Turn on thread page Beta

Whats the most Ecconomical speed to travel on a Motorway? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Friggerpants)
    Just sit in middle lane at sixty, and watch your MPG go sky high!

Plus you'll look cool too .
    never sit in the middle lane the middle lane is for overtaking if you are going to cruise at 60 do it in the left hand lane

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by john trfc)
    never sit in the middle lane the middle lane is for overtaking if you are going to cruise at 60 do it in the left hand lane
    He was being sarcastic.

ReputationRep:
    mess thread.

ReputationRep:
    Dw about fuel economy, do 80 and get there quicker. This means that your car is off the road quicker, thus meaning that traffic flows better and that you have saved the environment once again by shutting your engine off quicker!

Doing 200mph is the way to go, to save the environment, obviously.

Oh, i am back from the States too for anyone who cares. Although i am going back on Thursday to Disneyland!! woo!

ReputationRep:
    I go at 60. Even the Defender manages 35 mpg!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phoenix)
    Whats the most Ecomocial speed to travel on a Motorway? but doesn't seriously compromise the estimated time of arrival.

I usually travel at 80, but that usually seriouslyeffects fuel consumption
    It all depends what car you have, if like me you drive an auto and your car doesnt change into top gear until 60/65mph, driving in any gear lower than top would be less economical. and yes 70mph is insanely economical for my size of engine !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kyle_LLB)
    It all depends what car you have, if like me you drive an auto and your car doesnt change into top gear until 60/65mph, driving in any gear lower than top would be less economical. and yes 70mph is insanely economical for my size of engine !
    1.3 ford ka

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dac_10)
    the slower the better but make sure your engine is running at peak torque.
    Sorry but whats peak torque? Is this to do with the revs?

ReputationRep:
    Yeh its to do with revs, it will be quoted in the tech spec for your car. Availiable in the prospectus.

On most small engines it is about 3,5k on petrol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Truman)
    Sorry but whats peak torque? Is this to do with the revs?
    its where the engine is at its max turning force for a given amount of fuel, but also where its most efficient out of all the rev range.

its like finding a certain weight for a dumbell which you can lift the highest volume and with least amout of lactic acid building up or running out of glucose in relation to that volume if you get me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JC.)
    I was making a joke... My car only manages 9mpg... or if I press on quite hard... which, to be fair, is most of the time... it gets about 6 to the gallon.
    I rejetted the carbs for power last weekend. :eek:
    How does one afford to run a car with that low MPG??!:p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gbduo)
    Dw about fuel economy, do 80 and get there quicker. This means that your car is off the road quicker, thus meaning that traffic flows better and that you have saved the environment once again by shutting your engine off quicker!

Doing 200mph is the way to go, to save the environment, obviously.

Oh, i am back from the States too for anyone who cares. Although i am going back on Thursday to Disneyland!! woo!
    If only....

I read that Veyron will empty it's tank in 12mins at 250mph lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yellowtruck)
    How does one afford to run a car with that low MPG??!:p:
    Probably why he recently bought a granny car.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JC.)
    I was making a joke... My car only manages 9mpg... or if I press on quite hard... which, to be fair, is most of the time... it gets about 6 to the gallon.

I thought you drove a v8, not a v12!, damn u could run a xj6/xjs v12 5.3HE cheaper than that v8 !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phoenix)
    hmmm, i know that 56mph is the best speed for fuel economy, but isn't a little dangerous to travel at that speed on a motorway?
    given it;s the speed LGV speed limiters are set at - probably not given that on none interchange sections of the motorway that will be the average speed or thereabouts of lane 1...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kyle_LLB)
    I thought you drove a v8, not a v12!, damn u could run a xj6/xjs v12 5.3HE cheaper than that v8 !
    My Dad's V12 gets around 17mpg - much better on fuel than the V8s.

ReputationRep:
    56mph is based on a Ford Anglia I seem to remember which had a 957cc? Ford Kent engine modern engines are probably a lot more efficient at that sort of speed especially when you consider the max speed of these Anglias was like 85mph.

ReputationRep:
    56mph is the quoted most efficient speed, but this will obviously vary between cars. The peak torque is good to sit at, but I think it's worth considering that the air resistance goes up cubically with velocity, so double the speed and you have 8 times the resistance! I've got a 1.1 Citroen AX, and it's quite happy to do 70, but I normally go at around 63 (precisely :P) just because at 70 the engine is revving quite high, and the French tin can engineering starts to get a little worrying....

ReputationRep:
    max fuel efficiency happens in the 4th gear, once you shift to 4th, rev up to 1K - 1.5K more. its then when its really frugal. so the speed depends on the power of engine nd stuff, it varies.

veyron runs out of fuel in 4mins @ 300kmph, ie 20Kms

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pseudomuse)
    hmmm, i know that 56mph is the best speed for fuel economy, but isn't a little dangerous to travel at that speed on a motorway?
    ive done 47mph to conserve fuel and gotten away with it safely

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.