This discussion is closed.
nulli tertius
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Dodgypirate)

Thoughts?
I think that televisions should in the future be made and supplied with "off" switches so that parents who do not want their young children to see programmes such as this have a facility to exercise choice to not watch them.

I realise that this is a radical suggestion that could also be adopted for programmes about baking and ballroom dancing.
z33
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I dont think the idea of educating children on transgenderism is a bad thing - but I dont agree with the kid being shown to take hormones at such a young age. isnt that illegal like dont you have to be 18?

And also - there are transgender people who never transition so I think the stereotype that all transgender people transition could also be harmful.
SHallowvale
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Colouredsmurf)
I dont agree with teaching kids about sex/gender etc from a young age because if thats how they truly are they will know for themselves if they were transgendere by the time they're in puberty without it being waved in their face constantly.
There's merit to teaching children that some people can be different. This helps 'normal' people understand that not everyone is the same and it helps those who experience these things recognise what it means.
AperfectBalance
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Retired_Messiah)
I can't imagine 6 year olds will really understand wtf's going on with that, not sure if having confused kids is a great plan.

That said some basic understanding of gender identity stuff from a young age would be handy. Can't be bad for trans folk to have people that grow up understanding what's going on with em. Don't think this is the way to go about it though.

Surprised the advert uses standard gender stereotyping (football = lad, barbie = girl) to illustrate the point. We're gonna have lads going "wtf I don't mind playing with my sister's barbie, I must be a girl wtf no" and that's not ideal. So they've done something a bit weird and seem to have picked the worst way of going about it.

In conclusion, I am not in favour of the programme's existence because the kids are gonna be confused as hell over nothing.

Gender Identity a pretty silly term. you can be a man who likes "girly" things or a woman that is really into Death metal Biking and fist fighting. Does not mean you are another gender.

You are born one gender. you keep that gender, you may act in different ways but gender is not fluid and there are only 2 Genders.
saying you feel girly or that you are a girl does not make you a girl. nor does Having a operation.

Encouraging this behavior is seriously concerning
somemightsay888
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Lmao at "reflect true life", some quality autismo from the BBC right there.
Things like this should be arrived at by the person themselves, not implanted and impressioned on dumbass kids who'll be watching Rastamouse or some **** one minute and this the next :rofl:
Retired_Messiah
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by AperfectBalance)
Gender Identity a pretty silly term. you can be a man who likes "girly" things or a woman that is really into Death metal Biking and fist fighting. Does not mean you are another gender.
Yes.

You are born one gender
Yeah.

you keep that gender,
So if somebody has a serious case of gender dysphoria which is making a real mess of their life and their mental health where the only real alleviation is humouring them and letting them identify as the other gender and be classed as the other one, your solution is...what? Let them go mad?

you may act in different ways
How you act doesn't define gender, yes.

but gender is not fluid and there are only 2 Genders.
Dunno what you're getting at with the fluid point, there is only 2 tho unless you plan on identifying as a none-human

saying you feel girly or that you are a girl does not make you a girl.
Yes

nor does Having a operation.
Having a sex change operation doesn't change your sex? Wow those trans people had better start suing soon, their operations have clearly done nothing for them.

...?

Encouraging this behaviour is seriously concerning
I'm not sure you can really 'encourage' gender dysphoria given that it's a mental illness
Colouredsmurf
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by z33)
I dont think the idea of educating children on transgenderism is a bad thing - but I dont agree with the kid being shown to take hormones at such a young age. isnt that illegal like dont you have to be 18?

And also - there are transgender people who never transition so I think the stereotype that all transgender people transition could also be harmful.
True only the rich and privileged can afford it so you have to realise the effect it would have on kids of poorer/different ethnic/religious backgrounds
username917703
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Antioch)
Utterly disgusting. It's insane how obvious the BBC propaganda machine is.
They are a disgrace. I noticed them photoshopping articles a while back to suit their agenda and when I complained they changed it back.

Top notch coverage of things like sport and their documentaries are great but they are disgustingly biased.
sdotd
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Im sorry but this is disgusting. This shouldnt be encouraged at all. its a disgrace that the nhs pays for gender change
joey11223
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Too young IMO and causes the issue as said over confusion for both the young child and the parents. If a boy is wanting to have pink things and play with dolls, it does not immediately imply he actually WANTS to be a girl, where as things like this may actually influence that mindset to come about which later backfires dramatically later on. That said though, I'm not against using drugs to interfere with puberty, but not to change gender immediately. If at the on-set of puberty a child seems quite convinced (without influence) it is of the wrong gender, I would suggest puberty "pausing" drugs to give some time to think it through before acting.

I mean I'd describe myself as more effeminate than quite a few men I know, but I certainly don't want to be a girl. If at age 6-8 It was suggested to me from multiple sources that only wanting to be friends with girls, not liking sports etc, meant I actually wanted to be a girl deep down, that would have likely caused an incredibly damaging situation.
Antioch
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Wilfred Little)
They are a disgrace. I noticed them photoshopping articles a while back to suit their agenda and when I complained they changed it back.

Top notch coverage of things like sport and their documentaries are great but they are disgustingly biased.
Nice job.

What articles were these?

It's crazy how some people can't or refuse to see it. I had a guy tell me recently that the BBC is "completely neutral". I wanted to ask him what on earth made him think that but he was a client so I couldn't.
username917703
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Antioch)
Nice job.

What articles were these?

It's crazy how some people can't or refuse to see it. I had a guy tell me recently that the BBC is "completely neutral". I wanted to ask him what on earth made him think that but he was a client so I couldn't.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...ngham-34518864

On the 6th picture down, they put a load of grey clouds in to make it look like a ****hole, I only noticed it because I was following this development as it was built and had seen that picture in a different article before so I knew for a fact they had edited it. When I sent them an email they said it was supposed to be a light hearted article in honour of the famous Brummie sense of humour, or words to that effect, and then they changed it back :rolleyes:
username2303857
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Dodgypirate)
If I were the parent of a transgender child, I would allow them to play with whatever they want, but I wouldn't go down the road of having puberty-stopping drugs injected into them until they were much older and aware of the life-changing consequences.
Hormone blockers are not 'life changing'. And you obviously cannot take them much older, after puberty, as they would have no effect. All they do is suppress puberty, once you stop taking them, puberty begins. Hormone blocking trials, which are tightly controlled, have consistently shown that trans young people are overwhelmingly happier after taking them.

(http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entr...?utm_hp_ref=uk)
Dodgypirate
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by epage)
Hormone blockers are not 'life changing'. And you obviously cannot take them much older, after puberty, as they would have no effect. All they do is suppress puberty, once you stop taking them, puberty begins. Hormone blocking trials, which are tightly controlled, have consistently shown that trans young people are overwhelmingly happier after taking them.

(http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entr...?utm_hp_ref=uk)
HuffPo is the leftist-equivalent of DM... it's full of garbage.
Antioch
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Wilfred Little)
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...ngham-34518864

On the 6th picture down, they put a load of grey clouds in to make it look like a ****hole, I only noticed it because I was following this development as it was built and had seen that picture in a different article before so I knew for a fact they had edited it. When I sent them an email they said it was supposed to be a light hearted article in honour of the famous Brummie sense of humour, or words to that effect, and then they changed it back :rolleyes:
lol the excuses are so transparent as well.
nulli tertius
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by AperfectBalance)
You would support a program about a Child who was a nazi that found it hard growing up in a school with black and jewish people and was always racist?
The BBC has continually made programmes about children growing up in Nazi Germany. The earliest that I can find in the Radio Times archive is a radio play from 1943.
username2763536
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Surely it doesn't make a difference.Transgender people have a mental illness called gender dysphoria.You can't catch a mental illness.A child will not suddenly decide that they have gender dysphoria if they watch a programme.This is like people worrying that children will turn gay of they are exposed to gay people.You can't turn gay.You're either gay or straight simples.In the same way you either have gender dysphoria or you don't.Maybe a child might be taken in for a few weeks but they will quickly grow out of it.
Dodgypirate
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by Mathemagicien)
People reacted the same way to homosexual "propaganda"; how is this any different?
Last time I checked, homosexuality isn't a mental illness.
the bear
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Now We Are Six....
Gwilym101
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
This seems a bit like teaching nuances of poetry to someone who can't read or write, the way its reported here. It could however depend on what the focus of the show is. If its the ins and outs of having a sex change which is what critics are saying it is, I'd have thought it a waste because 6 year olds aren't going to have the vaguest comprehension of what it is on about.

If its more about the social implications like bullying and anxiety which is what supporters say it is, that maybe worthwhile, hammering it into people from a young age "some people are different, don't be an ********".
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (481)
59.46%
Yes- I don't like it (43)
5.32%
No- I want it (231)
28.55%
No- I don't want it (54)
6.67%

Watched Threads