Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm in Year 12 and I'm doing Maths, Physics, and Chemistry. I've found out that I'm quite weak in the sciences. Does anybody have any tips on how to get a good grade?
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I have the same problem 😭

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lucifer4)
    I'm in Year 12 and I'm doing Maths, Physics, and Chemistry. I've found out that I'm quite weak in the sciences. Does anybody have any tips on how to get a good grade?
    Thanks
    Look over notes made in class, expand on the notes you've made in class by using a text book or another resource. After making notes, create a mind map of everything you've learned (I created powerpoints on everything I learned in the study session.) After that DO past paper questions and whatever you got wrong you should keep working on until you've got it correct.

ReputationRep:
    One thing I will say is read ahead, make notes on the textbook, do the questions in the textbook and ask the teacher for help if you are struggling. I found reading ahead very important as it enabled me to be able to focus on what I didn't understand in the lesson. I feel it's a bit soon to do past papers, but when you've reached the end of a unit then have a look at them. For chemistry and physics if they're linear you may have to look at the old spec and this may mean that it may be hard to find questions you want as it'll contain some things you won't be taught in the new spec, so I'd hold back on that, but maths definitely have a look at past papers.

ReputationRep:
    Thankyou for your advice...do you have any websites or YouTube/ video tutorials you can recommend for my subjects ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Highly recommend the CGP books if you don't already have them. Used them in GCSE and now for biology and chemistry A-level and I love them

ReputationRep:
    Yes yes yes CGP is so good just straight to the point with some cringey jokes but 👌🏽👌🏽👌🏽how did U find biology and chemistry? How did u revise and keep on top of everything?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Oh my God I meant to respond but I forgot, sorry! For chemistry, chemguide is quite a good website for stuff you don't understand, also the royal society of chemistry website may have some useful things. Khan Academy is a useful website, it is American so some things are different but it might help you in certain areas. (Not just chemistry) I hope this helps!
    Also in terms of youtube videos, some people I know swear by crash course, I have never watched them personally but I guess you could give them a shot!

ReputationRep:
    Do questionz for chemsitry. Not just note making.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

With the sciences it is important to get ahead of class - you should have a Scheme Of Work from your place of study. This will tell you what you are doing in each lesson - if you know that you are going to learn about protein synthesis read about it in the book BEFORE class - make some basic notes - learn the terminology. This way you will be able to understand the lessons on a deeper level.

In terms of which book to use - pick one you like and find easy to read - I hate CGP but that is my preference - get whatever works for you.

As well as taking notes and reading before class, paying attention in class you must also revisit your class notes AFTER class - with the topics it is all about repetition - thinking about your notes in different ways. When it comes to reviewing your content use as many resources as you can - this way you get a rounded view of your topics - You Tube is excellent for conceptual stuff - use flashcards / mind maps / whatever you like.

After you feel confident with your topics you have to test yourself - you can use text book questions (if you have the answers) - it is a good place to start - but ultimately you need to do practice questions. BUT - don't just do a paper and mark it - you have to reverse engineer all the questions you got wrong - go to the mark scheme and find out where you went wrong and how to put it right. Don't just think about what you would write - ACTUALLY WRITE IT!

All of this can seem a little overwhelming - so sort yourself out with a timetable so you can keep on top of where you are in your subject - this should stop it from becoming too stressful.

Hope this helps

Jade

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. SAE Institute
    Animation, Audio, Film, Games, Music, Business, Web Further education
    Thu, 16 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.