.5 screens, it has to be an integer. So, the 90% cannot be refering to the batch of 5.

If you need further, I'd need to see the whole question, link/photo.
    I'm not too sure how to upload a photo but here is the question as it was given to me:

A manufacturer produces computer monitor screens in which the picture is composed of 780 000 pixles. On average 1 in 500 000 of these pixels is faulty. Let X represent the number of faulty pixels in one monitor screen.
    i) State the condition required for X to be binomially distributed

ii) Explain why a Poisson distribution provides a good approximation for X. State the mean of this Poisson distribution

iii) Hence find the probability that a randomly selected monitor screen has
    (A) exactly one fauulty pixel
    (B) at least two faulty pixels

iv) A retailer orders a batch of five monitor screens from the manufacturer. (The batch may be regarded as a random sample.)
    (A) Find the probability that exactly one of the five monitor screens has at least two faulty pixels
    (B) Find the probabilty that there are at most 10 faulty pixels n total in the batch

v) The manufacturer wishes to improve the quality so that 90% of the monitor screens have no faulty pixels at all. To what value must the manufacturer reduce the probablity of a pixel being faulty in order to achieve this?
    • Study Helper

Study Helper
    v) The manufacturer wishes to improve the quality so that 90% of the monitor screens have no faulty pixels at all. To what value must the manufacturer reduce the probablity of a pixel being faulty in order to achieve this?
    OK. The batch of 5, seems to refer solely to part (iv) of the question.

Part (v) is separate. So you're looking to find the probability that a pixel is faulty, which gives rise to the probability of no faults on a screen equalling 0.9

ReputationRep:
    OK. The batch of 5, seems to refer solely to part (iv) of the question.

Part (v) is separate. So you're looking to find the probability that a pixel is faulty, which gives rise to the probability of no faults on a screen equalling 0.9
    so that just means the probability that a pixel is faulty is 0.1?
    • Study Helper

Study Helper
    so that just means the probability that a pixel is faulty is 0.1?
    I'm pretty sure you meant "probability that a screen is faulty is 0.1".

Yep - that's it.

ReputationRep:
    I'm pretty sure you meant "probability that a screen is faulty is 0.1".

Yep - that's it.
    Sorry, yeah, that's what I meant. But how do I go about answering the question?
    • Study Helper

Study Helper
    Sorry, yeah, that's what I meant. But how do I go about answering the question?
    Well you've already gone through the process of working out the probability that a screen doesn't fail (no faults), for a given pixel failure probability. So:

Assume probability of pixel failure is "p". Work out the prob. that the screen doesn't fail in terms of p. Equate to 0.1 and solve for p.

ReputationRep:
    Well you've already gone through the process of working out the probability that a screen doesn't fail (no faults), for a given pixel failure probability. So:

Assume probability of pixel failure is "p". Work out the prob. that the screen doesn't fail in terms of p. Equate to 0.1 and solve for p.
    Got it, thank you! Didn't quite realise that it was referring to the probability of faulty pixels on one monitor screen. But why is it 0.1 and not 0.9 that you equate to?
    • Study Helper

Study Helper
    Got it, thank you! Didn't quite realise that it was referring to the probability of faulty pixels on one monitor screen. But why is it 0.1 and not 0.9 that you equate to?
    My mistake - should be 0.9, the probaility of no faults.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 30, 2016
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.