Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi there, I'm aware that during freshers week, its your opportunity to meet new people and often people go out drinking and partying. I personally don't like parties or drinking, large crowds and loud noises make me very anxious so I would definitely avoid any sort of club. Do you think this will prevent me from meeting new people? Are there other people who don't go out clubbing? Any tips on meeting people other than parties?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by starley1234)
    Hi there, I'm aware that during freshers week, its your opportunity to meet new people and often people go out drinking and partying. I personally don't like parties or drinking, large crowds and loud noises make me very anxious so I would definitely avoid any sort of club. Do you think this will prevent me from meeting new people? Are there other people who don't go out clubbing? Any tips on meeting people other than parties?
    There will be people like you who don't like clubbing and drinking, however you may need to make the effort to go out and find them. Societies plus talking to coursemates is usually the best way. In your position I would also consider either living at home or specifying a quiet flat as generally especially for the first few weeks university halls can be quiet noisy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jelly1000)
    There will be people like you who don't like clubbing and drinking, however you may need to make the effort to go out and find them. Societies plus talking to coursemates is usually the best way. In your position I would also consider either living at home or specifying a quiet flat as generally especially for the first few weeks university halls can be quiet noisy.
    Thankyou, it's nice to know I won't be the only one. I don't mind putting in the extra effort so fingers crossed it'll be okay.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Hello,

Not at all! There are plenty of people that feel the same as you when they start university - you'll meet these people and you'll get along. It won't hinder your ability to meet people and make friends as long as you put the effort in in other ways. Talk to people in your flat, on your course, join societies and such! There are plenty of other opportunities to meet people in Freshers week!

You'll be okay!

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JustGeorgeJ)
    Hello,

Not at all! There are plenty of people that feel the same as you when they start university - you'll meet these people and you'll get along. It won't hinder your ability to meet people and make friends as long as you put the effort in in other ways. Talk to people in your flat, on your course, join societies and such! There are plenty of other opportunities to meet people in Freshers week!

You'll be okay!

Good luck!
    thank you, you've really put my mind at ease, i was worrying so much that I'd be the weirdo 😂 Ive heard that keeping your room door open is good as it invites your flatmates to talk to you as well
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    thank you, you've really put my mind at ease, i was worrying so much that I'd be the weirdo 😂 Ive heard that keeping your room door open is good as it invites your flatmates to talk to you as well
    Always a very good idea! Keep your door open and people will often pop their head in and say hi and such!

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Keele University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  2. University of Melbourne
    Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  3. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.