The Student Room Group

Parties during fresher's week

Hi there, I'm aware that during freshers week, its your opportunity to meet new people and often people go out drinking and partying. I personally don't like parties or drinking, large crowds and loud noises make me very anxious so I would definitely avoid any sort of club. Do you think this will prevent me from meeting new people? Are there other people who don't go out clubbing? Any tips on meeting people other than parties?
Original post by starley1234
Hi there, I'm aware that during freshers week, its your opportunity to meet new people and often people go out drinking and partying. I personally don't like parties or drinking, large crowds and loud noises make me very anxious so I would definitely avoid any sort of club. Do you think this will prevent me from meeting new people? Are there other people who don't go out clubbing? Any tips on meeting people other than parties?

There will be people like you who don't like clubbing and drinking, however you may need to make the effort to go out and find them. Societies plus talking to coursemates is usually the best way. In your position I would also consider either living at home or specifying a quiet flat as generally especially for the first few weeks university halls can be quiet noisy.
Reply 2
Original post by jelly1000
There will be people like you who don't like clubbing and drinking, however you may need to make the effort to go out and find them. Societies plus talking to coursemates is usually the best way. In your position I would also consider either living at home or specifying a quiet flat as generally especially for the first few weeks university halls can be quiet noisy.

Thankyou, it's nice to know I won't be the only one. I don't mind putting in the extra effort so fingers crossed it'll be okay.

Hello,

Not at all! There are plenty of people that feel the same as you when they start university - you'll meet these people and you'll get along. It won't hinder your ability to meet people and make friends as long as you put the effort in in other ways. Talk to people in your flat, on your course, join societies and such! There are plenty of other opportunities to meet people in Freshers week!

You'll be okay!

Good luck!
Reply 4
Original post by JustGeorgeJ
Hello,

Not at all! There are plenty of people that feel the same as you when they start university - you'll meet these people and you'll get along. It won't hinder your ability to meet people and make friends as long as you put the effort in in other ways. Talk to people in your flat, on your course, join societies and such! There are plenty of other opportunities to meet people in Freshers week!

You'll be okay!

Good luck!

thank you, you've really put my mind at ease, i was worrying so much that I'd be the weirdo 😂 Ive heard that keeping your room door open is good as it invites your flatmates to talk to you as well
thank you, you've really put my mind at ease, i was worrying so much that I'd be the weirdo 😂 Ive heard that keeping your room door open is good as it invites your flatmates to talk to you as well

Always a very good idea! Keep your door open and people will often pop their head in and say hi and such!

Quick Reply

Latest