Turn on thread page Beta

Thinking of changing uni after first year... watch

ReputationRep:
    I started uni last month which is 5 hours away from home. I enjoy the course itself and the independence side of uni doesn't phase me but I think I was a bit naïve choosing to come so far away from home. I know I've only been here a month and many people would say I'm still getting used to the lifestyle change but I'm just not enjoying it as much as I thought I would. I have many friends at home and I am very close to my family. I'm also in a relationship with someone from home which makes things a lot more difficult. I had such high expectations coming to uni and it's just not what I expected. I'm definitely a person who likes to make the most of the day by getting up early and being productive and busy but uni has taken that out of me. I'm in uni just over 10 hours a week so I find myself lounging around not really doing much and I hate it. I've recently been considering transferring to a uni closer to home to carry on a similar degree for second year but possibly commuting to and from uni whilst living at home. Has anyone done this? Is it the right decision?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by furry930148)
    I started uni last month which is 5 hours away from home. I enjoy the course itself and the independence side of uni doesn't phase me but I think I was a bit naïve choosing to come so far away from home. I know I've only been here a month and many people would say I'm still getting used to the lifestyle change but I'm just not enjoying it as much as I thought I would. I have many friends at home and I am very close to my family. I'm also in a relationship with someone from home which makes things a lot more difficult. I had such high expectations coming to uni and it's just not what I expected. I'm definitely a person who likes to make the most of the day by getting up early and being productive and busy but uni has taken that out of me. I'm in uni just over 10 hours a week so I find myself lounging around not really doing much and I hate it. I've recently been considering transferring to a uni closer to home to carry on a similar degree for second year but possibly commuting to and from uni whilst living at home. Has anyone done this? Is it the right decision?
    If you'll be happier going to a uni closer to home then by all means go for it. However consider that contact time doesn't vary hugely across most unis and decreases each year of the course. So whichever uni you are at, its up to you to structure your day wisely. Just because you only have 10 hours contact time doesn't mean you haven't got work you can be doing. And remember it isn't your call as to whether you can enter 2nd year, its entirely up to the university admissions to decide if your first year has suitably prepared you for the rest of their course.

ReputationRep:
    There's a University Transfer FAQ that might have some more helpful posts. I transferred after my first year but I was commuting last year too, so as for living away from home I can't be much help. Transferring isn't as difficult or as strict as people on here say it is, so you shouldn't feel like it's not an option at all. Start by researching all of the unis you're interested in, try to make sure you meet their A Level criteria as this will give you a better chance, and then send out some emails to their admissions offices saying your A Level grades, where and what you study, and what you're expected to achieve this year. Simple ask if you would be eligible to apply to transfer into Year 2 of X course if you were to make a UCAS application, and whether they have a cut off date for UCAS applications from transfer students. Make your enquiries as early as possible, even if you're not 100% sure right now. Then in a few months if you're still interested in transferring you can make a new UCAS and apply. Even if you're certain you want to transfer right now, it's not worth applying this early because you probably haven't done any assignments yet so you won't have any marks to show them to give them an indication of how you're doing academically so far at uni.

ReputationRep:
    I think you should commit properly to your university and try and give it a proper go before you give up and transfer. Force yourself to do more, join some societies if you've got too much time on your hands and keep busy.

ReputationRep:
    I was in a similar position to you and transferred from UEA to Bristol. I'll be the first to say: you'll most likely regret it.
    Especially if you're going back to living with parents. It's just not the same after you've had the taste of independent living.

ReputationRep:
    Hey! I’m interested, did you change uni’s? I’m looking to do the same as you for exactly the same reasons.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.