Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys. I have had 6 driving lessons in the same car, which have gone really well so far and I find it fairly easy. Recently, I have begun driving my dads car, and I find it so much harder compared to during my lessons. I keep stalling (which I never do in lessons) and I don't even really know why. Anyone else had a similar situation? Advice would be appreciated.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like the typical sort of scenario... Let me guess, your instructor has a diesel and your dad has a petrol?

If that's the case... Diesels have more torque at the lower RPMs. Torque is basically pulling power, the more torque you've got, the more weight you can move. This makes diesels pretty forgiving with the clutch. If you're trying to move off with just the clutch, don't. Most diesels can handle it fine, but with petrols it's a hit or miss, some can do it, some can't.

ReputationRep:
    It seems a lot of people have this issue, so you're not alone here.
    The most likely scenario is that your dads car is a petrol whereas your instructors is a diesel.
    As the above poster said, diesel cars have more torque at lower RPM's therefore making them harder to stall as you'll move more just on the clutch alone.

I'll admit that jumping from a diesel you've driven all day into a petrol makes he petrol pretty damn hard to drive! You'll stall it a few times just because you're adapting to it again.

So petrol cars you'll need to use more revs in order to get the car to move off. Once you've got the biting point, apply the accelerator gently and rev to around 1500 rpm. Then slowly lift up the clutch further and the car should start moving forwards more.

The only other explanation I can think of is that the clutch position may be slightly different in your dads car (I.e the biting point is higher or lower). This will cause difficulties when driving two different cars that you're not entirely used to.
    The only way around this is to practise, practise and practise.
    The more you drive your dads car, the less you'll stall.

But just remember, everyone stalls. Even people who've been driving for 30+ years

Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    petrol vs diesel maybe?

the bite is a little different

ReputationRep:
    Petrol's will need power + clutch

Diesel just needs the clutch to move off and a tad gas.

If you are being flung from Diesel to Petrol and vice versa it's not comfortable at first but you get used to it.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.