The Student Room Group

Did you intentionally choose RG unis?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Magic Streets
But their top 10 ranking is only in the UK league tables. How are they going to break into the World top 100, and then rise further?

Why would I need to give a monkey's toss about World rankings? My point is that is is still a highly respected uni here in the UK.. and not in the RG :biggrin:
Original post by Willowbob
Why would I need to give a monkey's toss about World rankings? My point is that is is still a highly respected uni here in the UK.. and not in the RG :biggrin:

The World rankings matter much more for the true prestige of a university. The likes of Surrey and Loughborough do well in domestic rankings, but really struggle on the international stage. Doing well in national rankings alone is insufficient, which is why many RG universities have long since abandoned chasing the UK rankings.

The only people who care more about the domestic rankings are 17/18 year olds, and even then mainly those students who went to the weaker state schools. The good schools advise their students to target Russell Group universities, and to ignore rankings.
The World rankings matter much more for the true prestige of a university. The likes of Surrey and Loughborough do well in domestic rankings, but really struggle on the international stage. Doing well in national rankings alone is insufficient, which is why many RG universities have long since abandoned chasing the UK rankings.

The only people who care more about the domestic rankings are 17/18 year olds, and even then mainly those students who went to the weaker state schools. The good schools advise their students to target Russell Group universities, and to ignore rankings.

'true prestige' by what standards? Your regular UK employer? Academia?

i.e. exactly the people who the universities want to attract.

And afterwards, when those 17/18 year olds graduate and enter the job market, which rankings do potential employers (real live employers in the real world - not niche finance roles for a tiny minority (and even then their world is changing)) actually pay attention to? Answer: none of them. Employers are looking for good employees, no matter where they've been studying.
Original post by jneill
i.e. exactly the people who the universities want to attract.

And afterwards, when those 17/18 year olds graduate and enter the job market, which rankings do potential employers (real live employers in the real world - not niche finance roles for a tiny minority (and even then their world is changing)) actually pay attention to? Answer: none of them. Employers are looking for good employees, no matter where they've been studying.

Top employers opt for brain power as well as the soft skills. There is more to a university than just educating undergraduates. A great university can cater just as well for postgraduates, PhDs, post docs and beyond.
Top employers opt for brain power as well as the soft skills.

Sigh. That's my point. They want good people, not good universities.

Are you an employer?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
Sigh. That's my point. They want good people, not good universities.

Are you an employer?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Loughborough isn't a top tier university which the elite employers target. Lancaster is closer to that level.
Loughborough isn't a top tier university which the elite employers target. Lancaster is closer to that level.

http://www.highfliers.co.uk/download/2016/graduate_market/GMReport16.pdf
Page 33

:flute:

How does that answer my question?

And Loughborough famously has excellent employer connections, and for many courses is very highly regards. Not least engineering.

Lboro is 15th in the 2016 High Fliers report. Which uni is 14th? LSE.

Lancaster is 24th.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
How does that answer my question?

And Loughborough famously has excellent employer connections, and for many courses is very highly regards. Not least engineering.

Lboro is 15th in the 2016 High Fliers report. Which uni is 14th? LSE.

Lancaster is 24th.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Many of those employers are not elite companies (i.e. Tesco).
Many of those employers are not elite companies (i.e. Tesco).

The Tesco grad scheme would be a pretty good start for any graduate. Also listed are Morgan Stanley, Merril Lynch, Clifford Chance, Linklaters, BlackRock...

Anyway, which "elite" company are you currently recruiting for?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jneill
The Tesco grad scheme would be a pretty good start for any graduate. Also listed are Morgan Stanley, Merril Lynch, Clifford Chance, Linklaters, BlackRock...

Anyway, which "elite" company are you currently recruiting for?

Clearly you have no idea how crap the Tesco head office is, or the toxic company culture. Tesco ain't no M&S or Waitrose, or even Sainsburys.
Clearly you have no idea how crap the Tesco head office is, or the toxic company culture. Tesco ain't no M&S or Waitrose, or even Sainburys.

You're right I haven't been at HO. Though I imagine it's improved somewhat since their troubles in 2014... However, it's just one employer on the list.

Which one do you currently work for?
Original post by jneill
You're right I haven't been at HO. Though I imagine it's improved somewhat since their troubles in 2014... However, it's just one employer on the list.

Which one do you currently work for?

Oh I think we know the answer to that... :tongue:
Agreed, but there are some universities (Durham, Trinity College Dublin, Glasgow etc) which people like to boast about as having attended. Knobody boasts about going to Lancaster, but you should do fine there. They may even one day join the Russell Group.

Whilst I wouldn't say "boast", I am very proud to tell people I go to Lancaster. It was my firm choice - I chose it over Durham and I'm so glad I did.
Original post by loveire&song
Whilst I wouldn't say "boast", I am very proud to tell people I go to Lancaster. It was my firm choice - I chose it over Durham and I'm so glad I did.

I wouldn't have chosen Lancaster over Durham, the later is considered more reputable, and more beautiful. Your alumni network at Durham might have also helped later in life. But more important is the real you, and what you as an intellectual and as a person can give to the World. A prestigious university can only help so much (i.e. in helping get you interviews for your first or second job).
But more important is the real you, and what you as an intellectual and as a person can give to the World. A prestigious university can only help so much (i.e. in helping get you interviews for your first or second job).

Still waiting to hear which "elite" company you are a recruiter for (or even employee of)...

By the way, your last sentence is the key to this debate: "A prestigious university can only help so much". Indeed, and that's exactly right. A "prestigious" university may provide greater academic (and possibly other) opportunities. But it's YOU who is more important - you said it yourself: "more important is the real you, and what you as an intellectual and as a person can give to the World [or your employment, if we are returning this to the world of work]".

So, perhaps inadvertantly, you've precisely articulated the real truth:
The university doesn't matter, YOU do.

Congratulations and welcome to the real world.
Original post by jneill
Still waiting to hear which "elite" company you are a recruiter for (or even employee of)...

By the way, your last sentence is the key to this debate: "A prestigious university can only help so much". Indeed, and that's exactly right. A "prestigious" university may provide greater academic (and possibly other) opportunities. But it's YOU who is more important - you said it yourself: "more important is the real you, and what you as an intellectual and as a person can give to the World [or your employment, if we are returning this to the world of work]".

So, perhaps inadvertantly, you've precisely articulated the real truth:
The university doesn't matter, YOU do.

Congratulations and welcome to the real world.

Of course the university matters, to oneself, to academics when applying for postgraduate studies, and to elite firms.

Are you asian?
Of course the university matters, to oneself, to academics when applying for postgraduate studies, and to elite firms.

Are you asian?

What is with you and asking this stupid af question?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending