Turn on thread page Beta

Ultimate AS/ A level tips! *Intense dramatic music* watch

ReputationRep:
    Ultimate AS/ A level tips!

*cue dramatic music fusion from bake off and the apprentice*

Hi guys!

Let’s share some snazzy a level tips subject wise, and in general and help each other through the stressful journey accompanied by occasional pleasant scent of food (stress eating xD, is it just me ^-^) that is a levels!

I will start off!

In an actually useful talk in school, I discovered the importance of making revision notes early on, so when it comes near exam season, we will be more prepared and have more time to do practice papers, which the more we do, statistacally we should get better results.

So maybe it’s a good idea to set aside half an hour each day to make those revision notes, making sure we understand and refreshing our knowledge.

Also I learnt that on average, people come into the exam knowing 80% of what they need to know, but this can be increased by just making sure you check the course spec as you do your revision, ticking everything off.

Using the spec in lessons can also be useful, liking ticking of what you understand and putting a mark on what you need to go more over.

But one thing, that truly broke my heart, was that cramming wasn’t the way anymore, not for a levels. And rewriting notes won’t be enough.

So its rly important to do stuff with the notes like organise them into mind maps, answer questions, worksheets etc. Teach them to others, make flash cards etc stuff we have all probs done before. But its important doing all this his over a longer period of time and not just a while before exams, like maybe taking out an hour each week to review and focus on a few earlier topics in a subject?
    Name:  b82c178f9387383a356d3d1f75b3cd16.jpg
Views: 169
Size:  67.5 KB

Also I learnt how ordering can be beneficial. For example we can easily tell what song is coming next in our fave playlist. We can use this kind of thing in revision too, like skimming or looking through your notes (making sure they are in the order you want, like maybe spec wise) for 5 mins in a lesson. Personally I haven’t rly tried this tip yet, but I might give it a go this new half term.

Also another tip is to use dead time, like when you are brushing your teeth, by simply looking at notes, posters stuck on your bathroom.

Also extra reading (e.g books, articles, google scholar, iTunes U, youtube ) is a really good idea, because it helps us give a wider understanding of our subject and see how it is applied to real life and also helpful preperation for uni style life, and a good supercurricular we can possibly write in ucas also we can learn and use snazzy unique quotes from some sources too! (Also another tip for quoting (article author, date of article (year)).

Sorry I kind of rambled on, but if you have any tips in general or subject wise or some inspiring memes, please share!

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. London Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  2. Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful revision links

Articles

Writing revision notes

Our top revision articles

Tips and advice on making the most of your study time.

Boomarked book

Superpowered study

Take the hard work out of revising with our masterplan.

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Can you help? Study Help unanswered threadsStudy Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.