Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone

It's dawned on me that I'm not eating well at the moment and this is what's holding me back with fitness despite hitting the gym most days a week. Instead of following diet/nutrition plans, I think it'd suit me more to just track macros to ensure I'm eating enough of the correct things each day.

My problem is... How should I calculate my macro targets? I've looked on a few websites but they're telling me quite different things.

I think I need to eat around 1800-2000 calories a day, based on my calculations. IIFYM calculator is suggesting I break this down into roughly 60% carbs, 25% protein and 15% fat. This is based off me being roughly 165cm and 60kg, and looking to lose some fat and gain muscle (not bothered about weight loss/gain). Most of the day I sit around at a desk but I do hiit/weights 5 days a week for around 40 minutes each day, and also jog/walk once a week.

Sorry for rambling a bit, not sure what information will be relevant. I'm happy enough with the actual tracking of my macros, but I'm not sure what targets I should be looking at?

Thanks in advance!

ReputationRep:
    There are 4 calories per gram of protein
    4 calories in a gram of carbs
    9 calories in a gram of fat

so, based on your macro ratio you listed above on a 2000 calorie diet, you should consume:
    1200 calories (300g)from carbs,
    500 calories (125g) from protein
    and 300 calories (33g) of fats.

This is all roughly so don't worry if it is slightly above or under this each day.

Hope this helps! There's a good app called myfitness pal which I use to track macros but don't become too obsessed over them - you're allowed to relax at times as well

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.