Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey,
    I'm really want to do genetics or biochemistry at university (the two courses are interchangeable) but I don't know what universities to pick considering my predicted grades are low (CCC). I'm down from 21 to 14 unis, but I can't go down much further. can you help?
    The unis are; Kings College London, Cardiff, Surrey, Sussex, UEA, Dundee, Keele, Warwick, Swansea, Reading, Kent, Brunel Uni London and Portsmouth.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xanthony)
    Hey,
    I'm really want to do genetics or biochemistry at university (the two courses are interchangeable) but I don't know what universities to pick considering my predicted grades are low (CCC). I'm down from 21 to 14 unis, but I can't go down much further. can you help?
    The unis are; Kings College London, Cardiff, Surrey, Sussex, UEA, Dundee, Keele, Warwick, Swansea, Reading, Kent, Brunel Uni London and Portsmouth.
    Have you checked the course structure (they all vary at each uni, so pick one with modules which interest you, and also have a broad range of choices for optional modules)? Also consider other opportunities available: year in industry, study abroad and such. Do you like the cities and have you been to any of their open days (or watched campus tours on YouTube and such)?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kkboyk)
    Have you checked the course structure (they all vary at each uni, so pick one with modules which interest you, and also have a broad range of choices for optional modules)? Also consider other opportunities available: year in industry, study abroad and such. Do you like the cities and have you been to any of their open days (or watched campus tours on YouTube and such)?
    I've attended almost every open day and seen most of the universities on youtube, a few of which stood out more than others. As for the course structure,I've made spreadsheets and printed out detailed course syllabuses and keep comparing them but it hasn't removed many universities. Do you think I'm over-complicating it?

ReputationRep:
    I've attended almost every open day and seen most of the universities on youtube, a few of which stood out more than others. As for the course structure,I've made spreadsheets and printed out detailed course syllabuses and keep comparing them but it hasn't removed many universities. Do you think I'm over-complicating it?
    There must be one you don't like.

So what's the result of your research? Do you like all their course structure and location? Is it cheap? There must be a few which are better than others.

ReputationRep:
    There must be one you don't like.

So what's the result of your research? Do you like all their course structure and location? Is it cheap? There must be a few which are better than others.
    Some pop out more than others, but do you think I should take the percentage of students getting a 1st or a 2.1 etc as an eliminating factor (e.g. universities with students that get less that 60% of 1st and 2.1s combined) and should be taken off my list? Thats the last bit of comparison I have left to do.

ReputationRep:
    Some pop out more than others, but do you think I should take the percentage of students getting a 1st or a 2.1 etc as an eliminating factor (e.g. universities with students that get less that 60% of 1st and 2.1s combined) and should be taken off my list? Thats the last bit of comparison I have left to do.
    You may actually find that unis with lots of students getting firsts, are better. Or worse. It could work either way?

ReputationRep:
    That'll be useless tbh. The rest would be to just see which one you prefer (in terms of aesthetics, facilities available and location). Also will cost be any issues for you? I know for a fact KCL and Reading have really expensive accommodation.

ReputationRep:
    That'll be useless tbh. The rest would be to just see which one you prefer (in terms of aesthetics, facilities available and location). Also will cost be any issues for you? I know for a fact KCL and Reading have really expensive accommodation.

Cost isn't that much of a problem really. It's more of the vibe given off by the university that I'm trying to figure out. I was only given my predicted grades last week and so it's a little late to go on anymore open days as ucas is due this month, and your choices are due this week (for my school). I've tried unistats, visiting the websites of each university and tried my best with youtube. Is there anything else I can do?

ReputationRep:
    Cost isn't that much of a problem really. It's more of the vibe given off by the university that I'm trying to figure out. I was only given my predicted grades last week and so it's a little late to go on anymore open days as ucas is due this month, and your choices are due this week (for my school). I've tried unistats, visiting the websites of each university and tried my best with youtube. Is there anything else I can do?
    I've applied to some of those unis and I'm attending Swansea (my other choices had a higher requirement than what I was predicted), so if you have any questions feel free to ask.

Vibe changes, so sometimes its best not to rely too much on it. I didn't even feel a single positive vibe when I started uni, but I've still had fun and met cool people

ReputationRep:
    I've just graduated UEA in Biological Sciences if you have any questions

ReputationRep:
    If you put Sussex down and choose them as firm then you will most likely get a much lower offer with the potential of a foundation year offer if you only make your predictions.
    Keele was offering places in clearing at CCD this year (200 points)
    Portsmouth are looking at BBC so you have to ask what will you realistically get? A prediction at C in Biology for a genetics course could be an issue

I think you have to be realistic, maybe choose a higher uni (or two) but then 2 or three that you are happy that you'll make the requirements for
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    You might be interested to know with our Biochemistry course we are 1st in the UK for student satisfaction. 100% percent of students were happy - that's got to make it worth considering, right? We're also a Top 15 university (Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide 2017), consistently a Top 5 university for student satisfaction overall (National Student Survey) and within the World Top 100 for research excellence (Leiden Ranking 2016).

While the grades you mention might not get you straight onto the course, you could consider exploring the option of Biological Sciences with Foundation Year as a route in.

Take a look at our video to be inspired further:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 1, 2016
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?
Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Life Sciences Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.