Turn on thread page Beta

Does networking only work with AOL 8? watch

ReputationRep:
    I've been told that x-box live can only work if you have aol 8 is that true?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Widowmaker)
    no, i remember it was part of an offer for NTL as well.

ReputationRep:
    works with aol8+

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Widowmaker)
    nah, it works with any broaband connection, you just need to set up a network for it to work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Revelation)
    nah, it works with any broaband connection, you just need to set up a network for it to work.
    nah aol software connects to the web using it's own interfact and not windows dialler so you can't set ICS on anything lower than aol 8. but using aol 8 it enables the ability to do ICS. however you can go on aol broadband without aol software XD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by operato)
    nah aol software connects to the web using it's own interfact and not windows dialler so you can't set ICS on anything lower than aol 8. but using aol 8 it enables the ability to do ICS. however you can go on aol broadband without aol software XD
    i thought he meant AOL 8.0 and only that :eek: but yeh if you have AOL you need AOl 8.0 - I did once have aol :'(

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Revelation)
    i thought he meant AOL 8.0 and only that :eek: but yeh if you have AOL you need AOl 8.0 - I did once have aol :'(
    YOU DON'T NEED AOL SOFTWARE TO CONNECT TO ADSL!!!

ReputationRep:
    I might downgrade, or get rid of aol altogether.

ReputationRep:
    You simply need an internet connection to use Xbox live. A router connected to your broadband modem (or a built in one) will do the trick.

ReputationRep:
    AOL sucks. If it required AOL to run i would not buy it on principle!

ReputationRep:
    to run aol broadband you can use windows dialler. since i'm not on windows any more i can't provide any screenshots to help you out.

setup windows dialler

username: [email protected]
    pass: yourpass
    dial number: 0,38
    using whatever adsl modem

whenever you need the aol client you can set it to run on top of the dialler using the tcp/ip option

in aol...
    sign on options
    edit modem
    other dialup isp or lan

ReputationRep:
    Yeh, im on aol broadband (not my choice, believe me), but I dont use the aol software.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Baron)
    Yeh, im on aol broadband (not my choice, believe me), but I dont use the aol software.
    broadband isn't really that much different from other isps ¬_¬

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by operato)
    broadband isn't really that much different from other isps ¬_¬
    do you mean that AOL broadband doesnt differ from other ISPs, or that broadband isnt that different between ISPs? Not strictly true! Even different ADSL providers have different bandwidths, because they only share the so-called "last mile", ie. the copper connecting your house and the exchange. From the exchange to the interworldwebnet, the ISPs own connections vary, meaning variance in speeds. Also, some ISPs have restrictions on how much you can transfer in 1 month.

Of course, when you look at cable as well, there are obviously differences in the services, down to reliability, price, convenience, bandwidth etc. between it and ADSL.

ReputationRep:
    I think he is reffering to the fact that there is no real difference in the connection. You can use it the same as any other connection. Sure it may have a different bandwith or download limit, but they all connect to the same old internet, and what you can do with one, you can do with the other.

ReputationRep:
    I meant aol wasnt my choice. I don't like aol very much, they try and make you use their software.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Baron)
    I meant aol wasnt my choice. I don't like aol very much, they try and make you use their software.
    not many people with aol broadband use aol software all of the time...

broadband is fairly a homogenus in that they basically resell bt wholesale.

aside from the product differentiated products, the common broadband package is fairly the same across the board. however, performance is really dependent on your line quality and distance from exchange. so you can't say one isp is better than the other for download speeds.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 1, 2004
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.